Notices

Emotional day

Old 08-04-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional day

I feel like my whole world is collapsing in on me. I am feeling threatened by reality even though I know there is nothing really wrong. Mountains out of molehills. I am paranoid. Is this common?
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Daisy- I'm not sure how far along in sobriety you are, but I relate to the "crushing weight" kind of feelings, especially early on. Remembering that they come- and will pass- and that things will even out as we go along (tho we will always have highs and lows in life) as long as we don't drink

Glad you are sharing with us!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had intermittent feelings of impending doom while drinking and for at least a year after I quit.

It added to my compulsion to drink and want to drink.

I had undiagnosed, of course, moderate agoraphobia for well over a year. I was afraid of shadows while driving. At night, reflections and light beams made me jump. My heart would be beating out of my chest.

I needed a drink. But, that would only lengthen the healing process. I suffered through drug free.

It got better for sure, but it wasn't like it healed.

It was more like I got used to it...then it got better.

I still feel like I am running on borrowed time, but I don't care anymore about it.

I try to enjoy life because being sober all the time makes life more enjoyable.

I really enjoyed yesterday, I napped all day and went to bed early.

I have been heavily sleep deprived because of my job and life.

I was averaging about 5 hours a night with a nap here and there.

I have a job where the boss lets us nap at our desks because we work super early and have a long drive.

Other sections actually have beds to nap in. I nap in my chair. My coworker says it is where he gets his best sleep. Lol.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober life..... Is the life😃 keep coming back
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I think it's common to feel like you can't cope with much of anything and to feel overwhelmed. It might help you to write down some of the things that are bothering you, and then try to come up with some solutions. It will get easier.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had those same feelings in the early days, daisy. After all, we're learning to live in a different way - our emotions are raw. For me, everything settled down & I began to feel grateful for the new me - even the challenges.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you for being reassuring. sometimes it feels like riptide. but certainly sober is so much better.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like the "demon" of alcohol is trying to talk you into its grip.

It can take a long time to learn how to live with feelings...Its a lot of energy to go thru feelings and much easier to drink..and I have done that many times...drank.

And of course end up feeling worse.

Its hard for me the live life without a drink..right now at 40 days..but I know from the past if I keep trying...life can get better or can get worse...but I found out that I could get thru many feelings and situations that I never thought I could or that I never went thru before without a drink and I was still alive....feeling very well.....and many, many more days HAPPY when sober than when drunk...no matter what was going on.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everyone that it's normal to have moments of fear and doubt - which is why reaching out and using resources like SR is so important.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow Daisy

D
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good replies above.
Join SR threads, research, read, learn.
Support to y
Old 08-04-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know I had to learn how to deal with everything sober - the good and the not so good.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I can relate dealing with ups and downs of life is new for me as well as in the past used substances to numb everything. Paranoia is very common and it gets better with time. Your body and mind are healing and will continue to heal the longer you stay sober. Stay Strong!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It’s only natural, felt the same way. Made a mess of my life . Stay sober focus on the day. The feelings fade after a while.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had terrible anxiety, crushing fear, debilitating self-doubt, dark sadness, you name it. And then I'd have moments of euphoria. I began to wonder if I had a mental illness. But it was just the ups and downs of early sobriety as my brain sorted things out.

I still have my issues, but they're much more manageable now. Like everyone else, I think it's normal to experience what you're going through. It does get better.

Give it time, write things down, try to focus on gratitude and positive things. These sorts of things really can help.

Wishing you well.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy,

I felt that way in the beginning as well, and still do every now and then. One thing I started early in recovery and still use is mindfulness. I have a few apps: calm and headspace are two. There are also lots of free videos or podcasts. You can work on breathing, and just staying in the moment. Yoga and meditation classes are great for this as well.

Hang in there, it gets easier, and life is much easier to handle sober.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this.

While drinking I always had this anxiety and as I got worse, I began to have feelings of dread...like I was going to die and it was fact. The fear was crippling, the dread would rise up to my head as a heat. It was the strangest thing I have ever experienced. I realized it was my fear of continuing to drink and the fact that I knew if I did it would kill me. I was terrified all of the time.

I am so much better now. I still worry but I am much more reasonable about my feelings and emotions. It got better and it will for you as well.

Meditation and prayer have been helping. Meetings help as well, knowing that I have the support 24/7 and SR of course. Checking in here is the last thing I do every night and I love being able to let things out.

I know you'll be better soon, keep it up.