Notices

Day 3...New Member here

Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3...New Member here

This is my fifth attempt in less than a year at quitting drinking, and I'm determined to make it stick. Though my withdrawals are limited to some tremors, generalized discomfort and slight insomnia, this time around they are more noticeable and uncomfortable. I really need to get through this early part of the process.

In the past, I've only been able to make it five days; at which point I say, " see...I can stop," and resume drinking. I live alone in a rural area and have been left to my own devices in an unfamiliar area for three years, (with my alcoholism progressively getting worse) but will be relocating back to my hometown in four months. I'd like to be more than a shell of my former self when I do so.

I've been lurking for several days here, and after reading many different posts, can safely say that everyone here seems very positive and community oriented. I appreciate everything I've read, and look forward to maintaining my sobriety knowing that SR provides a very helpful resource to people struggling with addiction, and those who are steadfast in their recovery.

Thank you,

Ian38
Old 07-31-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Ian! Lots of support here. What options are you looking at for IRL support as well?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm still unfamiliar with some abbreviations. IRL support?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In real life - like AA, a therapist, another kind of support group....
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Ian! You'll find lots of support and useful info here.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Of course!!! Real life ha!!! Well, I've decided to attend some AA meetings in my area. I've been keeping busy with neglected chores, yard work, playing music, etc. I keep close contact with family and friends back home, and they're really supportive. I've always been kind of lone wolf about things, but I know I need some support, so I think going to some meetings is really necessary. I'm mostly keeping a day-to-day, hour-by-hour, positive frame right now. Each night that I don't succumb to boredom or habit feels like a small win.

One of the things I read here that really made this time feel different, was the post about kindling?? The notion that you can't recondition yourself into a moderate drinker after crossing a certain threshold. That has been tattooed into my subconscious. It was an awful eureka moment, because I've been under this delusion that I can somehow go back to that, but I've been drinking every night for way too long.

Truth is, I just want to know what it's like to be totally sober. I gave up Marijuana a while back, after cycling between it and moderate alcohol intake for most of my adult life. It's really been in the last three years that I've been losing control with the drinking, and doing it every night. There's an AA meeting in a town not far from me at 8:00 tonight that I might attend. Whether I contribute or not, I just need to be doing something besides sitting at home.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Going to bed sober and waking up sober is amazing and I'm only working on 27 days. I don't have to wonder if and who I dunk dialed or texted the previous night. Plus a lot of small little other things that make me think, what the hell was I doing.
Take it min. by min. and day by day.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian. Wish you all the best with your meeting
Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Yes, you've found a great place for support.
I think going to a meeting is a great idea. Have you been before?
I hope you stick around and keep posting. And remember, you never have to drink again.
Best to you.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ian, Welcome!

You're right, alcoholism is a progressive disease and things do get worse as we continue drinking. I'm glad you are ready to stop drinking and live a sober life. There is lots of support here, so I hope you keep posting.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian! If you can do 5 you can do more. The early days are hard, lots of unfamiliar (and not overly pleasant) things going on, but they get better! Don’t stop at 5
Old 07-31-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Ian

D
Old 07-31-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian, I think you'll like it here. Congrats on 3 days.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ian..you are not alone for the last 6 years I have been trying to quit again...and finally I have put together more than 2 weeks (that was the longest I could go)….

Seems you gave in easy at 5 days saying you could do it....

You know you have a problem...just like I knew and 95% of the people here knew they had a problem before they were ready to do something about it.

Your here now and I hope you can reach your goal of maintaining a longer sobriety and getting some of your "self" back.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You are never alone, Ian. Congratulations on your 3 days of freedom from alcohol.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello, Ian-and welcome! This is a great place for support and advice and has been a vital part of my recovery. I hope you stick around and post often, and I wish you all the best on your sober journey.