Notices

Librium Wipeout

Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Librium Wipeout

Hi all, I’m on day 4 of Librium and I feel totally wiped out, like I have a 50 pound chain around me. Total mental fog too. Got prescribed starting Saturday and have done the recommended taper. Took one last evening and that’s it, but dragging so badly today. What’s the half life of this stuff and when does it wear off?
Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what the half-life of librium is, but it sounds like you're getting off it. So, hopefully the effects will diminish quickly.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Was it prescribed for anxiety or alcohol withdrawal? It's supposed to relieve the awful anxiety of w/d. I don't know how long it takes to wear off.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will be dragging for a day or two then you will feel better. Same thing happens to me. It beats full on withdrawal.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I somehow seemed to have missed librium along the way.

And I sure didn't miss many drugs.

I shuffled around on Tranxene for 9 or 10 days when I was detoxing and then it wore off.

Haven't had to take it ever since.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didnt go that route. Went cold turkey. But I will say long as your not boozing things will clear up
Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Hi all, I’m on day 4 of Librium and I feel totally wiped out, like I have a 50 pound chain around me. Total mental fog too. Got prescribed starting Saturday and have done the recommended taper. Took one last evening and that’s it, but dragging so badly today. What’s the half life of this stuff and when does it wear off?
I’ve never been on Librium so I have no personal experience but when I have a question about medications for myself or children I’ve relied on the pharmacist for their wealth of knowledge in addition to searching the Internet.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It appears Librium has an active metabolite that has a half life up to 200 hours.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know the technical ins and outs but librium does stay in the system longer than like, Ativan, that has more of a 'high' because it is fast acting.

You should be feeling better soon. If you can manage some activity that will help you metabolize the drug faster.

Beats cold turkey my friend. Hang in there.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I suffered through what ever it is called coming off about 40 years plus of drinking. It left my mind in a damaged state.

Brain damage.

I say the same things here it seems because they got me through and I feel like there are folks that get through using them.

Nothing is my idea, everything I say is a regurgitation of assimilated info.

They only way I got through this clean, so far, was suffering. That suffering hurt like hell on earth. I prayed in tears for help sometimes. Still do.

I am at a stage where some folks almost resent me for quitting. Life long friends rationalize that they can't hang around me or risk me slipping. It is a sad result, but one I accept.

The freedom of booze being out of my life forever is like a badge of honor that I will never relinquish.

Sr had taught me well. I look forward to the day I can say I have been 10 years, 20 years, 30 years and beyond clean. Floundering in the depths of active addiction was something I did when I didn't know any better.

Understanding that as an ex active drunk, I will crave for the rest of my life is now part of me.

I relate it now to loving someone and losing them. The pain started out so bad. Now it is a periodic low grade sadness that I deal with.

I recently saw a show where the star spoke of their medical depression. They had been depressed for decades. They spoke of it like a hand that pulls them down. They say it comes and goes. It always comes back, but always goes away.

I related well to this. My addiction has strong ties to my emotions. My analysis is my defense.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Thanks everyone, still tired but not the debilitating fatigue, seems to be working out of my system, that’s a powerful drug, and yes it was prescribed for withdrawing to tamper down anxiety.