Notices

My relationship was wrecked by alcohol!

Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My relationship was wrecked by alcohol!

Good morning,
I am seeking so impute on a relationship that started off very loving, respectful and kind. It was until a year later I found out he was an alcohol and started drinking 4 years before knowing him after being in recovery for 25yrs. I was stunned. Didn't see it coming nor his family. A closet drinking that when off the rail. He tried detox for a week , psyche ward tow weeks later and then a month in rehab. All of this happened with within 2 months of learning his disease. Crazy! But I was there when he came out and he relapsed a week later. I pulled away since we should not be in a relationship and feel his pain but I feel mine. Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Love Kate
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation.

The best thing you can do is to take care of yourself. You might like to check out AlAnon in your city as a support for you. I hope your boyfriend decides to seek support for his alcoholism.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take care of you. Put the rest in his (higher power) hand . Keep coming back
Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be a friend and keep it at that for now.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My Boyfriend is out of Rehab for the second time in 2 months!

Hello and I hope I can get some real advise.
I am new to all of this and AA. I was in a relationship for a year and then found out his was an alcoholic. He tried to stop on his own but couldn't. He was sober for 20 plus years and went back after his marriage started to come to an end and his sponsor passed away. Now after 6 months without being with him and Rehab twice, Phyic ward for a week due to denial, he says he has not drank in over 50 days and got his Will back. He wants to mend what was broken and get me back. I am not sleeping with him and just trying to take is slow but I really am confused with how to move forward . Thank you _ Kate
Old 10-03-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate

If I was you I would take the advice above from July - check out AlAnon - and if you're not prepared to go no contact, definitely keep a little distance.

It might be hard to hear but someone whos been struggling like he has really needs to focus on his recovery first right now, I think?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do check out AlAnon in your city as a support for you. I hope that your boyfriend remains sober.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your feed back. I found out he started to drink again from his daughter. I have to move on because it is ridiculous at this point. Easier said then done but I blocked his number and I guess that's a start. Should I still go to AlAnon even though I don't have a relationship with me know? I loved him very much but only knew him a year and probably didn't really know him when you think about it. so unfair
Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

AlAnon's for you, not the drinker in your life.
You may find support and ideas to help you move on