Notices

Seriously thinking about doing it

Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seriously thinking about doing it

Hi, don't know if anyone can help. I've not drank for just over three and a half years and not had any real difficulty maintaining for a long time.. until recently. About three or four months ago I got very down due to a lot of stress and events and the doctor has prescribed me a very low dose of sertraline to help. The last month I've really felt like drinking and feel like I'm missing out socially, I also believe I would be able to just drink socially. The hardest times are when I go out for a meal or think about a holiday and just feel it's not the same without being able to have a drink like everyone else. Hopefully it will pass but sometimes I really feel like I might be able to moderate
Old 07-20-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sertraline is a pretty serious drug, does your doctor know about your past drinking problems? I would definitely talk to the prescribing doctor - there may be another drug that is more suitable.

I can't take SSRIs at all, the side effects are too much for me. If this is a new craving, I'd get in to your doctor as soon as possible.

Really think about that whole "moderation" thing. I know better than to test that, I've seen the results too many times.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Abstaining and control are two very different things.

I learned the hard way that just because I can abstain from drinking fairly easily and for long periods of time does not mean I can control drink. Not for long, anyway.

So far out of the thousands of posts I've read on this list, I haven't seen one success story of someone with a serious alcohol problem being able to "backshift" to moderation successfully long-term.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

I don't know if this will help or not, but in my experience, I have never woken up in the morning and said "Damn I missed a great opportunity to drink yesterday". I have woken up in the morning and said "Damn I did it again."
Old 07-20-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are SSRIs with much less severe side effects than Sertraline. For example, citalopram. I agree with Bimini that you should explore alternatives with your GP.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd speak to your doctor about it. And I wouldn't advise drinking at all. Not to mention that drinking will negate the effects of antidepressants.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, and don't waste 3.5 years on an 'experiment'.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hopefully it will pass but sometimes I really feel like I might be able to moderate

normal/regular non-addicts don't sit around thinking ahead to when they can next drink and devising a plan to keep their drinking under control. alcohol does not consume their thoughts. if they are at a meal or social event, they are able to be present and in the moment, rather than focus on how many others have a drink in their hands.

sertaline is nothing to mess with. and alcohol would be a serious BAD idea.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, I made it through the weekend t total without totally loosing it!

My doctor knows about my addictions and assured me that sertraline/zolof isn't addictive. She wants me to take 50mg per day but I have stayed on 25mg against her wishes. I was really reluctant to take antidepressants and haven't ever taken them before but I was in a really bad place. I haven't had any major side effects and hope to come off them quite soon. I must admit the AV has been strong recently, don't know if it's because of the sertaline.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I am glad you remained strong.

I can't count the number of "Day One" posts that start with, "I thought I could drink normally again."

Don't add yourself to that number.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dan,

Before my current sobriety I had relapsed after having about 2 or 3 months sober previously (don't remember exactly but it wasn't too long).

During that time I came down with tonsillitis and was prescribed antibiotics and painkillers. Taking one, or the other, or both of those medications awoke the beast within like I couldn't believe. I don't think I would have been successful with my last sobriety attempt regardless but I relapsed in short order after taking my prescribed medication.

I learned my lesson, now I wouldn't even pop a Tic Tac in my mouth without consulting a doctor first.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dan sorry I missed the original post but glad you made it through the weekend.

I don;t know how long you've been taking them or whether the meds are a factor or not but you have a right and responsibility to go see your Dr about it.

If necessary get a second opinion until you're satisfied.

What kind of things have you been doing to stay sober 3.5 years?

D