Notices

Vacation and every adult with me has a drink in hand

Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can understand you feeling left out, but for me the worst thing would be boredom. I'd go nuts being stuck in the house all day with people doing nothing but drinking - ugh, how dull that seems now...

I hope the rain stops so you can get outside and do something fun.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi less, I certainly empathize with you and would feel the same way. I hope the rain lets up and you are able to enjoy your vacation. Games, puzzles, and crappy cable TV, sound like a visit to my parents house, not a vacation with friends. Glad you posted. I'll try to send a little sunshine your way.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I can understand you feeling left out, but for me the worst thing would be boredom. I'd go nuts being stuck in the house all day with people doing nothing but drinking - ugh, how dull that seems now...

I hope the rain stops so you can get outside and do something fun.
I'd go nuts being stuck in a house all day, let alone multiples of days, of people, drinking or not! So that's just me. I always get my own lodgings, weirdo that I am.

Social drinkers almost irk me more. Like, what is that one drink you are nursing? Haha. Well they used to. Drunks? I get that
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I share the feeling.
Yesterday i was hanging around with my friends outside. And at a point i had to leave, cause they all were drinking.

I blew the booze card, and felt awful. last year i loved hanging around with them. Now i feel alone.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Imo, considering everything else you've stated, if you felt excluded and didn't have fun, it's just because these people are not your bros.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If I am in my best mind when things like this happen (and admittedly I’ve been around a lot of drinking while sober but never in the physically trapped situation), which I regularly am not, I try to call up the image of being one of the drinkers. There were so many years there was this whisper quiet and occasionally loud voice in the back of my mind wishing that I were one of those mythical creatures, a present sober non-drinker. It’s as if in my drinking days i regularly had the same type of envy for the non-drinkers as I will still get flashes of now for the drinkers. It’s kind of like playing the tape forward I guess. There were just so many years that sobriety seemed and felt far out of reach for me, an exalted state I would never attain. Now I’m in this exclusive club and can at least in part live up to that voice in the back of my head from so long ago. I’m that person I would look around at in the restaurant and do a double take—iced tea at a fancy dinner?! What the?!

Something you said also a year ago helps me on vacation — to think through exactly what I would do at each point of the vacation. And in various contingencies. I doubt you could have quite prepared mentally for the weather but maybe now you have watched several evenings like this you could map it out in a way that possibly is less aggravating.

Loads of support and sympathy!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I echo what Dee said yesterday, and totally relate to what Numblady said this morning. I was also one of those drinkers pretending to be a happy drunk, but inside desperately wanting to be that peculiar nondrinker in the crowd. When I’m the sober one at a party now, I sometimes wind up having a conversation with a drunk person who either points out something complimentary about me that validates my choice to stay sober or says they wish they could stop drinking like me as they know how much it would improve their life. Then there are those I hear about the next day, like last weekend, when two of my friends were hungover all day, one of which had to take her 16 year old daughter to ER from having too many Jell-O shots and being stoned. Yes, there are those “normies”. But I dunno, even in my “normie” days I recall thinking wouldn’t it be nice to just not drink at all, to enjoy a healthy ice water instead? That’s just me, though. I’m a bit of a health nut. Everyone is different.

We are the lucky ones, less!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

An summer Saturday, another day at the pool with everyone drinking but me. Not tempted, having a good time. But I don't love it.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
An summer Saturday, another day at the pool with everyone drinking but me. Not tempted, having a good time. But I don't love it.
LG -

You may want to change the people you go on vacation with and hang out with.

I don't remember exactly how long you have been sober, but, for me, I couldn't be around alcohol without its playing a real head game with me.

It hasn't been a problem with me for many years, but it certainly was early on.

I had to give up some friendships because they always involved a keg or other drinking-related get togethers.