Notices

Sunny, hazy boozy days Weekenders 26 - 29 July 2019

Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Plenny, I understand how you’re feeling.

I have wished I could change some of my past, but realise I can’t and to make amends to myself, I promised it would never have to be like it again.

It was the past, staying in the past.

I actually like myself better now.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Morning, we are having some much needed rain. And still it drums down on next-doors bbq. One day I will be brave enough to say something but when you have two yappy dogs you have to tread carefully!

Plenny sobriety does bring up lots of feelings that haven't been dealt with and memories that we don't want to remember. Lots of raw emotions that need healing, that takes time. They will pass. Stay strong.

STDragon hope that list doesn't get too long.

Vman rest and recuperate.

Sao what a night owl you are, out all night. Getting home just as Mags was getting up I suspect.

Forwards glad things are going well. Not sure what your Nurse mean't about alcohol not being a problem for you now? Wouldn't it be great if it just went away.

Captain I'm glad your glad to be back. So pleased.

Good to see you Midnight, kk1k5x and Citrus.

I feel so much better today than I did yesterday - my moods change like the flick of a switch.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I am officially on vacation yay. Tomorrow I start my list of things to get done. I wonder how much Mrs Dragon expects to add to my list?
On vacations again Dragon?
Weren't you on vacations a few weeks ago fixing a bathtub or something?
Just kidding, have a great time Mr Sober Bus driver!

Another saturday without any hangover, I'm still amazed.
Saturdays were a day generally between life and death after abusing my body over any decent limit every time on friday night.
Boy I love my new life! ☼

Have a good day Weekenders
Old 07-27-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and dpac. The Kombucha stays
I was having an AV attack this afternoon out of the blue as I walked past the liquor store (right next to my local supermarket) so I plurged and bought 2 bottles of kombucha as a treat tonight
I drank one and have the other for tomorrow afternoon

I’m glad the job is working out MB

Plenny memories can be tough. Good to see you here.

Saturday night here and I’m off to bed early again. Waking up tomorrow sober is so worth it.
Have a good weekend everyone
Old 07-27-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I just had the worst night sleep that I've had in a long time but I still feel more rested than when I used to while drinking. Maybe it will lead to a nice nap this afternoon. It's a beautiful sober day and I look forward to what I can get done.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Yea, CK, that was last years vacation I was burning off. Now I'm working on this years. 35 years with the same company, the vacation time adds up!

Plenny, I have plenty of regrets too, but I'm also so very proud of the person I am now. Helps to balance it out a little, and living the sober life is the only way I'm going to make up for it.

Speaking of 35 years, We found boxes of old employee manuals yesterday, printed the year I started. It says that at 25 years of service the employee gets an engraved gold watch. I'm gonna ask where mine is!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday morning never ever ever gets old. Up at 5AM, got some chores to do and no construction dudes in my house so I can stay in jammies till noon if I want.

There's a gentle rain falling and it's cooler. The high 80sF is pushing it for us. I hope the forest fires don't start up. Ugh. At least we have a good seal on windows this year with these new windows. The smoke last couple years was stressful. It's a primal thing, that fear of fire.

Prayers for the still suffering alcoholics and drug users. There is away out. Stick around, read, join up and post.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

If it says it in the manual it must be right.

Been out walking today - 3 hours walking!

I met these fine beasts on my travels. They wander free on the grassland in the forest. Once again my dog wanted to eat them but he was pretty half hearted about it. Think he knew it was a battle he wouldn't win.

In this pic the cow with a strange look on his face was keeping an eye on the dog.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would echo what CanadianKoala and biminiblue say about Saturday mornings. I have no doubt that people like us get a much greater kick out of a hangover free Saturday than the rest of the population who quite naturally take it for granted.

I expect we have all got regrets about what we did or didn't do or say during our lost years Plenny but quitting drinking when you're addicted to alcohol is hard but being able to quit it has given by self esteem a lift from being at rock bottom and that sense of achieving something does mitigate the regrets to some extent or at least some of the time anyway.

This is beautiful.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Oh, man, Sao. That is the most exquisite thing. Thank you for that video.

words. mmmm.

firesmoke.

Kaily, I love those cow-things. Your dog is smart.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Back to my first sober weekend.

Up early,put a load of washing on, got the dog out. Cooked breakfast,got my hair done and did a bit of shopping. Now I'm knitting and watching TV. My go to drink is always a nice chilled can of diet coke. Absolute fav drink.

Hope everyone has a nice evening
Old 07-27-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thank goodness for this thread. It's 100 degrees here this weekend and hot lethargic days are a particular sore spot for me. While the compulsion to drink isn't overwhelming (as it has been) I feel it lurking in the background.

"hey it's a hot lazy day. Everyone's having fun but you. You've made it this far, why not just have a nice cold one?"

Fortunately I'm stocked up on fizzy water like there's no tomorrow. Got the AC blasting...who knows...there's always ice cream!

Happy weekend everyone.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Sao, Kate Tempest is playing in Seattle on September 29. I think I'm buying two tickets.

WaterOx, hello.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I haven't had the need to stay up late working for a while now. I thought tonight might be one of those occasions, but I actually just want to sleep.

I remember that I used to sometimes refer to my Friday and Saturday evenings-nights-hungover mornings as "my second 9 to 5", because it usually started an hour before the booze shop closed and then it was a binge until the early hours of the morning, doing nothing but drinking, going to the bathroom and listening to music. Epic pointless.

Why I'm gonna go to sleep instead of working is something I just realised I am currently worried about "not finishing the work TWO DAYS AHEAD of schedule" haha.

Off to bed. Sobriety is awesome.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday morning and I’m off to a yoga class. Love not being hungover on Sunday mornings

Kaily those are pretty impressive beasts, your little dog is wise not to take them on

Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Power pop morning

Marshall Crenshaw song but I prefer the Robert Gordon version

D
Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Its 4.15am, had lots of horrible nightmares so having my morning tea early.

I still wake with guilt, not now about how much I drank the night before but about how much ice cream/cake I ate. Addictive eating is new to me, worrying and obviously unhealthy. Plus I don't feel truly sober as I have replaced one addiction with another. Not a healthy path but it is getting a grip on me.

WaterOx I don't envy you that heat, we had ridiculous temperatures in England this week. No AC in house or car - I felt like a roast in a bag chicken!

Long day ahead looming...
Old 07-28-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, it's great that you will get to see Kate Tempest bim. It's unusual and encouraging that a spoken word artist can cross over like that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sugary foods Kaily. These things tend to come and go in recovery.

Surviving your first weekend sober will be significant Zombie, you're two thirds of the way there so well done.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sao, I don't think there are any decent seats left (small venue,) and it's a bit expensive - plus I don't know who to take, she's kind of a specific niche and hard to describe! I probably won't go. I'm going to go to the box office and talk to them in person. It's an excuse to go downtown with my new almost free geezer bus pass.

Kaily, food is my battle these days but it is way easier than it used to be. If I don't start on the treat foods, and don't have them in the house, I'm fine. I ate a lot of sugary stuff for about six months, then started tapering back. I think alcoholics have that whole dopamine-error thing going on. I would wake up with sugar hangovers in early sobriety.

Sugar was my gateway drug, though. I stole money from my parents' coin banks and purse as a six year old to go buy it. I would hide in the closet and eat large bags of candy. Drink Coke with tons of cherry syrup at the drug store soda fountain every day...I was a latchkey lonely kid, and it was comforting but it was also hitting those pleasure receptors. I think I screwed them up very early by doing that.

A lot to straighten out there!

You'll figure it out.

Ice cream > Wine.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Oh, Dee - love that "Someday, Some way," video. That guitar lick is catchy, eh?

Funny how I can hear a 38 year old song and still remember the words.

Of course there aren't a lot of complicated words like that Kate Tempest thing.