Notices

Joyless, miserable existance

Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joyless, miserable existance

Its been 8 days since my last drink.

Doctor even gave me detox meds.

I'm depressed, don't sleep, don't see much point in anything.

Have another appointment in the morning but I'm still sweating, arms going numb, sneezing...misery

Hopelessness.

Is any Of this normal at this stage?

I just dont know what the point in life is right now. I don't even want a drink.

I just want to feel better
Old 07-28-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it’s normal to feel like this. I had a difficult time in early sobriety too. For me it was a lot of highs and lows, whereas some people sink into kind of a general funk or depression. For some people it will just pass, whereas others might do well to talk to a professional.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You'll feel better, just give it some time. Great job on 8 days.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be the meds also. All meds have side effects and they tend to sneak up on you or you some how overlook them. At least thats how it was for me before. I had a dry cough till my dr pointed out it was a med side effect. Even though I knew that and had read that before I forgot all about it for ever. Same with recently I was sick and throwing up for 4 days and I put it off to food poisoning(I even posted about it on here) till it happened again a few days later and I re read the side effects were nausea, vomiting, stomach cramping, loss of appetite ect. I stopped the med and felt fine two days later. Just something to consider anyway.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All of what you describe is normal for 8 days sober. It will get better, but you've got to give it more time. Whatever you do, don't drink.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Not too long ago doctors used alcohol to numb a person before surgery.

Your body is detoxing; the alcohol is leaving your body now, it will take a little time, then you will start to feel a lot better!!!!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens View Post
Apparently this may be a part of early recovery for some. If it's normal, I don't know. I did not experience that. All I felt on day 8 was relief. But I didn't have to go through detox either. I would talk to my doctor. It may have something to do with meds. Maybe it's something that just passes. Hang in there for a while.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal. You're starting a whole new (and much better) lifestyle. When I was drinking, I was absolutely baffled as to what sober people did and how they avoided being bored. It was inconceivable to me not to get drunk every day after work. Now I couldn't even imagine wanting to waste time drinking. In other words, once you get past the initial rough days and weeks, a whole new world is going to open up for you.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with the others that this is fairly normal and it takes a lot of patience to get through the early days of detox and recovery. Hang in there, and do what you can each day to try to feel better. Gentle exercise may help.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the misery does have a message - this is what alcohol does to you. this is your body fighting to regain health.

get thru this and you never ever have to go thru this again.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was certainly normal for me - and I wasn't on any meds when I quit.
I hope you'll feel a,little better soon SH

D
Old 07-28-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes completely NORMAL...It really took me almost 2 full weeks for my depression and despair to lift...this time.

Your having a bad time...you know it will get better if you stay sober...it can only get better..If you give in to these detox symptoms and drink....its only going to get worse.

Hydrate...for sure...Vitamins if you have them...you should start to be on the upswing this week...I look forward to seeing your mood LIFT.....
Old 07-28-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What you going thru is the norm. Your mind and body are adjusting to not having booze. Ride it out its well worth it I promise. Day 85 for me . Keep coming back
Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

I can identify with your feelings. Each time I lapse I feel awful for at least a week afterwards. It’s after I feel better that I now know that I have to put in the work to try not to cause myself to feel so bad again. It will get better it’s just time. Keep at it you like all of us deserve a life without the darkness that alcohol causes us. You will feel brighter in a little while
Old 07-28-2019, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I was't even going to post because there's nothing anyone can do, but it did help me.

It's 2:30 am here (yay), once again waiting for my doctor appointment.

I fear I may be turning into a vampire. Up all night, sleep all day.

It was SO BAD yesterday if someone had offered to shoot me up with heroin I probably would have said yes just to get some peace.

I've never done hard or illegal drugs, and I know I'm allergic to opiates after my dentist gave me tylenol with codeine, but that's how sick of life I was yesterday.

I can't believe BEER could make someone wish they were dead like this.

Thank you everyone.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I felt that way at first too! I promise you, it gets better! Everyone is different I suppose but the first week of sobriety was brutal for me. Anxiety, night sweats, panic attacks...had to sleep with the lights on for the first time in 40-some years. But after a couple weeks everything in my life was vastly better. Sure, little problems still crop up but that's what life is like for everyone.

Keep at it, ShiftHappens!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its been 8 days since my last drink.

Doctor even gave me detox meds.

I'm depressed, don't sleep, don't see much point in anything.

Have another appointment in the morning but I'm still sweating, arms going numb, sneezing...misery

Hopelessness.

I just dont know what the point in life is right now. I don't even want a drink.

I just want to feel better

I can certainly relate to all of this - though it is a description of a state now long past.

Those early days of sobriety were a struggle in a lot of ways. The feelings of what's the point, the feelings of depression, the feeling that it might never be 'better'.

Well, in my experience.... it did get better. And better and better and better to the point that I can't even really recognize that guy from back then. I remember it, but it's removed from ME at such distance that it can be sometimes hard to even comprehend that it was me.

In those early days, I read the Big Book a lot. Three times start to finish. And many more times the personal stories in the back. I went to a lot of meetings. I never "got the GOD thing" - so I had to grow through my own approach to using AA and understanding that GOD phrase in my own way. I went to a therapist. I did a lot of forcing myself to exercise. I journaled. I kept busy with non-drinking things. I tried new stuff to get out of the house and around others and get out of myself.

One step, one foot, in front of the other, and gradually my life became free and present and amazing.

And - the same will happen for you.

Keep it up.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't believe BEER could make someone wish they were dead like this.
It definitely can - the alcohol in beer is exactly the same as the alcohol in hard liquor. I drank beer exclusively and found myself quite capable of destroying my life with it.

Remember how you feel now too - because drinking and detoxing again might make this time seem like a piece of cake. Hard to imagine I know but subsequent detox cycles can get progressively worse. Kindling is the term some use to describe the phenomenon.

On the bright side you are here, you are sober and using support to stay that way. Every minute you don't drink things are on their way to being better.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is a roller coaster for sure. How are you doing today? Hope the doctor's appointment went well
Old 07-29-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I felt just about the worst I have ever felt in my life for the first couple of weeks I was sober. I had only felt worse than that right before I quit. Totally miserable. I cried and slept and went to meetings and outpatient treatment. That was it. I wondered what the point was several times in those early days. I stuck it out, because I really HAD to - treatment could have tested me at any time, and I was facing legal ramifications from a DUI, and knew I couldn't risk ANY alcohol at that point in time. And I didn't want to die. So I had no choice. Plus I didn't really want to drink, but I did feel really really bad. I'd say after a couple of weeks, maybe 3, I felt some real improvement. Steadily better for a long time. Moments and glimpses of peace and happiness after a month or so. Still getting better, gaining tools and self-knowledge, after over 4 and a half years. Feeling at peace most of the time. Anxiety and depression GONE.

Don't give up. Keep talking to your doctor. Figure out how to get some face-to-face help from other recovering alcoholics. You'll be ok if you give it time.