Notices

92 days off -cause of addiction !

Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

92 days off -cause of addiction !

Hi folks,
I am 92 days alcohol free .I found my cause of drinking as follows.
Fear and insecurity is the major cause of drinking and hiding .Most of the time it gave me false confidence .Therefore it has been a good friend of mine for more than 2 decades.
I was shy so it masked me up it many occasions.It gave me a short term companionship for it's long term benefits.Addiction loves making people lost totally,gives life long disability and kill them .
Now I do not need to mask up my fear ,shy,insecurity but conquer it .
So folks I would you like to share your experiences in conquering fear and doubts for long run.
I am doing the mix up of the following on my own.
1.Prayers.
2.Positive affirmation.
3.Meditation.
4.Visualisation.
5.CBT therapy.
However all are on my own.
Now I am looking for a community of spiritual people not religious. I need strength I cant fight on my own.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hearty congrats on hitting 90 days plus Paul

D
Old 08-08-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

i am a bit different. I drank because I was addicted.

i am an addict for life.

no amount of therapy, time, rationalization, health improvements, etc etc blah blah...will ever change the fact that I am an addict.

i got addicted to booze as a little kid. I didn't realize the depth of my addiction and the results of my addiction to the good Lord provided me with this site.

SR saved my life.

I learned what has happened to my brain and that my brain will never never ever ever fully repair.

The brain is a magical thing though. It can rewire and things that used to seem upside down because of drinking are now right side up.

Some original parts of my brain are dead, never to return. Other, less effective parts have taken over.

If I ever drink again I will immediately feel some if not all of the same hell on earth I felt when I initially quit. The gotcha is....this time the crazy may take 8 years to go away. This last time it has taken about 4 years.

My house is pretty clean these days. I am making some sound, confident, sober moves.

I get dopamine now from silly things like watching a funny show, or hugging my dog.

I don't need booze to feel good any more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

3 months is epic! Thanks for sharing your toolbox. You are really working this!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your increasing sober time.

The best suggestion I ever got to bolster my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. Made a huge difference in my attitude. Made me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you find a few like minded people, Paulsandy. You sound like you’re already doing well on your own, though. Don’t underestimate your own ability as 92 days is a big achievement.

It must be getting easier with each day?

Everyone’s different. I’m 219 days give or take a few, and there’s no doubt the urge has pretty much gone, only popping back occasionally now. You should be feeling similar or not?
Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On day 91 here and walking down a very similar path. Did DBT instead of CBT but I am sure they are probably pretty similar! I am also not a religious person in the traditional sense but have more of a sense of the greater good now that I am sober and looking for bigger things in life than my next drink. Fear and insecurity has been a major trigger for me in the past as well. Always feeling not good enough what is the point has led me back to drinking at times but not this time! Glad to hear fellow site members are doing so well!
Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on 92 days. Make it a great 93, 94...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I try and find activities that give pleasure and a sense of achievement. So far it is working. 5 months now.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
i am a bit different. I drank because I was addicted.

i am an addict for life.

no amount of therapy, time, rationalization, health improvements, etc etc blah blah...will ever change the fact that I am an addict.

i got addicted to booze as a little kid. I didn't realize the depth of my addiction and the results of my addiction to the good Lord provided me with this site.

SR saved my life.

I learned what has happened to my brain and that my brain will never never ever ever fully repair.

The brain is a magical thing though. It can rewire and things that used to seem upside down because of drinking are now right side up.

Some original parts of my brain are dead, never to return. Other, less effective parts have taken over.

If I ever drink again I will immediately feel some if not all of the same hell on earth I felt when I initially quit. The gotcha is....this time the crazy may take 8 years to go away. This last time it has taken about 4 years.

My house is pretty clean these days. I am making some sound, confident, sober moves.

I get dopamine now from silly things like watching a funny show, or hugging my dog.

I don't need booze to feel good any more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Yes we need permanent and NATURAL source of dopamine which we receive from our natural immune system.
you take care !!
Keep going and never get back to bloody addiction again.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on your increasing sober time.

The best suggestion I ever got to bolster my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. Made a huge difference in my attitude. Made me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Thank you for sharing and please stay sober hydrated ...!!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
On day 91 here and walking down a very similar path. Did DBT instead of CBT but I am sure they are probably pretty similar! I am also not a religious person in the traditional sense but have more of a sense of the greater good now that I am sober and looking for bigger things in life than my next drink. Fear and insecurity has been a major trigger for me in the past as well. Always feeling not good enough what is the point has led me back to drinking at times but not this time! Glad to hear fellow site members are doing so well!
Please do whatever works for you .What we believe that works really .
All are tools and matching and rapport is the key !!
Welldone and congrats for your sober life.
regards
Old 08-09-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I try and find activities that give pleasure and a sense of achievement. So far it is working. 5 months now.
5 months isca great task ..If you can do 5 months so you can do further ...1 day at a time is not a big deal for you ...