# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2019 Part 2

continues from here :

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-20.html

D
Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! I got to be the first post besides Dee. I'm getting ready to go to sleep, just wanted to see what's going on here first. I hope everyone enjoys waking up sober tomorrow morning! Saturday's sober are the best!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Yesterday afternoon I had quite a trigger that I managed to ride out..
My husband can be somewhat of a trigger at times (we obv have some big relationship issues that I usually take the blame for...I’ll take accountability for my side of the street to clean up, but I’ve been taking the blame for years and it partly drove me to seeking out these poor coping behaviours with alcohol, etc), and it all came up again yesterday. Nonetheless, I stayed the course and stayed sober.
I’m in continual counselling, so I’m dealing and working with my side. I can’t make anyone change, I know, but it’s just so damn hard right now.

Thanks, I just needed to get that out of my head before I spiral into a dark place this weekend. I’m doing well with not drinking and want to keep my head in the moment without travelling down the, “what if he....?” road, triggering my anxiety and desire to drink.

Best wishes for a strong weekend, everyone.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you rode it out, Sapph!
Happy Sober Saturday everyone!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee

Hi Karen! Happy Sober Saturday morning! Enjoy your day!

Hi Sapph. Great job riding out the trigger/craving. I can relate to having a husband that triggers you, I'm in the same boat. But it can go both ways with my husband....sometimes he is my saving grace and sometimes he is my trigger. Does your husband want you to be sober? My husband definitely supports me being sober and can be a good person to "vent" to but on the flip side he is a negative person by nature and has the tendency to be argumentative and kind of a know it all. Yesterday I coached him on "how" he can be helpful to me....try to be positive, don't start fights with me, be patient with me. I honestly sometimes wonder if I will ever find peace staying with him. But it's not a decision my fragile heart can make right now. I have to focus on my recovery and down the road if that's a decision I need to make then I will when I'm stronger.

Day 2 here for me. I'm grateful to wake up sober but I'm still a little foggy from my last (and I mean LAST) drunk. As much as I would love to bounce back and have a really productive day I'm still feeling low and well lazy. For me today my focus is getting through today sober. This may mean I spend a lot of time on the couch, resting, reading, posting. And maybe I'll snap out of it after some coffee and be productive. It could go either way, really lol

Hope everyone has a wonderful and sober day. Remember to have a plan for when/if cravings strike. I'll be around most of the day, if you are having cravings please post and we can get through them together
Old 07-20-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapph21 View Post
Good morning all!

My husband can be somewhat of a trigger at times (we obv have some big relationship issues that I usually take the blame for...I’ll take accountability for my side of the street to clean up, but I’ve been taking the blame for years and it partly drove me to seeking out these poor coping behaviours with alcohol, etc), and it all came up again yesterday. Nonetheless, I stayed the course and stayed sober.
I’m in continual counselling, so I’m dealing and working with my side. I can’t make anyone change, I know, but it’s just so damn hard right now.

Thanks, I just needed to get that out of my head before I spiral into a dark place this weekend. I’m doing well with not drinking and want to keep my head in the moment without travelling down the, “what if he....?” road, triggering my anxiety and desire to drink.

I think you are brave and strong, and so very wise to be looking at things so clearly: it does hurt, but it is indeed true. We can only change ourselves, and owning that and working on it the way you are is kind of wonderful Sapph.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning Karen and kgirl and Sapph and everyone

So much love, and yes sober Saturday morning is just so good. Always.

And gosh, you are all dealing with so many things all at once: it is a good idea to wait I think, build up a bit of sober time before making any big decisions. I know they tell us that in the rooms....over and over....and it seems to make good sense to me.

And hitting the couch and just nurturing yourself today is a great plan I think dear kgirl.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Big shout out to Kgirl, Sapph, and Karen for riding out cravings and waking up sober!

Spouses? Mine just got a "clean liver panel", so is feeling very smug about his drinking. Last night, he went so far as tell me that my drinking problem has been standing in the way of him drinking like he wants to. By that, he meant that my sobriety has been standing in the way of him drinking like he wants to. I'm glad he told me that because I suspected this was the case, even after years of my continued abstinence. Now I don't feel guilty about doing whatever it takes to stay sober and to get as much possible distance between myself and a drink. Thankful for honesty.

It's a rainy morning here, so I'm planning to drink some coffee and gather some more tools for my sober toolbox and cuddle with the dogs. Love watching the rain come down!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3. I haven’t been passed a day 3 in 2 months and I’ve tried a lot!

Yes, we’ll done sapph! You sound good and handled that beautifully.

KGirl, Enjoy this day resting and nurturing you.

It is super hot in the Midwest. Success at the pool yesterday with no wine. Although I did have the thoughts to leave and run to the liquor store. Dumb stores. Why are there so many? I’m not really asking the question....I know why.

We will probably go back this afternoon, since my kids Love it. I don’t swim. Just sit by the pool, read a book, and dip in for a quick cool off. But I’m glad they are able to get some exercise and stay cool.

Venuscat, I really like the idea of ordering my groceries for the first couple of weeks. I think I might do that here to reduce all temptation. Whatever it takes at this point.

Have a great day, all!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kinsey, Stay strong in your sobriety. If your hubby begins to drink more his liver panel might not be so clean next visit. Yikes! You are doing so well.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Day 1 for me here. I drank 3 days in a row which is 1 more day then last relapse.

It appears i may have to go back to the 12 step meetings and to swallow my pride.

Hummpfft.

But I believe I will stay sober over this weekend without much problem. The stock market is only open Monday-Friday so this which was a major trigger will not be a factor.

That gives me a clear run-way (like an airplane) to make it to Monday. And with 3 days sober I will start feeling better.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapph21 View Post
Good morning all!

Boy do I understand. Sometimes my wife. But mostly it's my family. It was the reason i picked up again on May 7th. We cannot allow others to affect us this way. You are completely right about keeping our own side of the street. Let's not let others take our achievements and pride from us. Well done getting through it.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe go to a different meeting Purina? There may well be a few to choose from, I hope?

You stopped.....that's great. Now you have that beautiful runway, as you said.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Thanks for the new thread Dee

Hi Karen! Happy Sober Saturday morning! Enjoy your day!

Hi Sapph. Great job riding out the trigger/craving. I can relate to having a husband that triggers you, I'm in the same boat. But it can go both ways with my husband....sometimes he is my saving grace and sometimes he is my trigger. Does your husband want you to be sober? My husband definitely supports me being sober and can be a good person to "vent" to but on the flip side he is a negative person by nature and has the tendency to be argumentative and kind of a know it all. Yesterday I coached him on "how" he can be helpful to me....try to be positive, don't start fights with me, be patient with me. I honestly sometimes wonder if I will ever find peace staying with him. But it's not a decision my fragile heart can make right now. I have to focus on my recovery and down the road if that's a decision I need to make then I will when I'm stronger.

Day 2 here for me. I'm grateful to wake up sober but I'm still a little foggy from my last (and I mean LAST) drunk. As much as I would love to bounce back and have a really productive day I'm still feeling low and well lazy. For me today my focus is getting through today sober. This may mean I spend a lot of time on the couch, resting, reading, posting. And maybe I'll snap out of it after some coffee and be productive. It could go either way, really lol

Hope everyone has a wonderful and sober day. Remember to have a plan for when/if cravings strike. I'll be around most of the day, if you are having cravings please post and we can get through them together
Very sweet of you kgirl. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KinseyMillhone View Post
Big shout out to Kgirl, Sapph, and Karen for riding out cravings and waking up sober!

Spouses? Mine just got a "clean liver panel", so is feeling very smug about his drinking. Last night, he went so far as tell me that my drinking problem has been standing in the way of him drinking like he wants to. By that, he meant that my sobriety has been standing in the way of him drinking like he wants to. I'm glad he told me that because I suspected this was the case, even after years of my continued abstinence. Now I don't feel guilty about doing whatever it takes to stay sober and to get as much possible distance between myself and a drink. Thankful for honesty.

It's a rainy morning here, so I'm planning to drink some coffee and gather some more tools for my sober toolbox and cuddle with the dogs. Love watching the rain come down!
Man it makes it hard when we have spouses that want to keep drinking (often too much) while we are fighting to stay sober. I am completely contrary to the popular consensus here on SR and other programs that we cannot expect others to get us sober, we have to do it ourselves. I feel strongly that our spouses need to be supportive. It was in our damn vows we took with each other. "Support for everything and all my worldly possessions" except addiction?

When my wife is sick, I support her. When she has problems with her family, I support her. When she's frustrated with work, I listen. When she has a dream, we plan it together.

When I need support with sobriety? Sorry, you're on your own! I call BS!

Sorry, not my first rant on this topic. Happy sober Saturday!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purina View Post
Hi All,

Day 1 for me here. I drank 3 days in a row which is 1 more day then last relapse.

It appears i may have to go back to the 12 step meetings and to swallow my pride.

Hummpfft.

But I believe I will stay sober over this weekend without much problem. The stock market is only open Monday-Friday so this which was a major trigger will not be a factor.

That gives me a clear run-way (like an airplane) to make it to Monday. And with 3 days sober I will start feeling better.
You reference your 1stock often as your trigger. Diversification is a wise investment practice to ease the ups and downs. The market is a long game. Watching it daily is not practical. No stock moves in a straight line. If it's too volatile for you maybe move into more conservative investments. Single stock investments is not much different from craps. It's dicey. Lol.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Heat wave this weekend into the 100's, with humidity. I'm not a beach goer and will not go in the ocean (fear of sharks). So I found some lakes that have swimming not far from me. My son and I are packing a cooler and heading to a quiet lake to stay cool.

Nice day yesterday. Out of work early took a dip in the pool. Grilled some salmon and shark (that's right) with a fresh garden salad and some sautéed broccoli for dinner, then went bowling. It started getting very warm and steamy last night so doing something indoors was a must. Bed by 10 and slept til 9:30. Guess my body still needs some rest.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I only have a second, so I will come back later. I just wanted to pop in and let you all know I finally talked to my granddaughter. Very briefly. But it's cool and we're going shopping!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fantastic Karen!!! s
Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

looks like I am going to make it thru Day 1. Had several temptations to drink.

It really sucks to be in this "state of living" where it is a struggle to even get 1 or 2 days sober. But i put myself in this bad position by taking the first drink and throwing away my 26 days of sobriety.

That is why I preach this message in a repetitive manner: Do not take even a single drink or you will awaken that sleeping lion and thereafter find it extremely difficult to jump back on the "water wagon".

You can read my own post history and you will see the pain and anguish that I have been going thru and it is all because I made the one simple mistake: I took 1 drink. And that is the root cause of everything.

So remember, guys. Dont drink no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.

That addictive voice will lie to you and say "Lets just go for 1 last Hurrah. Its no big deal, we will just clean up tomorrow". Buts its not that easy.

When you open that Pandora's box you will not close it as easy as you opened it. And thats for dam.n sure.

For me I am back on point and reading my recovery books, making it my #1 priority to stay clean and placing that priority ahead of anything and everyone else. Its got to be that way at least for the first 15 days. For me, I mean.

Im really fed up now with the drinking. I want to stay clean STRONGER than I want to use. And that is an important prerequisite to "making it". I could not say the same yesterday or the day before it. You can even read it in my post where I even say "i dont think im going to make it" which is basically coded language for "my desire to drink today is stronger than my desire to stay sober".