Notices

Injuries while blacked out

Old 07-29-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Injuries while blacked out

Hey guys,
I'm back again - not that I really leave but I have been drinking regularly and telling myself it's day 1 only to fail before day 1 is even over. I'm doing day 1 again tonight & so looking forward to day 2 tomorrow and succeeding into day 3. I've experienced two really bad facial injuries the past few months due to being blacked out. One occassion I busted my lip very badly and it looked terrible. The second I gave myself a black eye from blunt force trauma and had very bad facial swelling and bruising - it caused me so much stress and anxiety. Although I can't remember what happened I figured out what happened and basically I was too drunk to walk straight, tripped and faceplanted. The shame is unbearable. I now have a scar on my face I'm hoping I can treat. I'm ashamed of this everyday, especially the second one because it was so much worse. I'm just looking for stories from you guys if you can share of similar things that happened to you - and how you dealt with the shame and guilt. Thanks guys, I appreciate you all - this place and you all are truly amazing.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for your injuries. That being said lets get down to business if you will . get a game plan. Stratigise . first on the agenda to start the process. Stop! Boozing. Get better. Rest. Drink water. Go to doctor if withdrawal kicks in. Take it one day at a time. Keep coming back
Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you will make use of SR as support to help you get sober for good before something worse happens to you from drinking.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only way I can see you getting rid of the shame and guilt is to set a quit date..something to look forward too...an accomplishment to be proud of.

When we have alcohol swimming in our brains..it keeps us in the guilt and shame because it is a depressant....you won't feel better and lose the some of the shame and guilt until your body doesn't have alcohol for a few days and then you start to realize...its not that bad...it could have been worse...and then you start to feel some accomplishments as you get thru each day...raising your self esteem..taking away your depression, anxiety, guilt, anger and shame.

It really is EASIER to keep drinking....much harder to stop.....you have to begin the fight or your going to be stuck with the guilt and shame...that is just how alcohol works
Old 07-29-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just looking for stories from you guys if you can share of similar things that happened to you - and how you dealt with the shame and guilt.

Once I fell flat on my face when I was black out drunk....I laid on the carpet while my roommate rushed over to see if I was OK. It was so embarrassing and my face was badly bruised. She was a new roommate, so I was sure I had ruined our relationship for good. But, I hadn't. I got over the shame by showing her that I wasn't going to continue down that path. I got sober and was a good friend and roommate to her, the shame went away.

With action!!

Take action now, before it gets worse. And it always gets worse!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GR

I had a long list of alcohol related injuries - the last few times I hit my head and I was no doubt a factor in me having several mini strokes.

I'm not for a second suggesting that will happen to you, but I found my injuries did get worse & worse the more years I drank.

The first and greatest step to dealing with the shame guilt and whatever else is to stop drinking and doing everything you can to stay sober. Drinking again will only make you feel worse about yourself.

I'm a guy so I didn't worry too much about scars - I have one cross the bridge of my nose from a fall..there are a lot of creams etc these days that promise to help heal scars etc. I'm sure other members will have some ideas.

D
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Injuries were common to me when drinking, I have fallen, fell off a bike, glass got stuck on my shoe leaving a bar and I sliced my leg open and still have that scar. The worst injuries have been emotional sand mental. Keep yourself safe, value yourself, your health and quitting drinking is the best way. Let the scar be a reminder of why drinking is a bad idea. Once you are healthy and your skin is benefiting from quitting alcohol a doctor can give you the best advice to heal the scar. Stay strong, don’t let the shame drag you back to drinking.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can recall biting it on a bike one day . fact shortly before I got sober 87 day's ago. On a mission for what? Booze. Tell you how bad I was I fell before getting to liquor store. Banged up I still walked the bike to get my booze. Pretty sad. Good thing it wasnt major . some bruises and scrapes. Wow that's crazy. Thats just one of many episodes of getting hurt. Er at least the freshest one. Sobriety is the answer. .....to the majority of your problems. Keep coming back.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

not gonna share horror stories on this one. theres a few thousand of em.
BUT, will share success stories, like none of them horror stories in 14 years, i remember where i was and what i did last night, and woke up in my own bed this morning.
getting and staying sober is how i dealt with the shame and guilt.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My horror story is well documented here. Get help, go to meetings- I was lower than low and have a disfigured bod to remind me all my days- don't give into the shame- get help. Prayers and support offered.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Slashed my wrist the 4th of July 2018. I was not trying to kill myself, I was just full of utter despair. I have a long history of self harm but this one got away from me. Had to be rushed to the hospital and stitched up. Lost all feeling in my thumb and forefinger, but it is slowly returning. Who knows if it will ever be 100%. I really doubt it but that is what I get.
I HATE the scar I have from it. So ashamed and paranoid people will notice it. So far no one has said anything but it is decent sized. The worst is being around family. I am absolutely terrified my mom will see it one day. It would destroy her.
On the upside, I have not self harmed since then.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smashed my face off street one night , knocked myself out. Woke up in hospital, where they sent me for x rays. Found 3 fractures on left jaw , they booked me in for surgery to put a plate in. Was t having it. I wanted a drink, signed myself out and painfully continued to drink. Jaw never set properly, it was actually "flapping around my face as I walked out of hospital " so my face now is out of sync and jaw still two years later giving me pain . Defo injuries get worse as years go on
Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kid50 can you nor get surgery now?

I broke some ribs (again) with a recent fall. A lot of the guilt and shame is drink. I'm on day 13, and although a lot of my anxiety and guilt is probably justified, it's largely gone. A large reason why I keep drinking is it relieves the mental anguish. But it's a ridiculous solution, because when you sober up the next morning alcohol adds even more guilt, shame anxiety. Just accept you won't be feeling or thinking rationally for a while (not too long!).
Old 07-30-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never got an injury but at some point in my drinking blackouts appeared and there were increasing in number dramatically. A blackout means your brain cannot form new memories. How scary is that? It's like self-induced alzheimer. It's like been dead. You were meant to be alive but you don't know so there is no difference.

The many mornings I have woken up to the pretence I knew the film we were watching the night earlier (then had to google it to see the sypnosis and reviews or anything similar) . The many times my kids have said in the past few months: 'but we told you mummy... why you don't listen to us anymore?'

The shame is horrible. But the fact that we were not there, that our brain is pretty much inoperative, is just a horrible reminder of how we are killing ourselves daily.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I fell down outside once and couldn't get up. Problem was it was -30F and there was two feet of snow on the ground. I nearly cashed in my chips that night. I had to call for my 10 year old and 7 year old daughters to help me up so that I wouldn't freeze to death. Huge emotional scars for all 3 of us from that. But of course I wasn't done drinking for several years after that. Why would I be???
Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm with tomsteve on this one, I'm not going to relive/recount my past. It's over and can't be changed. I don't even think physical injuries were the worst of it.

Since I've stopped drinking I haven't done one thing of which I am ashamed or which led to an injury I don't know how I got.

I really hope you've had your last drink.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Blacking out and becoming dangerous, to self and others, is pretty much the end game. Although that end can go on for years.

I know several people that have had TBI's due to falls. It aint pretty. 2 of them truly have brain damage and it forever changes ones life.

You never have to fall again. But if you keep drinking, you will. Shame and guilt serve no purpose but to keep you in the cycle. Take back your life, tell alcohol to pound sand.

The glass can be half full if you decide to quit. You don't have to perceive this as punishment, but as reward. Perception is actually a choice.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

TBI. I wasn't blacked out when it actually happened, but I knocked myself out and was outside in the cold for quite some time. Not cold enough to freeze to death, but cold enough that I could have had hypothermia or worse. Luckily I was on my front steps and my then soon-to-be ex husband found me when he got up to go to work at 3 am. I was probably out there for at least an hour. The only lasting effect from that fall is that I lost my sense of smell, probably forever. It's a daily reminder. I felt tons of shame for a while after that, but kept drinking for a few more years. My alcoholic brain told me I just tripped, could have happened to anyone. That's what I told people. I deal with the shame from that and many other injuries and other things I did by staying sober now. That's really the only way I know. I can put it in the past and know that if I never drink again, there's no chance I'll repeat those things.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I too have a long long list of injuries, and while I think it's important not to forget how bad I am when drunk, I also have to put it behind me and not ruminate and dwell on the past x don't worry it's not the real you it's alcohol
Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My experience is that once I got sober I didn’t suffer any more injuries and I never suffered any more blackouts. Sure I used to wake up with cuts and bruises and busted lips which are par for the course of alcoholic drinking in my experience. They will continue for as long as an alcoholic drinks. There is a solution....