Notices

Restless legs are driving me insane

Old 08-04-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless legs are driving me insane

I don't have them every night...but tonight I do and it is maddening.

Another thing that happens in early sobriety to me.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trying heating pad at the moment will let people know how it works..if it works.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I had it and it eventually went away. Think i woke up for about a month straight and took a hot bath in the middle of the night. Also just rubbed all over my body to distract myself. So sorry you are going through akathasia it is legit the worst!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Again not giving medical advice but my experience Magnesium supplements helped a bit in this department. Consult a DR but it really did the trick for me.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Had it all my life.

A little tonic water with quinine can help sometimes. Of course avoid it if it reminds you of gin or if you're allergic to quinine

Hope you get some rest Missy

D
Old 08-05-2019, 12:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Misssy,

Hope you feel better soon! I have been having the most insane and realistic dreams. I also have always suffered from sleep paralysis and have been experiencing that a bit too....freaky stuff.

Still so happy to be waking up sober every day though, I just smile.

Night!
Old 08-05-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to have that I guess. I would shake my legs to try to wear me out so I can try to sleep. That was 93 days ago. Now. I dont have it or do it. Hmm I wonder if not boozing helped.......Yep😁 sure did. Have a great day. Keep coming back
Old 08-05-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Misssy...

I have suffered from restless legs for years. Before going to be I put two ‘Restful Legs’ pills under my tongue and let them dissolve. It works! The product is made by Hyland’s...I order through Amazon.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Yeah I had it and it eventually went away. Think i woke up for about a month straight and took a hot bath in the middle of the night. Also just rubbed all over my body to distract myself. So sorry you are going through akathasia it is legit the worst!
Thank you.I don't have them every night...but it is so agitating. I am on Gabapentin which is supposed to help that and the heat did not help. Maybe a little it did...but not totally.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Again not giving medical advice but my experience Magnesium supplements helped a bit in this department. Consult a DR but it really did the trick for me.
I do a few times a week take Magnesium Citrate for "stress" and it really helps me fall asleep..I will take one tonight and notice if I have the Restless leg.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Had it all my life.

A little tonic water with quinine can help sometimes. Of course avoid it if it reminds you of gin or if you're allergic to quinine

Hope you get some rest Missy

D
Hi Dee! I never even had "tonic" water...when I drank it was beer or straight vodka..I don't know what quinine is....I will look it up. Just looked it up and it is a prescription...maybe I will ask my Dr cause it is THAT annoying. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
Misssy,

Hope you feel better soon! I have been having the most insane and realistic dreams. I also have always suffered from sleep paralysis and have been experiencing that a bit too....freaky stuff.

Still so happy to be waking up sober every day though, I just smile.

Night!

Hi I like dreaming..but sleep paralysis I have read about and that is really scary...but I do know what you mean when you say you still wake up smiling cause you are sober...LOVE IT...
Old 08-05-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
I used to have that I guess. I would shake my legs to try to wear me out so I can try to sleep. That was 93 days ago. Now. I dont have it or do it. Hmm I wonder if not boozing helped.......Yep😁 sure did. Have a great day. Keep coming back
I was doing everything the internet said..lol….shaking my legs, massaging my legs..getting up and walking, heat...nothing helped last night....eventually fell asleep thou....hahaha..Congrats on 93 days
Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Misssy...

I have suffered from restless legs for years. Before going to be I put two ‘Restful Legs’ pills under my tongue and let them dissolve. It works! The product is made by Hyland’s...I order through Amazon.
I am going to look these up and see how expensive they are because I think they would be worth trying...I was trying everything last night...its such an annoying problem when you are trying to relax.
Thank you
Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have them, mine are a nerve issue. I find yoga to help a lot.
It's worse after I drive my truck because it has the suspension of a dump truck.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I experienced RL in early sobriety too. I also had bad alcoholic neuropathy in both my feet and hands, especially my hands. Leg cramps too. As another posted, magnesium (and calcium) supplements helped with the camps and RL. The neuropathy was the scariest symptoms and I was worried it would never go away. It gradually lessened, but took at least 3 or 4 months to completely go away. Worst sensation ever. But glad to be reminded of things like this

If we stay completely sober, in most cases much of these symptoms should go away in time. It’s good to know the choice is up to us and we have the power to choose sobriety.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

RLS is an ongoing issue for me and I think I've tried everything. I don't think you mentioned ice, but that helps a bit sometimes. Someone suggested to me to try using support stockings, like the kind for diabetes. So, I was able to find some in the pharmacy that are knee-high. I usually put them on about an hour before bed which is when my RLS starts. And, it helps. Also when it wakes me up, I get up and put them on for half an hour. They can be useful on long airplane trips too.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Another timely post, misssy! Thanks...I’m just about driven out of my mind this week with RLS keeping me up all night, every night (I’m on day 34 and it only seemed to onset intensely about a week or so ago). The only other times I’ve had rls was while pregnant, and it’s a bit maddening. I’ve been taking the magnesium citrate supplements before bed, but I’m definitely interested in hearing stories of relief if anyone else has something encouraging to share
Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Restless legs are terrible! I tried a hot bath, with epsom salts, but mine usually started around 2-4 am and I was too tired to do that every night. Maybe try that before you go to bed?
Also, ask your Dr. about Neurontin causing the RL.
I'm on seizure medicine and if it gets too high, my RL kicks in so my Dr. lowers the amount. I do have Ativan if I get a seizure aura and that helps more than anything, but it IS a benzo so I don't know if that's a good option for you.
I agree that a good multi-vitamin should eventually help---- low magnesium, potassium, calcium can all cause RL.
But check out the side effects of Neurontin-I found it to be worthless for RL and it has some weird side effects.
Quinine is in regular tonic water so you don't need a prescription for it.
I hope you feel better!