Notices

I Drank Today

Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Drank Today

3 weeks sober, I stopped taking acamprosate and am drunk. I couldn't resist my brain and came home from work and bought vodka. As the Beatles say I'm a loser
Old 08-07-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you drank kbm but you are most certainly NOT a loser. Was the acamprosate working for you before you stopped taking it? You had 3 weeks so you can do this!
Old 08-07-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did the Beatles say that?? Some fan I am, I never heard that song.

Sorry, a little levity to your situation, as I'm sure you're probably hurting. I've been there. In fact, lately I feel all too close to your situation. Not yet enough to drink but closer than I care to be.

I'm glad you're here and I'm glad I am too.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

making it to three weeks is fantastic. I'm sure it didn't come easy. I think the important thing is not to make this one setback to become a long term problem. Pour out what you have left and start again tomorrow. And making a mistake doesn't make you a loser, it just means you are not perfect and stuff happens. Its what you with it that makes the difference. John
Old 08-07-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not a loser, you're an addict. It takes a lot of work staying sober and sometimes we give in to the urge. I hope you'll shore up your sobriety program and try again.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always find it perplexing when people say "pour out what you have left"..Never, ever in my alcoholic history could I just pour out alcohol once I started drinking.

I drink until I pass out and then possibly there is a better chance tomorrow. I feel like if you beat yourself up over this...slip...you will continue to drink...cause why not.

I never call myself a "loser" when I fall....I call myself someone that has an alcohol problem that needs a solution to end it
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Someday 147 yes acamprosate was working, but it makes me so tired!! It is hard to keep it up and get everything I need to get done! Stopped just one day and here I am...
Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Beatles also say 'there's nothing you can do that can't be done'

I'm sorry you drank but you can make this a momentary blip rather than a relapse event.

I'm going to tell you to pour the rest out too

I was never able to do that either - until I found SR. One bad day I bought a bottle...I was able to dump it out unopened before I got home.

Haven;t had that problem since

If I could find it in myself to do that, anyone can.

It is possible to stop this today and never have to feel this way again kbm

D
Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Acamprosate is not a cure for drinking, but a tool to use to stop drinking. You drank because you wanted to drink. I couldn't stay sober either until I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this kbm! Be sober for yourself, and for those who love you! Keep talking and reading here. We know what you're going through and we 're on your side. We also know that the process of ridding your mind and body of alcohol is hard, can take awhile and is definitely doable. Be well!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kbm697 View Post
Someday 147 yes acamprosate was working, but it makes me so tired!! It is hard to keep it up and get everything I need to get done! Stopped just one day and here I am...
I remember having to take ridiculous amounts of this drug a day. I think it was 3 pills 3x a day....I talked to my Dr and told her that I was OK taking just 3 pills a day and had no cravings...and she said whatever works.

I would ask your Dr about your dosage..maybe it is too high for you if it is making you drowsy. I know it helped me to not have any cravings...and I still drank back when I was taking (just because I wanted to or was in a situation where there was drinking and I wanted to drink) it but I also noticed I drank less.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dont give up kbm! Keep checking in at SR for support. Are you working a program or twelve steps? It wasn’t enough for me to just stop drinking. I had to do a lot of inner work and change myself - my habits, thoughts, beliefs, coping strategies, etc. I went to individual therapy the first year on a weekly basis. I still practice meditation, yoga, exercise, gratitude everyday. These tools really help me.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Did the Beatles say that?? Some fan I am, I never heard that song.

Sorry, a little levity to your situation, as I'm sure you're probably hurting. I've been there. In fact, lately I feel all too close to your situation. Not yet enough to drink but closer than I care to be.

I'm glad you're here and I'm glad I am too.
WO, I’m glad you are here too! You are over six months sober now, right? You are doing awesome! I remember some of your other recent posts and it seems like you are going through a craving phase? I went through that a year ago. It lasted a while but it did go away. One thing that helped is going back to therapy and coming here more regularly. I’m so much stronger now. I know that you do check in here often, which is great. Just know that this will pass as long as you don’t give in.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I always find it perplexing when people say "pour out what you have left"..Never, ever in my alcoholic history could I just pour out alcohol once I started drinking.

I drink until I pass out and then possibly there is a better chance tomorrow. I feel like if you beat yourself up over this...slip...you will continue to drink...cause why not.
Lol, yeah I always think the same. I think I'd have rather thrown money away than pour out what's left when in drinking throes. I just have to have no alcohol at home.

Three weeks is really good too.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for your great support and advice!!! I am getting counseling, meditating and doing yoga and a check in program online. Thankfully, I only bought a small bottle of vodka with only about 4 shots. I am going to take everybody's advice and start fresh today. The Acamprosate really does curb my cravings so I am going to talk to my doctor and see if a little less will help to not make me so drowsy. Being tired and overwhelmed by everything I have to do is definitely a trigger!!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All the best and keep going. It will stick.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think he means the next morning when you wake up to pour out whatever is remaining.

So tomorrow morning is a new day. Up and at 'em