Notices

Hello.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello.

Well, I drank buckets of ale, 4am aftershocks etc. as a binge drinker for many years. I quit for 5 years in my thirties. Started again, got into coke also. Decided to give all that up and drink quietly at home. Over the years that has gone from 9 bottles (over 2 nights) of ale, a week, to 6 or 8 a night. Enough is enough. I cannot walk my dog now, without buying some. I have so many excuses!...

I'm 45 now and I'd like to quit and get into the stuff I do like and enjoy. Well, thanks for listening?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you join us Yorkshabloke

How'd you stay quit for 5 years?

D
Old 07-24-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

i learned here that each relapse, even the ones w a long break, make recovery more and more difficult.

Kindling.

Eventually the crazy doesn't go away.

I had horrid agoraphobia for many months. I made it through med free.

I needed booze to feel normal. Getting used to normal without booze has taken 4 years and counting. The whole time I suffered off and on.

This place gave me hope and info. It saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad to have you join us Yorkshabloke

How'd you stay quit for 5 years?

D
Howdy Dee,

I got a treadmill and outran it, I guess. I couldn't do that now. Prefer walking? It may do me good to look back at the motivations, though.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah it would I think.

Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 07-24-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
i learned here that each relapse, even the ones w a long break, make recovery more and more difficult.

Kindling.

Eventually the crazy doesn't go away.

I had horrid agoraphobia for many months. I made it through med free.

I needed booze to feel normal. Getting used to normal without booze has taken 4 years and counting. The whole time I suffered off and on.

This place gave me hope and info. It saved my life.

Thanks.
You've done really well. There are many things we love with alcohol, but there are so many more that we ejnoy without it. Hope you remember me. I'm the guy that cannot think straight, other than a fix. I love so many things, love walking my dog in the country, but the slightest excuse and I drink and I cannot be bothered. I put the bins out tonight? A clean slate (to be filled with new cans/bottles). I'll go walking next week!

Never worth it. But at the time, you just don't care.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
yeah it would I think.

Hope to see you around some more

D
You too Dee, and thanks for the welcome
Old 07-24-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family YB! Glad to have you with us.

I was sober for 20 yrs until I drank again and got sucked into the black hole of alcoholism again. I quit again, over 9 yrs ago and don't ever want to drink again!

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.

I think walking probably saved me, too, and I highly recommend it. But, for me, it took some serious soul-searching, too. It's always a good idea to have a plan for what you can do when you don't feel like walking the dog and would rather drink.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get on board the sober train . plenty of room for ya. Keep coming back
Old 07-25-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The sober life is a wonderful life. For me continued happy sobriety was about change; literally becoming almost a new person with the amount of personal growth that I’ve had over the year’s in recovery. It may be worth checking out some recovery programs and committing to working these as these should facilitate that personal growth. It is this personal growth and change which is one of the massively rewarding parts of recovery and also the thing that helps one be more contented and at peace with their place in the world/universe. Thus the concept of altering one’s state of mind with alcohol/drugs becomes like an alien concept with zero desire to do so whatsoever even when surrounded by it.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Yorkshabloke,

Like you I love walking my dogs in the countryside but slowly alcohol took that away. My walks got shorter and shorter to very often non existent in favour of drinking, or hangovers that rendered me useless.

Last year after many attempts I managed to stop ~ obviously still early days.
Similar to the way you outran your drinking, I out walked mine. I would go out early and walk all day long in remote places. Just me and my dogs. I would get home exhausted, eat and sleep. Next day the same. This went on for weeks, maybe months.

It was never a miracle cure, I still obsessed about drinking but the exhaustion and challenge helped me overcome it.

I'm not cured, never will be but I am sober. I stay vigilant all the time as the AV never sleeps.

Keep posting and get walking!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am glad you are here. One thing I would mention is possibly the best way to use the support here (in addition to just reading and getting inspiration) is to come here and post BEFORE you go buy alcohol or drink it if you’ve bought it. Your mind will try to talk you out of posting about it but don’t listen; just post instead and listen to the wise words you’ll hear in response. Also know depending on where you are and time zone The responses may not come all at once but there’s also the chat function I’ve never quite sorted out but many benefit from.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

how goes it Yorkshabloke?

D