Notices

Sunny, hazy boozy days Weekenders 26 - 29 July 2019

Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
saoutchik

"What makes the World go round?" squeaked Piglet.

"Fat bottomed girls" replied Pooh

I
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. I’d really like to say something personal to each of you, but with so much going on it would take some doing!

I made it through month end which, in a corporate setting, is more often than not a somewhat stressful time where one is expected to “earn one’s keep” by passing fees and making budget. Such is life.

I had a bit of a crawing tonight and decided my best line of defence would involve drowning that with a homemade, double ice cream vanilla milkshake!

Look forward to keeping up with you and enjoy your homeland visit, Vman.

Lastly, Dragon, I really trust that you will take up with your company the issue of the long service gold watch. Please keep us updated on the negotiations!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ice cream is a wonderful antidote for cravings, Captain. I certainly ate a lot of it, especially early on.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Yes, ice cream is my defcon 4 response to cravings. It works when nothing else does.

PJ, I think the cello and piano are wonderful additions to your life. How is it to play again after years away?

vman, have fun in the green country and give it my best. I loved the time I spent on fellowship there and dream of going back one day to Galway City--hopefully to meet up with Tetra for a high tea and a walk through the market.

MLD, how are the renovations going?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Renovations are proceeding nicely, but only in the sense that companies are all lined up to do the work, and are being scheduled. All cabinets, countertops, floors, appliances and fixtures have either been ordered or bought and all contracts (save one) are signed. The next thing that happens is electrical work, week after next. Then I'm having a wall partially torn down and some damaged drywall repaired. After that is flooring. Then cabinets and countertops, followed by installation of new sink, faucet, and appliances. If all goes according to plan, should all be done by mid to late September.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

That's not too bad, MLD! Here I was thinking that it was a few months, but turns out September is much closer than we think. Where did the year go?

Glad you're getting on okay, Captain. I ate a ton of ice cream early on too and still do about once a week or so. I figure it's better than getting blitzed, so it's a win for me.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

That’s a good idea MLD, I might print out the Pooh thing and put it up on my wall. I need to be reminded too.

Dpac it’s great that you have strong ideas of what you want in your life and that societal norms don’t dictate who you are. After Dad left when I was little, I think I grew up trying too hard to please people because I was afraid of them leaving me too. Always too much approval seeking behaviour. My partner is constantly on the go, even at home, and seeing him buzzing about the place I feel guilty for relaxing when he’s busy. He’s a self-confessed workaholic and can’t sit still for more than 5 minutes. I’m working on getting over my guilt for needing quiet time. I work for myself now, and often work evenings or weekends, so I like to relax when the opportunity is there, rather than in any regular routine, but after 20 years of an intense working situation (workaholic and alcoholic) I’m still trying to find a balance.

Andy I’m a big Pooh fan too. At 50, I still have my very first teddy bear from my childhood, and his name is..... you guessed it, Pooh, plus I still have my childhood box set of Pooh books ❤️

Happy holidays Vman
Yes Dpac, I’m off on holidays in 2 days, now I’m getting excited

Captain I agree on the icecream front, it’s my best anti-AV weapon

Mesa dog looks very handsome in his new hair style
Old 07-31-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Andy I’m a big Pooh fan too. At 50, I still have my very first teddy bear from my childhood, and his name is..... you guessed it, Pooh, plus I still have my childhood box set of Pooh books ❤️
I went to visit this in Ashdown Forest in Kent - which is where AA Milne lived - a few years ago, which is the original Poohsticks bridge:

it was the middle of summer so there wasn't much flow, but it was rather lovely nonetheless.

I am *not* a fan of the Disney version though
Old 07-31-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Oh wow, that’s fantastic Andy! I recently saw the Christopher Robin movie (I haven’t seen Goodbye Christopher Robin but have heard it’s very sad so maybe I don’t want to). I didn’t mind the movie, although it wasn’t at all how “my” Pooh looks or talks (in my head) so it didn’t seem too “real” to me, it was just someone else’s story about Pooh. Because Pooh is of course real ❤️
Old 07-31-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Thread Theme Music...

~ 'House At Pooh Corner' ~ Loggins & Messina ~ Live ~

Sitting out under the yuge Arts & Crafts Porch I designed on as an outdoor Living Space, and watching Thunderstorms roll by in the distance with a pleasant breeze. The dapper MesaDog is out here lovin' the new 'Do and how cool it keeps him.

Ahi Tuna Sashimi for Dinner as the Starter to Mussels with Naan Bread. Vacuumed the Vehicles, and washed Floor Mats. I now enjoy knockin' off the Chores because it fosters Serenity.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

When I get back from vacation, (and if I remember), I will take that old employee manual to HR and ask for my watch Cap'n. I expect to be laughed at but no harm in asking.

I can hear your storms coming my way MesaMan.

*snicker* Saou....

I'm finding that I can deal better with feeling productive if I break things down into small steps. Today I started converting the old bathroom vanity into work benches - it was a 63 inch vanity that broke down into one large and two smaller cabinets. I built a sturdy base for two smaller cabinets and put them on wheels. Next is to do the same to the large center cabinet. I didn't realize until today, but they look quite fitting in the garage as the doors and handles are a gun metal grey.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.

Got in the door to my mom's house last night and the first thing she says "you put on alot of weight Vinny" ah well it's confirmed it's diet time. (no ice-cream so )

Woke up on french time so up early about 04h30. I was nearly cold in bed last night. It's been a while since I could have said that in the south of france. It is like 11°c right now. Very welcome freshness though.

Indeed its been a long time since we heard from Tetra. I hope she will pop in soon too.

Later weekenders
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on facing down those cravings CaptainHaddock. Something that was a HUGE help to me was to avoid the cravings altogether. To that end I would get up an hour early and go for a walk. (or a walk and a jog) That meant that I knew I would be tired in the evening and woukd have no difficulty in going to bed at a reasonable time and that I would fall asleep too. It would also improve my mood and outlook, that is not just me saying that, I believe there is some actual science behind it involving dopamine release and things.

I would echo other Weekenders admiration of your knowing what it is you want to do Dpac. My youngest daughter is 26 and to her credit is a very hard worker but tends not to stick with anything although she has stuck with college. I'm glad you are doing well.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Mesa thankyou.
That was so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes ❤️
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

Dpac your full of postitivity which is great to read. So pleased you are doing well.

Vman operation carrot has been aborted- searching for another form of attack on the sugar beast. Keep you posted.

Captain glad your defence crushed the craving. Keep on winning.

Willow I am pleased your feeling excited about your holiday now. I know your were worried about temptation. Your gonna be fine.

I don't really remember pooh from my childhood. I don't remember much if I'm honest. Some things are best forgotten.

My productivity is not good. I have chronic fatigue syndrome. Some days are better than others but if I do too much I can't do anything the next day. I love long walks but I pay the price, having to rest for days afterwards. Doctors advise pacing activity and rest. It is very frustrating to feel tired all the time.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, sounds like you have a lot to contend with. I imagine you have to pace yourself so as not to overdo things.

MesaMan I loved that song too.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I forgot to say that I love the fact that Mesa dog has had his fur cut. So many people don't cut certain dogs as it's not correct for the breed then drag them around the park in the midday sun!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Kaily that sounds tough. Are there activities you enjoy doing that don’t sap your energy so much? Hopefully you can still find some enjoyable things to down without getting worn out.

As for the carrot addiction, I’m liking the alternative of frozen grapes and also frozen strawberries
Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-2019-a.html (Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019)