Notices

Not today

Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not today

Afternoon everyone, I think a while back i was moaning how bored I was, how uninspired I was. Feeling like I needed to feel happy an I didn't.
Well I take that all back lol.
Yesterday it suddenly occurred to me how content I was with the little things in life. I just pottered about, took my pup for her daily walk to the park. I've struck up some unlikely friendships with many dog walkers now. Mainly to old boys called "Dennis an Dave " I think they are in their 70's . I look forward to our chats. Sitting on a park bench, walking around the park together. They are a pair of old charmers lol. I really enjoy there company.
Having a long soak in the bath doing the whole pampering thing. Cooking a nice meal. Yesterday was a typical day for me now. I don't feel the need for something "exciting " to happen.
Today was much the same, I had a visit from a friend, who invited me to go over for a few beers, I didn't even flinch, just politely said no thanks.
It hasn't bothered me in the slightest, no sweaty palms at the mention of alcohol.
I think you all know I'm on new medication, I would not even risk drinking on them. It would 100% result in a blackout. Even 1 pint would knock me out.
So tonight will be a sober, content night.
I don't feel the need to try and chase happiness it just happens. I never thought I'd feel so calm an accepting of my new found ways.
So have a safe, sober Saturday everyone. Much love as always Doris xx
Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience is that happiness comes from within and not externally. If you stay sober and in honest recovery then these moments of serenity will be the norm. They are priceless.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate to just be content with the simple pleasures of life other than chasing a drug induced high. Glad you are doing well keep up the good work!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel the same Doris and it took some time to sink in. For some reason we expect instant gratification from sobriety as well. It does not work like that and that is ok.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found the same thing, Doris.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love this. I'm always chasing. In this moment I am content. The "adventure" of the drink is just me trying to force happiness.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats so true, i was always chasing something too. Now feel ready to just enjoy the ordinary moments of daily life and i realise there isn't anything to chase, life is in the here and now, and yes its the small things that can bring the most contentment.