SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Never give up...this too shall pass (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/440632-never-give-up-too-shall-pass.html)

snitch 07-25-2019 11:46 PM

Never give up...this too shall pass

It's a cliche but its true. It really DOES get better.

I was a drinker for 20 plus years. I drank to excess from the get go. I was a real party girl. I drank to ease my shyness and give me confidence but I would always do shameful things when drunk that wrecked my self confidence. I had no idea I was an alcoholic. I just thought I loved to drink. Which I did. I loved to drink and I lived to drink. I never wanted to quit. But as we all know alcoholism is progressive and it got worse for me. I got pregnant and I couldn't stop drinking. I am so ashamed of this. I did cut back but I couldn't stop completely. I had my baby and I couldn't stop. No human power. It got worse. I went to AA when my daughter was 1. Then again when she was 4 then 5. But I still could not stop. I still wanted to drink more than i wanted to be sober. Alcohol was my master. It was in total control.

15 months ago I hit my rock bottom. 10 day binge mixed with xanax, drinking from when I woke up to when I passed out to when I came to. I was a walking zombie, numbing myself from everything and everyone. I can't believe I survived that binge. I realised I wanted to live and i was going to have to find a power Greater than me as I sure couldn't do this on my own and fight the demon drink with everything I had.

It has been a rocky road for me. I have had many ups and downs. I wanted to drink so badly sometimes I felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. Experiencing feelings for the first time in 25 years and learning to sit in that uncomfortablness without taking a drink to numb myself. I prayed, I went to AA meetings, I joined a support group here, I ate alot of candy, I got a sponsor, started working the steps, hanging round with sober people, staying away from wet places, I watched a lot of programmes and read alot of books about alcoholism. I got honest with my family and friends about my addiction. I needed support.

I feel that my life is really starting to come together now and is so much more manageable. I have finally ditched the sugar that replaced my alcohol as I no longer need it, I have faced my debts and have done something about them, I have started yoga which I LOVE. With the help of the steps I am clearing the wreckage of my past and making amends to people I hurt. I am dealing with my fears and resentments and the trauma I experienced that I believe led me to drink. I am a good mummy, friend, daughter, employee. I am literally a different person to who I was 15 months ago.

Putting down the drink really was just the beginning for me. But I am here to tell anyone who is struggling, please do NOT GIVE UP. I have found out in recovery that my feelings, however uncomfortable they are, will not kill me. Drinking will.

If I can do can do it, you can too.

🙏❤🙏❤

Dee74 07-26-2019 12:20 AM

Thanks so much for sharing that snitch :c014:

D

Daisybelle 07-26-2019 02:09 AM

Thanks Suze, you inspire me with every post you make. xxxxxxx

Tetrax 07-26-2019 02:59 AM

Great post. I love the positivity and candour in the recovery scene, things that are all too often lacking in day to day life.

Atlast9999 07-26-2019 04:23 AM

Great share, Snitch.

Misssy2 07-26-2019 04:53 AM

I'm so happy for you that you "finally" have some time behind you and sound like everyday you are getting stronger.

Me too. :)

noaddedsugar 07-26-2019 11:58 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. I love the title of this thread - such good advice. There is always hope no matter how hopeless things may seem.

desertkid 07-26-2019 12:05 PM

I love this site because everyone is so willing to share things like this. Thank you.

least 07-26-2019 01:21 PM

Thank you for an inspiring post. :hug:

Hopingwishing 07-26-2019 02:45 PM

Beautiful post. Thank you 😊

Citrus 07-26-2019 03:20 PM

Thank you for sharing. ❤ Congrats on 15 months!

Tinkerbeau 07-26-2019 03:55 PM

Amazing post x