Notices

Why don't the police do anything about drug dealing

Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why don't the police do anything about drug dealing

I basically stopped doing street drugs when i stopped drinking but I have had various addictions in the past.

When i was using though If anything ever happened to one of my dealers i would just call another dealer, or at a push just ask in the "right" places.
So without missing a beat i would get whatever i needed/desired . I never thought much of it at the time just felt lucky i lived in a city flooded with drugs.

I suppose because i have the experience and because they make it so obvious i spot drug deals everywhere, and people waiting on corners for drugs, or drug dealers waiting on punters etc

Now if i can spot this, how comes the old bill cant, or can they but they cosider them small fish? Even if they did they could take them dealers of the street, save 1 place getting robbed for someones fix, because if the drugs werent there, they wouldnt be desperate to get that cash for their fix. Maybe that mum buying crack can buy her kids dinner instead.

Aswell as seeing these blatant deals on street corners you see houses with people in and out all day, That are obviously dealers. Im in west london and theres 4 homeless people around a flashy BMW, handing cash through the window???

A couple of police crews could spend a day in these areas and not only arrest god only knows how many dealers, but put other people of from selling. Start at the ground level, thats where the cash starts.

Whats the story here? Is it just London? Or do you have dealers doing their business with impunity in your area?

Thats without even starting on these drug lines they share, doing happy hours and 2 for 1 tuesdays etc.

You can bet if youve ever been robbed of anything, that item has been sold to get money for one of these ground level dealers, so surely they are worth arresting?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not sure about where you live, but around here I know that the police spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with drug related crime. I have friends who are police and anecdotally they tell me that probably at least half of every call they go on is related to drugs in some way. Problem is though, you'll never catch them all as the power of addiction is stronger than the power of the law IMHO. People will do anything - literally to get their fix. Stealing, battery, even killing is an option for some to make sure you can get high.

Not sure there is a solution to be honest.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess you just know what to look for based on your past addictions. I have never done illegal drugs (I'm an alcoholic). I wouldn't know a drug deal going down if it was in front of me. I also am extremely conscientous about where I go and times. I would like to think the police are doing everything they can.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good post.

I'm a Londoner from the east side (east end) and while I agree with your observations and experience I think that the scale of the industry has moved well beyond the ability of law enforcement personnel to deal with by arrest. I think we need an education based culture change, a more grown up approach if you will. This takes time, money and effort and i'm not sure if the public have reached that point yet.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know here in the US they go after the big dealers b/c the jails are overrun with addicts. The jail is overcrowded and many jurisdictions are being sued because they are not set up to medically watch over nor treat an addict. It's a horrible situation.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm all for decriminalization and effective treatment.

We've been trying to solve the 'drug problem' for years through law enforcement. It's an expensive and ineffective solution.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Where I live the local police turn a blind eye. It’s only the big police crime units that do anything.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always able to find a bag of pot too - but I haven't done that now for 12 years

My dealers presumably are still out there, so for me at least the problem was not really the dealers.

D
Old 08-05-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As long as there's a market, there will always be a seller.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I used to blame others for offering or advertising or selling to me. But the reality is that if I didn’t buy it there wouldn’t be a market for it and the peddlers would go out of business. It’s a hard truth to accept but I made the choices and i have to accept that fact.

It’s not the police that are at fault, it’s the complexity of the British justice system / laws and funding that are the issue. The police don’t make the laws and from people I know in the force it frustrates them as much as it does you! Rather than ask why don’t they do X, Y or Z and if it bothers you that much ask “what can I do to change this? Take a night class in Law, join volunteer organisation who tackle street drugs and the effects, campaign and get involved in the change. Sitting around bemoaning these kind of things and taking no action only hurts your own health and well being. If getting involved and being part of the solution is not possible then the serenity prayer was made for this exact scenario. Just my 2 cents xx