Notices

The fear of withdrawal

Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The fear of withdrawal

So scared of withdrawal, and not sure what to do. Trying to finding an outpatient facility here is like wishing to see a unicorn.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are struggling. You mentioned in your first post to SR that you have done a 'rehab stint'. Can you contact these people again?
Old 07-23-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is scary....that is what I kept putting off when I was drinking...that was the clue for me...it was so hard for me to dig my heels in and realize I was going to HAVE to go thru withdrawals to start feeling good again.....

And now that i feel good again finally after a month .....I don't want to ever have to go thru that again.

In rehab or not withdrawal is horrible...rehab is easier cause they take care of everything and your locked up and you get "medically" detoxed (drugs) and it is the PREFERRED way to detox...but I didn't have the money for it...and had to tough it out....Its hard....I know what you are going thru.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes there are underlying issues, but anyone can find a way to quit.

How about getting back to AA meetings? Tell them, they can help.

You can do it.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning . oh yeah I did it the broke person way . cold Turkey . not recommended but I was desperate to get myself better. And you will see alot of other post with the same feeling . and the others that wont do it( get sober) cause they dont want to go thru it. So they continue to drink. Again I just prayed for strength and he provided it for me thus the end result is me being sober for 80 days 😀😀😀 I want to see all post that they have the same ....keep coming back
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cold turkey made my heart stop during a fit so please be careful x
Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go to the ER if you are concerned for your well being. But stopping is the first step so make a plan and move forward. You can do this.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did it cold turkey and I'd do it that way again. The suffering was intense but I chose that uncertain future over a certain death by drinking.

The ER can help you with immediate detox and usually with meds, fluids, potassium, such.

I'd suggest going to AA all the while.

But somehow, you have to quit drinking.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shilla if you're worried the best way is to see a Dr - I deroxed on my own hundreds of times, but the last time was life threatening.

Not suggesting for a minute yours will be like that - just saying the safest way is to see a Doctor.

D
Old 07-24-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I've detoxed on my own cold turkey and medically while in inpatient rehab. I can hands-down say that medical detox was far better. My last detox was medical, and it stuck.

That being said, you have to quit, and might have to do so without a drug taper. Please at least see a doc and let them know what is going on and have them ready in case things take a turn. Detox can be deadly from alcohol.

Detox is the very beginning of the process. How are you going to get and stay sober? Medical detox with no follow up treatment has a huge relapse rate.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Shilla- how are you today? I just noticed your join date was 2018 - glad you are here still talking with us...I know how scary the place you are is, and I hope you reach out IRL to stop. Keep us posted.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No matter how you do it, we are here 24/7 if needed. I hope to see you posting for a long while.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made it through withdrawal painlessly and seamlessly, so to speak, under medical supervision in a treatment center.

I strongly encourage it if you can get into one.

You'll do fine.

And then you never have to do it again.