Notices

What will today bring?

Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What will today bring?

My new routine, if you can call it that, is to enjoy the quiet morning and touch base here on SR. Then a little writing and/ or reading while the daytime creatures of the world wake up.
i have an AA sponsor and have been to a meeting each day. I'm not sure when I'm going today, but I'm going! I'm not sure what else I will do today. I have found staying busy is critical to my attitude so I'll work on a To Do list shortly.
My outlook is improving but I have some pretty down moments through the day. Doesn't help that it's really too hot to do much past mid morning. Maybe a walk is in order.
I'm rambling.
Good morning SR, I'm happy to be starting another sober day!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good Moving Forward

D
Old 07-21-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Recovery is all about change and honestly ‘moving forward’ in some way. Sounds like you’re on the path to doing just that 🙏
Old 07-21-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know today will NOT BRING alcohol into my life...so just that in itself means I will get thru whatever today brings and maybe even ENJOY some of it.

Even thou this heat is oppressive...that is the only down side I see for my day so far...I HATE this heat.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds about right!

Ups and downs, learning how to cope. You're doing it. All moods change. I try to search for contentment...it takes time but its there for everyone.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We had no idea when we hopped in our car
yesterday to go shop for groceries and the
battery would end up being dead. That our
plans were stopped in their tracks and we
needed to regroup.

Sure it is enough to ruffles some feathers
and hit a nerve or 2, however, nothing so
horrible, so traumatic to want to drown
them with a toxic substance.

Of course, there would be no way for us
to pick up a drink because there is no alcohol
in our home and hasn't been for a long time
now.

Taking a moment to breath, calm down, step
back from the situation allowed us to recharge
the battery with a charger we use for our motorcycle
and get our car started again. This then allowed us
to get to the store and buy and replace our old one.

Looking back on that situation yesterday, we are
pretty grateful that it did and not later on down the
road while on a trip.

Today is a new day and we were able to get
our grocery shopping completed this morning,
back home safe and sound and getting our
garbage out for tomorrows pickup day.

There is nothing so hard, so terrible that would
tempt us to pick up alcohol to drink and make a
situation any better. With a program of recovery
used as a guideline on a continuous bases, it helps
us deal with everyday lifes ups and downs with
a sober positive outcome. Thank goodness.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Off to a meeting and I'll see what happens from there!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The positive momentum will build with each small daily act of recovery and self-love you make happen.
Feelings will be a roller coaster for awhile--expect and plan for that. Remember, we have suppressed our feelings for years with alcohol. They will come to the surface now that you are present and can process them. Be patient with your response, and remember to use the tools you have learned when you feel cravings. I find having a chocolate bar, a cup of tea, or a shower to be good "first responses" in early recovery.

You can do this MF
Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Me I'm going to enjoy my day. Did all the major chores yesterday. So today just chill and prep for my work week today at 7 pm. No worries. Keep coming back. Day 78 today woot woot
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well today brought a roller coaster of emotions but I met them as best as I could and I didn't drink.
Time to settle down and add to my gratitude list. Then see what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It gets easier--by this I mean the ups and downs get less dramatic, but if you can, feel the feeling fully and it passes through. I cried a lot in early sobriety, and also felt a great deal of anger and sadness.

The good news is that my feeling of peace also increased, and the fear and self-loathing which was worst when I was drinking also began to go away.

Keeping a journal was helpful for getting it out of my mind and heart and onto a page--kind of like an emotional purge.

Remember to eat and sleep. You may need more rest than you think at first. Sometimes when the emotions got too much I'd just take a shower and get in bed to sleep, read, or just rest quietly.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know I'm new here but I've read a lot of what has been posted and all I can say is that we have your back.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support! A sober day is a good day, any way I look at it.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Plans are good- especially when I got sober. And those to do lists were very short!

Now, I have a lot more on my plate most days- but I've also learned that curveballs happen, people cancel plans (or I have to for some legit reason, not a BS one like back in the day!), and sometimes I need to cut back on all the activity.

I also know that some emotional ups and downs I cannot control are likely to crop up today and this week - my step son is going into a treatment/living house for at least the next 6 mo.

So my real job is to support my husband, then focus on the recovery work at a meeting then a dinner I have with sober friends, and appreciate the time with them.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, so far today has brought a bad attitude. Have you ever just woke up grumpy? Yuck! I'm going to do some writing and try to call someone in a few. Thanks for reading
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep, some days! And my husband and I call it "flipping it" - somehow flipping our thoughts to something positive, hopeful, productive, so on.

I woke up sad and emotional because my step son was accepted to the living/treatment situation even tho he tested positive for THC. Will spare you the story.

Much going on with me and how my life working in recovery on top of my own, and how his situation among others take me way too close back to what I put my family thru.

SO, today has brought my early am meeting and more importantly, asking people close to me who have the expertise for referrals to therapist. I've called the two at the top of the list and have three more options.

Self care means proactive layer onto my emotional needs. And time at home with the dogs today.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lo and behold, the day got better. Not amazing, didn't win the lottery, no knights in shining armor BUT I didn't drink and I did what I was supposed to do and I'm ok. Funny how things work sometimes. Love the support here!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Things are still up and down but when I look at it objectively there's definitely more ups than downs. The advice I get here is dead on, just keep it up and things are going to work out.
Today was a good sober day and I'm laying my head down, awaiting what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great attitude MF

D
Old 07-27-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today will bring whatever it brings. The only thing up to me is what I do with it!