Notices

FYI...took 40 days to sleep anywhere near normal

Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

FYI...took 40 days to sleep anywhere near normal

I thought about 2 weeks into sobriety and not being able to sleep well at all...struggling with insomnia which seemed like it would last for eternity..that I would NEVER sleep well again.

I just want to let people know that are struggling with sleep patterns after stopping alcohol....it took about 40 days for me to sleep in a "normal" pattern...and to wake up feeling refreshed.....

I have been thru lots of insomnia in the last 35 plus days....and the last few nights I have slept what could be considered as really "well" for me.

So if you are new...struggling with sleep...there is a light at the end of the tunnel...just stay stopped and things fall into place.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're sleeping well again Missy.

Its worth noting tho that if anyone's finding lack of sleep debilitating it might be worth considering seeing your Dr,

D
Old 07-30-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First couple of weeks were a little ruff. Now at day 87. I sleep like a baby. Keep coming back.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several weeks before I was sleeping well. I would also suggest seeing your doctor if your sleep was not getting better.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Def seeing doc would be good. I have sweats still and very strange, vivid dreams and sometimes, hallucinations.

But getting up refreshed, I guess I am excited to be sober!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Missy!
I’m just at 30 days now (yay!), and I’ve been having a super hard time falling and staying asleep...when I finally do (hours and hours later) I’m out like a log, crazy dreams, and then, boom...my kid is awake (he’s always been a super early riser....can some of that energy up for me there, kid, would ya? ) I’m impressed with my ability to get to some form of REM anyways, so I’m glad to hear it gets a bit better soon! Sweet dreams!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages. I am also struggling to sleep. Have never been a great sleeper and I think the temptation of drinking is often going to be related to that. I know it is not a restful sleep; I know I will wake up panicky at 3 am... But, I am now awake at 3 am. I will wait until I have 6 weeks sobriety and if does not improve I will follow the advice and try the doctor.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm always glad when I hear about people finding physical improvement so early! Like those who can exercise after a couple days because enough energy has returned.

I have to throw in, tho, the kind of comment I usually make - this stuff takes a lot longer for some of us. There are also ups and downs in all this progress, for me and others. I say this to encourage those who DO have a longer haul to healing, for whatever reason, to stay the course.

Dee shared this article way back when and it was a powerful source of info for me. PAWS is a syndrome so various people connect to it or don't - I found it on point for points in my progress and also about things like nutrition etc that can be good info for all of us.
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Every day sober is a victory and feeling better, sleeping better, all that is a daily blessing. It's also worth seeing our drs, IMO, to discover what could be going on besides the process of getting sober.

Side note - I considered myself in early sobriety til almost 2 yr I think. Truly early days like a couple weeks, 40 days, 90 .... certainly early and important to keep going one day at a time.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder August. It is a difficult combination: the accomplishment that each day of not throwing more poison into our body means, against the many years we did it. It is almost a miracle the body manages to detox in a few days of the worst part of the mess alcohol makes with our neurological system.

At the same time, alcohol is used to hide problems that were there before: anxiety/insomnia, etc. Once you remove the alcohol it shouldn't be a surprise that they remain there. I guess we all have different combinations: my anxiety, my heart beat and my blood pressure are much lower in a very short period of time. My insomnia and my stamina are worse. I have always exercised and I cannot now.

Overall, it is amazing how much better I feel in just over 3 weeks. I guess other improvements will take years and I am very much looking forward to it.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Dee shared this article way back when and it was a powerful source of info for me. PAWS is a syndrome so various people connect to it or don't - I found it on point for points in my progress and also about things like nutrition etc that can be good info for all of us.
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

PAWS was something I learned about 15 years ago in a rehab facility a Dr. presented it..and it made so much sense....

There was one thing in particular...that stuck with me...I felt like I couldn't do anything right unless I was drinking...I was messing up at work MORE sober....

When the Dr. talked about PAWS it made sense and I was willing to stay sober and see everything straighten itself out.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was a clumsy, confused mess for a few weeks right at the beginning. I was really afraid I had damaged my brain! But I was in outpatient, and they talked about PAWS, so I felt comforted knowing it might just take some time before I felt normal again. I was a lucky one who was able to sleep great within a couple of weeks, but other effects lasted longer for me, like the brain fog and emotional ups and downs. Everyone is a little different.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting some logical info as well as accepting that it was all a process was huge for me.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’ve read it can take a year or two for ex-drinkers to develop so-called normal sleep patterns.

I’ve quit for good now (touch wood), well I say for good, it’s been seven months, and I don’t want to drink although we must all watch out for tempting triggers.

The very first time I had a “break” of two weeks, sleep was non-existent! I literally lay in bed awake until 6am, and my face aged years that week. That went after I slept better a few nights.

The irony is alcohol makes sleep far worse. After that initial two week “break”, I slept better during subsequent breaks, so when I finally quit for good, it wasn’t so bad. Sure there were urges to drink, but that also vanishes.

You’ll soon sleep better and after a while better and deeper than any drinker 😀
Old 07-31-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

^^^to Hodd's points - I'm almost 3.5 yr sober and still struggle with sleep. Right now, it sucks.

I certainly fell into the camp of the "two years to heal" thing - truthfully, I consider myself one of the "five year folks" to see recovery. I realize that I'm legions from 2/21/16 yet everrrrrrything about me had so much healing to do that 3 has been the best yet tho it is tough right now, and I'm listening to those who tell me 5-8 have been significant for them.

Wherever we are, I'm glad to end this day, this month sober.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

Exercise helped me a lot. My last binge lasted 7 months. After 5 months of a fifth of whisky, vodka or tequila per night, sometimes more, I was ready to stop. Problem is that the insomnia made it unbearable. I dreaded going to sleep sober, so I made the switch to beer. Boy I hate beer, but I had to have it or else I would be up all night. Tossing and turning, sweating profusely. Never being comfortable for 5 minutes.

It took me a good 6 weeks to taper off of the beer. 24 to 18 to 12 beers per day-mostly in the middle of the night to finally 3 or 4 until I was ready to stop cold turkey. Didn't sleep much the first 2 night, but on day 3, I put on my walking shoes and went for a 4 mile walk.

Next morning I was at the gym at 5 AM. Third day I was on my bike. By day 4, I was sleeping like I hadn't in years. Wife complained that I went from sweating all night to snoring all night.

So be it. I now exercise 7 days a week, ride mega-miles on my bikes, and I am no longer sleep deprived.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elzel View Post
Wife complained that I went from sweating all night to snoring all night.

So be it. .
This really made me LOL....and yes, I know exercise is a big help.....I just don't have time I have full time (day) care responsibilities for my Dad with dementia and I get plenty of exercise there...and I am exhausted.

but it is not the healthy exercise that I need for better sleep.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm over 6 months sober and only now I feel I'm starting to get back into decent sleep patterns.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I'm over 6 months sober and only now I feel I'm starting to get back into decent sleep patterns.
WOW...That is a long freaking time....and Congratulations Waterox on 6 months..that is HUGE.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you. It's actually 7 tomorrow

I should say that my sleep disturbance was "moderate". I never had all nighters where I couldn't sleep. It was more like I was averaging about 5-6 hours a night, with periods of waking up for an hour, and waking up too early, especially. But before I drank I used to sleep a solid 8 hours. Back then, even if I missed so much as a half hour, I'd feel it.....boy are those days over. Now I'm usually happy to have 7 hours in a night and 8 is a rare treat.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow! I only average six hours a night, but I feel OK on it.

Sure, I’d sleep 8 hours after drinking a bottle of wine that evening, but the quality of sleep was poor as was my mental/physical state the next day 😀