Notices

Still got an ear infection. Mother won’t talk to me

Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Be careful sweeti. Do you have anyone that you are in contact with that can check on you? What about your aunt?
I’m ringing my aunt later today. She can ring me and only lives an hour away
Old 08-16-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick1 View Post
I’m going off the Valium. Just to take it easy.
what about recovery? what ya gonna DO for that?
if nothing changes then nothing changes.

if nothing changes everything gets worse.
proven here, dont ya think?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Can I ask where you are getting all the Valium sweeti? Especially “too much” of it as you state? It’s basically alcohol in pill form to an alcoholic, only stronger. If it’s your after hours doc prescribing it you need a different doctor, plain and simple.

You know all of this of course, you have been told countless times by us and likely your doctor. You’ve also had many serious health issues as a direct result of drinking alcohol. Your doctors have told you point blank that you will likely die if your don’t stop drinking. So while your your latest fall and concussion is alarming, it’s not a surprise.

What do you think it might take for you to make the choice to really quit drinking for good? You said that after this latest episode, but if you are honest with yourself you’ve said the same thing many times after other episodes too.

Bottom line we want to help, but you aren’t giving us many options to do so.
I get the Valium on a private script from my psychiatrist so I pay for it.
You guys are being so amazing and supportive I don’t think there’s much more you can do
Old 08-16-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sweetichick1 View Post
I get the Valium on a private script from my psychiatrist so I pay for it.
Who pays for it is not really relevant. Is your psychiatrist aware of how much you drink? If not I would tell him/her. And if they are still prescribing “too much” Valium even with the knowledge of your drinking, you need to find a different one as that is irresponsible on their part.

Even though you have quit drinking you have basically just kept feeding your same addiction Valium instead. It’s important that you know that and also any doctor you see now. Because you will need to withdraw from the Valium as well likely and that should happen with medical supervision - especially with your usage history.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You guys are being so amazing and supportive I don’t think there’s much more you can do
You're right about that. There's nothing more we can do. However, there is a lot more you can do. You're just not doing it.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Addiction, Lies and Relationships
Floyd P. Garrett, M.D.

Addiction means always having to say you are sorry and finally, when being sorry is no longer good enough for others who have been repeatedly hurt by the addiction, addiction often means being sorry all alone.

Addiction is often said to be a disease of denial but it is also a disease of regret. When the addictive process has lasted long enough and penetrated deeply enough into the life and mind of the addict, the empty space left by the losses caused by progressive, destructive addiction is filled up with regrets, if-onlys and could-have-beens. In early addiction the addict tends to live in the future; in middle and late addiction he begins to dwell more and more in the past. And it is usually an unhappy, bitterly regretted past.

----------------

First the addict lies to himself about his addiction, then he begins to lie to others. Lying, evasion, deception, manipulation, spinning and other techniques for avoiding or distorting the truth are necessary parts of the addictive process. They precede the main body of the addiction like military sappers and shock troops, mapping and clearing the way for its advance and protecting it from hostile counterattacks.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You're right about that. There's nothing more we can do. However, there is a lot more you can do. You're just not doing it.
^^^ This. So much this. ^^^
Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Unbelievable that your Dr is prescribing Valium to an alcoholic.

People with alcohol dependency should never be given valium for longer than about 3 days, just enough to allow them to manage acute withdrawals.

I was told under no uncertain terms by a ER Psychiatrist that he would give me just enough to get me through the first few days (after I had to beg for it) and then he told me he would instruct my GP to never prescribe me valium again, under any circumstances.

You are replacing alcohol with dry alcohol, adding one addiction to another. If you aren't drinking alcohol but taking valium, you are still suppressing your CNS and mimicking the effects of alcohol.

You need to learn to live without relying on substances to change the way you feel. You need to stand up to the raw emotions and overcome them, and stop hiding behind drugs.

What I don't understand is how you can continuously get passed the acute withdrawal stage, yet even when the horrors of drinking are still fresh and raw in your memory, you decide to pick up again. It's absurd. It's not like you even get to 30 or 60 days and get complacent or forget the horrors of drinking and relapse. It's like as soon as the bad feelings of drinking goes away you are straight back on it. Can't you remind yourself how bad drinking is for you before you decide to pick up....you are basically an active drinker who comes on here when they are hungover and moans about it, and then once the hungover disperses is straight back to drinking.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
You are basically an active drinker who comes on here when they are hungover and moans about it, and then once the hungover disperses is straight back to drinking.
This is my main concern for you Sweetie. So far over the past year the impression I get is that when you have no Valium and alcohol left and can’t afford to get it so your kind of stuck not being able to feed the addiction you come here for support to get you through till your next drink or prescription. As soon as you are able to feed your addiction you disappear only to return when the substances run out.

I absolutely get the value of reaching out to others who understand how addiction feels, but I think you might be misunderstanding what it means to support each other in recovery. I feel as though until you actually decide to give sobriety a real go, at this point I am enabling you by responding. It feels like your asking people here to support you in active addiction. I know for me at least I want to support those in active recovery and not enable active addiction which is what I see going on here.

Something has to change Sweetie, you need to change the record because if you don’t this merry go round is going to get faster and faster until it has so much momentum that you can’t get off. We keep stopping the ride and holding onto it for you begging you to take a step off but you just don’t take the opportunity and are clinging onto that ride with all you have.

Please get off the ride Sweeti and get your feet in solid ground x
Old 08-17-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post

Please get off the ride Sweeti and get your feet in solid ground x
Lots of good advice here sweeti; your only hope is in patient. You need to do that----please do that - whatever it takes.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

SC
I have no illusion that you will stop drinking or using Valium long term. I'm not even suggesting it at this point.

A concussion is not just a bad bump on the head. Its a neurological event. Drinking or using drugs/Valium, and lots of them, after having received a concussion is very dangerous.

At least for a few days try to table the substances...while your poor brain tries to heal....if you indeed have a concussion.

A concussion is a brain injury SC. Not just an ouwie.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Sweetie, you were ringing your aunt, yesterday. Did she offer any help towards detoxing you. The people above speak truth about Valium and alcohol, they’re (almost) one and the same, as far as the brain receptors are concerned.

Sweetie, I beleive you wouldn’t be posting here, unless there was a small voice inside of you, that wanted a better life for you than the drinking pit. You’re suffering mentally and physically, you don’t deserve this, but you’re doing it to yourself, by not seeking help.

Please listen to that small still voice inside you, the one that wants to stop drinking, and take action towards a better future. I found the first step is putting down the drink.

I was content in sobriety for two and a half years (I know I sound like a broken recording) then I foolishly listened to my AV after some tragic circumstances, and drank. It took me six months or more to dig out of that hole.

Now I’m on Day 4. I already feel better, drinking just sedated me, I lost my spirit, it’s hard to explain, but alcohol, and drugs, are depressants. You can stop too, if you really want to, Sweetie. I so hope you do.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Just caught up on your last few days, pretty scary stuff Sweeti. It’s great that you can access your Super, call some rehabs and get in now. You can work with them on a plan for AA when you get out.

Today seems like a great day to take some positive steps in your recovery.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I hope you choose to change the pattern, do the work, and finally heal yourself of this addiction sweeti. I truly do.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Oh, Sweeti. I don't have any more advice except that you to do anything possible to stop drinking--inpatient seems the only way to go at this point. A concussion, possible seizures, too much valium, the reality that you could die alone with no one to help you--it makes me so sad to see this. I pray for you everyday, Sweeti.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Start of. Day 5.. nothing interesting about yesterday except I cut back the Valium.. Still pretty sore all over from those falls Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Sweetie, you were ringing your aunt, yesterday. Did she offer any help towards detoxing you. The people above speak truth about Valium and alcohol, they’re (almost) one and the same, as far as the brain receptors are concerned.

Sweetie, I beleive you wouldn’t be posting here, unless there was a small voice inside of you, that wanted a better life for you than the drinking pit. You’re suffering mentally and physically, you don’t deserve this, but you’re doing it to yourself, by not seeking help.

Please listen to that small still voice inside you, the one that wants to stop drinking, and take action towards a better future. I found the first step is putting down the drink.

I was content in sobriety for two and a half years (I know I sound like a broken recording) then I foolishly listened to my AV after some tragic circumstances, and drank. It took me six months or more to dig out of that hole.

Now I’m on Day 4. I already feel better, drinking just sedated me, I lost my spirit, it’s hard to explain, but alcohol, and drugs, are depressants. You can stop too, if you really want to, Sweetie. I so hope you do.
I’m on day 5. So pretty much fully detoxed. I don’t think I will need Valium for much longer. My aunt is nearly eighty and severely worried about my mother. Noone in my family knows about the falls.. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Sweeti, well done on Day 5! I’m sorry to hear of your mum’s illness, and obviously, your aunt’s concern. I didn’t realise your aunt’s age. How are you feeling now, any dizziness or repercussions after your falls?
Old 08-17-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congrats on 5 days! What is your plan moving forward?
Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5. That's great.

But what is your plan.? For long term sobriety? You've had day 5 loads after some dramatic or traumatic event or no money to buy booze.but once payday comes you feel better you forget the last drunk etc etc etc you drink again.

What will you do differently now ? Or do you just like the drama and attention on here and really have no intention of long term sobriety? Be honest with yourself if not with us.