SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Why I should/should not drink on this trip: (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/440426-why-i-should-should-not-drink-trip.html)

Bonniefloyd 07-19-2019 12:47 PM

Why I should/should not drink on this trip:

So i have a stressful trip ahead, leaving tomorrow. Lots of relatives with drama, big decisions, etc. They live in a resort town so I’m bringing the family, and we’ll try to work in some time for fun stuff. Basically, triggers everywhere, and I’m worried about handling it.

Why drink (according to my AV):
1. I won’t have to deal with cravings
2. I’ll be more relaxed when I interact with certain people
3. I’ll need to unwind
4. Less anxiety
5. I could go right back to being sober afterward.

Why not drink:
1. I won’t have to deal with hangovers
2. I won’t act stupid/obnoxious/rude/oblivious when I interact with certain people
3. I’ll need to think straight
4. #4 on previous list is a lie. So are #s 1-3. And especially #5. What BS.
5. My kids like me sober
6. I like me sober
7. Early sobriety kind of sucks and I don’t want to start over
8. If I drink, then I won’t make time for fun stuff. It’ll just be stress-drink-stress-drink. Better to have stress-fun-stress-fun.
9. I don’t want to mess up my keto diet. So, vanity.
10. If I do go off my diet, it’ll be for ice cream.
11. I can swim in the ocean to unwind. If I drink, I’ll probably just end up looking at the ocean, too buzzed and stressed out to enjoy it.
12. The stressful stuff might not even be that bad. Unless I drink, then it’ll really suck.
13. I have enough to deal with without throwing shame into the mix
14. I need to be strong and available to people who need me to be present
15. Alcohol sucks
16. At least 100 more reasons

Yeah maybe it’s a “no” on the drinking. I hope I can hold strong. I might be checking in here a bit though.

AnvilheadII 07-19-2019 01:20 PM

trust me, it will be 1,000 times EASIER if you ditch the maybe and just commit to NOT drinking, period. a firm commitment is the best way to deal with any cravings as well. nope, not gonna happen, not now, not in ten minutes so Go Away!

i hope you make that choice.

Bonniefloyd 07-19-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII (Post 7230162)
trust me, it will be 1,000 times EASIER if you ditch the maybe and just commit to NOT drinking, period. a firm commitment is the best way to deal with any cravings as well. nope, not gonna happen, not now, not in ten minutes so Go Away!

i hope you make that choice.

Yes, you are absolutely right. That’s the mindset I’m trying to get to. I haven’t been trusting myself lately, and I’m trying to get where I need to be mentally.

ScottFromWI 07-19-2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd (Post 7230142)

Why drink (according to my AV):
1. I won’t have to deal with cravings
2. I’ll be more relaxed when I interact with certain people
3. I’ll need to unwind
4. Less anxiety

1 - until the next day when the cravings come back again
2 - maybe for a short period, but after you get drunk ( which you will ) you will likely do something you will regret anyway
3 - Lots of ways to unwind besides drinking
4 - Actually your anxiety will be worse the next morning
5 - Not everyone does - and you never know when you'll hit the point of no return,.

So to me it sounds like you actually have 0 reasons to drink?

Bonniefloyd 07-19-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 7230177)
1 - until the next day when the cravings come back again
2 - maybe for a short period, but after you get drunk ( which you will ) you will likely do something you will regret anyway
3 - Lots of ways to unwind besides drinking
4 - Actually your anxiety will be worse the next morning
5 - Not everyone does - and you never know when you'll hit the point of no return,.

So to me it sounds like you actually have 0 reasons to drink?

Yep. Exactly. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that I absolutely hate the thought of another day 1.

Tinkerbeau 07-19-2019 02:22 PM

Hi Bonnie great list !!! Im only at end of day 3 and no you really don't want to be back here, i never want to be back here

Callas 07-19-2019 02:27 PM

You defnitely have convinced yourself. Good going. Hope the trip is fun and enjoy.

Zucc36 07-19-2019 02:39 PM

I agree with the sentiment that when you accept you wont and cant drink it makes things so much easier. In a situation like that , if you can keep yourself occupied when those first couple of drinks are out, and then you start to see people getting tipsy, it can help remind you that you dont want to go there.

2ndhandrose 07-19-2019 02:52 PM

This jumped out at me in a big way.

When I relapsed I believed that I could/would just drink for short time and get right back to my sober life.

It ended up taking me 22ish years to find my way back.

Sobriety is way too precious to throw away on the off chance that I would be able to control the length of my relapse.

:grouphug:

Bonniefloyd 07-19-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau (Post 7230184)
Hi Bonnie great list !!! Im only at end of day 3 and no you really don't want to be back here, i never want to be back here

Thanks tb! It definitely gets easier, which is why I don’t want to go backward. I firmly believe that I could easily lose all my progress if I don’t watch out.

Hey, congrats on day 3! :)

Bonniefloyd 07-19-2019 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose (Post 7230197)

This jumped out at me in a big way.

When I relapsed I believed that I could/would just drink for short time and get right back to my sober life.

It ended up taking me 22ish years to find my way back.

Sobriety is way too precious to throw away on the off chance that I would be able to control the length of my relapse.

:grouphug:

Oh yeah, this is by far my favorite lie to tell myself. And I’ve fallen for it more times than I can count. Truth is, I have no control. My on/off switch is broken; if I start drinking, who knows when I’ll stop.

2ndhandrose 07-19-2019 03:24 PM

my switch is definitely broken, too, Bonnie!

My days of testing it are over :)

You've got this :grouphug:

bexxed 07-19-2019 03:31 PM

Vacations are so much better sober!

Also if you drink in a sunny, salty place, your hangover will be worse because you’ll be doubly dehydrated.

But the best reason to not drink is because drinking prevents you from actually living, which you’ve illustrated here. So zero reasons to drink, fifteen+ to not!

Have fun!

Dee74 07-19-2019 03:39 PM

I believe you can do this Bonnie :)

D

Jeni26 07-20-2019 12:58 AM

You got this Bonnie....

Maybe try and fit in an early morning walk along the seafront each day before everyone else wakes. Take it in and remember you wouldn’t have done that if you’d drunk the day before.

It’s a beautiful world we live in when we remember to slow down and really look ❤️

MyLittleHorsie 07-20-2019 04:40 AM

I have the world's worst inlaws. Ok I totally do not, but we are not close. When I drank so much worse. Being sober around them, the relationship is 1000x better. They are still a massive pain in my ass, but better.
Be sober, hang out here. :)

Zighoul 07-20-2019 04:58 AM

Hey Bonnie!
Wishing you extra strength and smiles on your trip. ♡

Misssy2 07-20-2019 05:03 AM

The undeniable feeling of accomplishment you will have when you return from this trip and had not drank! It will make you stronger.

If you do drink there are so many negatives but the biggest one I saw was your "children" ...letting them down...confusing them on a family vacation when you have done so well ...would be terrible for them...

Stay strong...fight this fight and enjoy your vacation....

Bonniefloyd 07-20-2019 08:08 AM

Thanks guys, your encouragement has really helped me get my head screwed on right. We’re in the car now, almost out of Texas. We have lots of snacks, bottled water, two Annie Grace books on my phone for motivation, and a fully charged Fitbit for when we get to the halfway point in several hours. (I’m going to unwind by walking, not drinking.)

I’ll be checking in a bit. If things get hard, I’ll post first. But it’s only a struggle if I let it be, right? My mind is made up; I’m not drinking on this trip.

dpac414 07-20-2019 08:29 AM

Thinking of you Bonnie! You definitely seem like you have a solid plan for this trip. It’ll be hard, but if you get through this it will be easier next time.

eve123 07-21-2019 12:31 AM

Think you know the answer to this don’t you. The first five reaseond to pick up are just the lies of the AV alcohol is just one big fake promise. You can get through this and have fun sober. Imagine that no consequenses tovdesl with afterwards.

Bonniefloyd 07-21-2019 05:27 AM

Sorry if it’s self indulgent, but I’m going to go on and use this thread to check in and keep myself accountable for the next week. It’s not exactly riveting stuff, but it helps me knowing I’m going to come here and post.

Yesterday there was traffic in several parts of Louisiana, which meant our arrival here
was delayed. And the hotel is right by a freeway, so there was no place to walk and it was getting late anyway. So yeah, after spending the day in the car, no walk.

Things Not Going My Way is one of my top reasons to drink, especially when one of my favorite ways to unwind isn’t happening. So my AV was really filling my head with some bright ideas.

Then we went out to eat at a restaurant nearby, and I had a nice steak and some roasted asparagus (because keto), along with a tall glass of iced tea.

After that I learned that my son had brought his xbox from home, so I helped him kill a bunch of aliens then went to bed sober.

Today is more driving, ending at our destination. The hotel we’ll be in tonight is near the beach. Even if it’s late, I’m getting my walk, and I won’t drink.

Bonnefond87 07-21-2019 08:44 AM

Keep posting please - I'm enjoying your journey and your (sober) vacation with you.

Bonniefloyd 07-21-2019 08:54 PM

Oh dear god, today was rough. Not sure how I’m going to make it through the rest of this trip. But we’ve arrived in Florida, and my kids are way excited to be here. I’ve picked up on those feelings a bit and am starting to get into things.

Tomorrow will be tough. I have to take care of some business regarding my stepdad’s will. Also, it’s just hitting me ... the sadness over losing him. And now what to do for my mom? She can no longer live independently.

One thing at a time though, and it’ll be okay. Right? Whatever happens, we will go to the beach. Everything looks fine when you’re sitting on the beach.

Anyway, I’m rambling and tired, but glad to be sober. G’ night.

Dee74 07-21-2019 09:29 PM

Hi Bonnie

the only way to learn to live live to the full, without alcohol, is to do just that.

You'll get some bad times., but a lot of good times too - and we're here for support through both :)

I found I was stronger and more capable than I ever knew - but I needed to stay sober to find that out.

You will too - you don't need alcohol - you don't need to 'take the edge off' that way - think of some healthy alternatives to relax.

D

Bonniefloyd 07-22-2019 04:16 AM

Thanks Dee. I guess this is my first big challenge since getting sober. Mostly things have been going smoothly the past several months, but I was going to have to face a few challenges sooner or later. I’m going to be feeling pretty smug when I get through this sober.

This morning I woke up before sunrise, had some coffee, and went for a walk on the beach at first light. Throughout my years as an adult, I’ve traveled to many beaches. This was the first time I’ve ever woken up hangover free and taken morning stroll. It was awesome.

biminiblue 07-22-2019 05:04 AM

I grew up in Florida and sunrise on the ocean is gorgeous.

You can make it through this, BF. Just remember the same things we say about drinking parties apply to your current situation.

If it gets to be too much you can always excuse yourself from the conversation and go outside and breathe. There are lots of instances in life where I walk away rather than get worked up.

Have an escape plan. Put pretty pictures on your phone and look at them if stressed. Carry a list stating why you quit.

I have things with me to keep my hands busy. Sometimes it's just a pine cone or a rock or shell, but something to fidget with always helps me.

Breathe. . .in. . . .https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/

MLD51 07-22-2019 08:12 AM

Dee said this and it jumped right out at me:

I found I was stronger and more capable than I ever knew - but I needed to stay sober to find that out.

This, all day long. Once you do some really hard things sober, and realize how capable you really are of getting through ANYTHING sober, it gets so much easier. Every time you face a challenge and don't turn to alcohol, you get stronger. Work those sober muscles.

Last year after my dad died, I had to handle everything, from 400 miles away. There was literally no one else to do it. I also still had a life of my own to deal with. It was one of the most stressful times of my life. Oddly, I had almost zero thoughts of drinking until it was all over. But there was no way I was going to do that, and it was just because I was so TIRED.

You can get through this, Bonnie. Keep posting here, remember to eat, rest, and breathe, and you'll be so happy when you realize you can do hard things sober.

Bonniefloyd 07-22-2019 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. The encouragement is really helping me.

Today was good. Except for the part when I cried in front of people (because we were talking about my recently departed stepdad), and now everyone suspects I’m human.

Other than that, things went remarkably well today. 1000 times better than I even hoped. We had a nice visit with my mom. It was funny — I had to remind her who Mr Bonnie was, and she was so happy for me and our marriage. Of course we’ve been married for over 20 years, but she was so happily surprised. And she got a big kick out of the kids; it was so good for her to be around them. She doesn’t remember much, but it was fine; she is happy and in good spirits.

All the other issues and concerns are working out. I’m getting the feeling that everything is actually, for real, going to be okay.

Anyway, tomorrow is about fun. We’re taking Mom out to lunch, then after we drop her back off, the family and I will head for the beach. I’m really looking forward to a relaxing day.

Not out of the woods yet, but things are looking good.