Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hello, this is my first time here, I'm really hoping I can get some support.

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice for first few days\week without drinking?plz
Old 08-04-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Limechiffon View Post
Any advice for first few days\week without drinking?plz
I'm new as well.

Spending my night times at AA meetings, they help pass the time if nothing else! Wish you well...
Old 08-04-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad to have you here. My best advice would be to take care of yourself: lots of good food, stay hydrated, rest, relax, and be gentle to yourself. An acronym you’ll hear around here is HALT(S)- hungry, angry, lonely, tired, stressed. Sometimes HALTS can trigger cravings. A recovery plan is always a good idea as well.

Read around the boards, keep posting, and I look forward to seeing you around.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome you are at the right place if you want this(sobriety) that is what we on here. So stay tuned read other post share learn. Pray repeat. Keep coming back
Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The first few days/weeks can be rough, but with continued sober time it will get better. Eat good food, rest, and moderate exercise can help. I wish you the best.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome!
Post here often with your feelings and concerns. There is always someone willing to listen and offer support.
Glad you are here! How are you feeling?
Old 08-04-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Limechiffon.

Things that help me:

Reading; Allen Carr - Easyway to stop drinking [and this reading this forum -so much good stuff on here].

Listening: Annie Grace on You Tube

Walking, drinking lots of water, multi-vits, box sets for when I can't sleep (not recommended sleep hygiene but certainly beats clawing one's own brains out at night) and remembering that cravings do pass. Having a to-do list for when I am craving and remembering to be grateful for stuff.

I hope you stick close and look forward to making the journey with you.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember HALTS,
if you are
Hungry, eat
Angry- distract- go for a walk, breathing meditation (the 2 minute sort), write in a journal, talk to someone- and do not make decisions
Lonely- visit a friend, or if you are like me and have friends by appointment (the ones who are 'normal), I go anywhere there are humans, a library and borrow documentaries, a shopping centre and people watch, a coffee shop and read a book
Tired- nap, or thirsty- hydrate (more water, not just more coffee)
Sad/Stressed- talk to a professional
the important ones- rest, eat, hydrate.
Read here at SR, hours every day if need be, I did for a long time

Go to AA or SMART meetings (I did both)
See a GP about a health checkup (very important)
Do an activity way out of your normal range of daily life activities- I did a high ropes adventure day for instance, and that was not anything normal.
POST HERE LOTS! You have a large number of threads in the newcomer's forums to choose from.

Support to you.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome limechiffon

read around and post as much as you like - ask as many questions as you need to. see what ways people are staying sober and find the way that makes sense to you.

We're here for support 24/7
Glad to have you join us!

D
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first thing you need to plan for is craving. Pay attention to and write down when the thought first pops into your head and the last time it does. At first my window was about 2-7 in the afternoon/evening. At first, script every minute of your craving window. Plan what you are going to do during those hours. Of course you need to plan out other parts of your recovery like finding daily reliable support, but the craving issue is one of the immediate obstacles. Your craving window will begin to shrink and it will become easier to manage but your alcoholic voice will always try to talk you into any reason to drink. Glad to have you here on SR Limechiffon.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Without knowing more of your background, I'd say read around and see what resonates with you. Ask any question you need to.

There's the physical aspect--recovering from alcohol takes time. Eat what you need to, drink lots of water, get some exercise if you can, and talk to a doctor if you're concerned.

For me, the emotional part was much harder. Learning to live without alcohol as a way of dealing with life and as an identity. There are different ways of dealing with this, so see what helps you.

You're not alone.

And getting sober was the best decision I ever made. Best wishes to you.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. Since joining here in April it is by far the longest sobriety time I have ever had! Keep active in your recovery either on here or in person. For me actively posting several times a day really helped. Take it easy and be patient don't try to do everything at once baby steps. Find some healthy hobbies and lifestyle changes again baby steps won't happen over night. I found going to gym early in the morning and eating much healthier has helped keep me on track. If I am in bed by 10-11. I am not out at a bar drinking. Reach out if you need help and don't isolate, the first 2 weeks can be rough but gets much better after you get through initial withdrawals. Think the trickiest part is when you start to feel fine again and think oh I will just have a few next time. Amazing how many times I did that in the past after nursing a terrible hangover. You will have many up and down emotions early on, won't be easy but face them and learn to deal with them. I know personally I used alcohol as an escape when I did want to face things. Learning to deal with unpleasant things in life instead of drowning them out is important. Goodluck!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Limechiffon. I'm glad you've decided to kick alcohol out of your life. It brings nothing but misery.

When I found SR I was so thankful that I never had to feel alone again. Someone's always around to listen and understand what you're going through. I hope you'll keep talking to us - it helps with the anxiety you're feeling in the early days. You can do this!