Notices

Can anyone help with AA advice please

Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

about the sharing, Pinky:
most meetings i've been to, and most folks i’ve met there, have a concept of what they “should share” about, and it is not at all what the program itself mentions, which is worded something similar to :disclosing in a general way.
you’ve likely heard that read many times. mostly, i see that being ignored
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't attend meetings anymore, tho I used to go in my first year. As far as sharing, just share what you're comfortable with. You don't have to give every detail. Mostly what I used to share about was gratitude. How being grateful changed my life for the better.

Congrats on almost 3 months sober!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Congratulations on your sobriety thus far! You have the most important message down, and that’s abstinence is the key to long term success. Most of what I have learned from AA have been methods to that goal, but the most helpful has been to keep what works for you and leave the rest. I now go to AA to feel part of a community and support others in achieving and maintaining sobriety. As others have said, there are different styles to different meetings, so if you are not getting anything from attending the meeting you have been going to, try another if you can. And if you get all the support you need from SR and other online resources, that’s OK too. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just throwing something in- most of us had the fear of knowing people. And the truth is that those people are there for the very same reason you are. I have truthfully found that people I already thought highly of who turned out to also be alcoholics in recovery just made me think even better of them.

We are brave to get sober. For me, it's about me and living in recovery, not what anyone else thinks. Also - lots of people saw me drunk, or possibly worse, hear gossip of things even more outrageous than I had done....still has to be about me staying sober.