Notices

Sunny, hazy boozy days Weekenders 26 - 29 July 2019

Old 07-25-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, Tesco have Cawston Press. Doesn’t look sugar free though. 4 tins for £3.50!
Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Willow ~

IF a given Kombucha brand has any Alcohol [many don't], it is very low content. Here in The Land Of The Earth Muffins - lotsa Natural Food types around us in select pockets - Kombucha is clearly labeled in this regard. By convention, if not by Law. FWIW.

To see some really wild Soda Pop Flavors out in this Big Ole World, search for <sodapopstop.com>. It's a Store in East El Lay we lived near in College. Fabulous Deli, and they've carved out a kewl niche in stocking Soda flavors unheard of by us Mere Mortals.

Mesa Sushi Rolls for Brunch today. Shrimp. Jasmine Rice. Scallions. Avocado. Fresh Strawberry bits. Rice Vinegar. Sour Cream. Wasabi. Soy. Picked Ginger on the side. Diet Ginger Beer. I rolled 2 real Bombers because we were famished! Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies outside later when it cools off from the breeze off the Mountains around Sunset...
Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hmmm, rhubarb eh? I wonder if we have have it at the local Brit shop....

Hi Lunar another one of your cuddly pets in that photo?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

It’s been a while and I’m sad to say sobriety and I had parted ways, if only for a short while. Getting back on track now, revising the plan and reinforcing the behaviors that keep me wanting to be and stay permanently sober, which I came to neglect, perhaps because it seemed to become plain sailing. This opposed to long stretches of sobriety interspersed with shorts stints of madness. We all know there’s no guarantee of making it back next time. Strangely, I do take some positives and encouragement from this.

At the moment here in the Southern Hemisphere it’s more about warm, comforting drinks, at least in the evenings. I have to ask though, whether anyone except the Aussies and us is familiar with Bundaberg gingerbeer or their blood orange drink?

Looking forward to keep up with all of you once more!
Old 07-25-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My summer go to drink is water, ice cold filtered water. It can’t get anymore healthier. I actually love it too. I’m still struggling with stomach issues, I’m hoping it goes away soon by just avoiding alcohol. This started about two years ago, it’s been on and off. I refuse to take acid reflux pills unless it’s really bad.

I have a BUSY schedule next week and it looks like my summer freedom is over. But I’m ready, I need a routine, to be busy and earning a good salary. My confidence and accountability is very important in my profession so no alcohol. Alcohol gives me a short fake sense of confidence, then robs me of any for weeks, years. It’s hard to be confident in myself with so much shame and embarrassment weighing me down. I’m going to not miss a single day of work for at least the first 5 months. Also, I vow to never go into work with a hangover or call in because of drinking. It’s living hell going into my work hungover, I must be “on” at all times. I can’t hide behind a desk. I feel confident this is my year for success.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Feeling absolutely wrecked this week. Especially today, mainly because of inconsiderate neighbours blasting music until 4am :-( so this weekend would be nice to get some rest and chill a bit.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I really like your swan photo Kaily. And your Super Bunny, Mesa Man!

I like lime and soda and a kind of reapberry cordial that you get in Europe in particular diluted with fizzy water. I am on holiday in Austria at the moment and the restaurants here seem to have a much greater supply of fruit cordials and herbal lemonades than you find in U.K. restaurants.

I always thought of my acohol drink of choice (sparkling white wine, preferably champagne) as the perfect summer drink. Which it might be for some, but never, ever for me. Because of course I never drank only one glass so I ended up always feeling completely dehydrated and unrefreshed. Yet still I kept on drinking.

But that was then and this is now. Hooray!.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
It's friday at last yay.
Glad you came back CH.
Sao thanks for asking I'm doing good.
Me likes me the fizzy drinks too. Sugar is a prob. Otherwise bottled water.
Time to attack the day
Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Captain I really missed you. So pleased you are back.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Zombie, Rose! There were people partying out on the street until the early hours near me too - I called Hackney council's out of hours hotline about it but they won't do anything about it.

Mags I took a look at Cawston's website. Their drinks only contain the sugar from whatever fruit they use, no added sugar which is good news. £3.50 for four is tolerable (it does taste good)

Great to see you CaptainHaddock, it seems like you are really close to making things permanent, just a few tweaks to the plan should do it. Good luck.

I am at work already as I intend to finish early today.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Captain, good to see you. I’ve seen blood orange juice in the stores. I’ve not tried it but have eaten blood oranges.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Stressed/ Triggered/ Rant

Apologises in advance for this negative post.

Today I have to take my 84 year old Dad with a serious heart condition on two buses and various tube trains on London Underground to have his another check up at hospital. He refuses to acknowledge he is ill and refuses to use hospital transport.

Yesterday we had to go to a different hospital, he is dismissive of me going with him saying it is not necessary. I feel totally unappreciated despite me trying so hard to help.

He has a device fitted to his heart as he could have a cardiac arrest at any time. If this happened the device would administer a shock. I am terrified he will collapse on the journey today . He has to keep stopping to catch his breathe.

It is all triggering me as I have no support. I am feeling very uncomfortable with everything.

I know I am in a danger zone.

Written in haste as just about to go.

Phew!
Old 07-26-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, you’ve a lot to deal with and your dad not seeming to want you on the journey isn’t helping you. You’re doing the best that you can for him, but you know how stubborn us humans can be, especially If we feel our independence is going from us.

Has he been given instructions what happens if he has a cardiac arrest at any time. The device will help but what about what he does then. He should have something from the hospital which may put your mind at rest too.

Take care and remember to breathe.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that your dad is causing this anxiety Kaily.

Us males can be proud creatures - my take is your dad doesn't want to admit the reality of his health - he's scared and doing things the hard way makes it easier for him to reconcile the comforting thought he still has some control over things.

None of that helps you - I'm sorry that you're caught between you anxiety and fear and his fear and stubbornness.

Please - keep reaching out - this is not a drinking moment - this is a dealing with irritating insufferable selfish humans moment - but you're not alone

D
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sao and Mesa thanks for clarifying. Phew, gingery kombucha is staying on my favourite drinks list

So nice to see you again Captain
And I love Bundaberg ginger beer Bundy is just down the road from me (several hundred or even 1000kms or so is just down the road in Aus)

Kaily sending you lots of support and a big hug

I just ate a heap of homemade pastries. Yum. But I feel like a bloated pufferfish now
Old 07-26-2019, 03:46 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey willow

any commercially produced kombucha available in supermarkets has to be legally classed as soft drink in Qld, so I think it's likely you're safe - but always read the bottle if you have doubts.

I'm not a kombucha fan but the ALDI variety, say, is as safe for us as Bundaberg ginger beer

D
Old 07-26-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Beautiful Friday morning here. I'm looking forward to a sober, productive weekend. I feel like I have 10 projects in some state of completion. Good chance to put some to bed! I hope.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi Cap'n glad to see you!

Support and Hugs Kaily, hope you can find some time to decompress.

My dad was in hospital a few years back due to a cardiac event. He had already collapsed a few times previously & didn't seek help. He absolutely refused to believe it was his heart, even when the test came back positive. He was immediately whisked away and given a stent. Against his doctors wishes, he began running again during his recovery.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I got myself a new laptop. Pluses are bigger screen, bigger keyboard and spell check! ( my tablet is to under-powered for it). Minus is no touchscreen. I keep reaching out and touching the screen and going 'oh yea...'
Old 07-26-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Dragon. New toys. I gave up on laptops. I went through three of them in five years and now I'm back to a desktop which has already outlasted the three of them together.

Kaily, Dee's post is so spot on. Fear and selfishness on your dad's part. The fear of, "How is death going to get me?" is pretty big at age 84, I would think. Heck I started worrying about that in my forties! It's exhausting.

Capt. Haddock, good that you came back. I have to keep it in my mind every day just how quickly it can all go sideways if I pick up a drink.

On that note: Friday. Today is THE day that the construction crew is supposed to be done. This is IT (for the seventh Friday.) I still am waiting on a part for a window that was missing at install...not holding my breath, I already found the dealers in my area and will likely buy it and install it myself as soon as the builders actually LEAVE.

Drinking hasn't crossed my mind as a way to cope with this, but food has been a problem a few different times during this project. Addict brain says, "Put something in mouth for that discomfort."

No.

If hunger isn't the problem food isn't the solution, bim.