Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bimini I love the owl and the pussycat pic.
love this thread. What a good read.
well done Mags xxxxx
Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

I had the "ping" very early on, thank goodness. Since then, I really have had no serious desire to drink. Yeah, I have random thoughts here and there, but never have I been close to actually drinking. It was a whole shift in my being that was almost the most interesting and profound thing I have experienced (my first child being born was more profound). I know it doesn't happen that way for everyone. But I believe we all get there eventually. I just got lucky and had that ping just when I needed it. Now that I have been through some serious ish sober, I have confidence that nothing in the world requires drinking. Nothing.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Snoozy, hope you’re soon feeling better love. xx
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Have you had the ‘ping’ yet? When you realise ‘Nope, Nah, Nada, Never!

And more importantly ‘how do we get there and how do we stay there?
I had the moment of clarity that is often talked about in recovery circles. It was a brief moment in time that I often reflect on. Sitting in a dimly lit room holding an empty bottle of whiskey...it seemed like the entire universe stood still in that moment. It was when I realized that I truly did not want to continue the way I was existing. I say existing because I certainly was not living and I certainly wasn't going to be living longer at the rate I was going.

I've prioritized exploring my beliefs about God and relationship with God in my third year of sobriety. The weekender is supposed to be light hearted banter so I don't want to get too deep but I truly believe God saved me. There is no other explanation that makes sense to me. But that is personal and I respect the spiritual perspective of others.

What keeps me sober is being the architect of my life. There is no room for alcohol when I am busy setting goals and working towards achieving them.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I often refer to my moment of clarity as a God moment. Or a spiritual awakening. I can't explain it better than that, really. It was such a revelation that I was actually smiling while I was being booked for the DUI that happened shortly after I took what would become my last drink. It was like God or the universe or whatever said to me. "OK, you've had enough now. Time to surrender." And in that moment, I did. And the sense of relief I felt immediately made me smile. (Then I went home and cried for about 3 straight days).
Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Spot on. It’s never “ a drink”, is it. Therein lies the problem.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!

Welcome to Weekenders Sapph21, MovingForward1. I don't have much in the way of plans for the weekend as I have will probably have to go in to work on Saturday morning.

I had my ping moment two or three years before I got sober, maybe more but my addiction was so bad that willpower wasn't enough to get me the two or three months you need before the regular cravings subside. Desperation drove me to climb out of bed at zero dark thirty and spend every spare minute working on an old motor car to avoid craving time from 5pm ish onwards. Cravings, if you can't beat them, avoid them.

I got brushed off at the company I intended to visit this morning so I skyved off and went to visit one of England's myriad of stately homes - Chatsworth House. It was most impressive I must say.

Edit. Welcome Callas!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

there's an amusing quip which is probably apocryphal, but I've heard it to attributed to Peter O'Toole or Richard Harris saying "it only takes one drink to get me drunk - usually the 13th or 14th".

it only take me one drink to get drunk - the first. the 13th & 14th would come later, but they would surely come.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is nothing so bad that drinking won't make it worse.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
There is nothing so bad that drinking won't make it worse.
^ this. I believe this to be true 100% of the time. That’s what I’ve been reminding myself lately. Every time I think about drinking, I follow it up by thinking, how much worse could it get if I started drinking again? I’m not curious enough to put that to the test.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

andyh - that quote sums it up for me. I have never, ever in my (long) drinking life had a single drink.

I'd love to think I'd had that ping moment and maybe I have but I don't want to jinx anything by being too definite this early on! I'm at almost 4 weeks and it feels like this could be it.

I am away this weekend, in fact away for the next two weeks, and currently staying in a nice hotel. Which has a mini bar in the room. I haven't even looked inside it and I don't intend to. That's a first for me.

Thanks Mags for this and all the thoughtful weekender threads you provide. Really helpful.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Meh, midnight here and i'm tired but not sleepy, probably caused by work pressure and a long drive.

I can give an example of a ping moment I had in 2013 or 14. I would drink half a bottle of whiskey every night without fail but this time I had a fairly heavy cold, (manflu) enough for me to take time off of work and, amazingly, stop drinking for a few days. It was on about day 3 that I realised that even though I was in the middle of a stinking cold I still felt better than my normal state. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to draw certain conclusions.

This song is from Weekender CaptainHaddock's country of South Africa and features the fabulous Mahotella Queens. I hope you are doing OK Captain and will look in on us one day.

nb. There are some flashing lights in the vid (not too intense)

Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'll have to give this topic some thought, and mebbe hit it later this Weekender.

Right now, I'm too happy to take a stroll down my personal Bummer Memory Lane. I just sold my 2014 Truck to the first Gent who inquired about it a few Days ago. Knocked off the $500- I'd added on to appease anyone who HAD to play the Negotiation Game. After his thorough Truck exam in a Farm & Ranch Store Parking Lot, and a Test Drive, we did the Paperwork at his Bank. Easy Peasy, really.

This Ford Truck uniquely can be towed 4 Wheels down. No Tow Trailer, or Dolly, req'd. I'd also put on Suspension-stiffening, inflatable Air 'Bags'. He wants to load his ATV in the Truck Bed, and tow it all behind his 38' RV Bus while prospecting for Gold down in the Arizona Mountains in Winter. It's a *thing* down there. Plus, he wanted the blue color my Truck was.

I was a tired Pup last NIght after washing and detailing the Truck over 3 Days p/t. Too hot to work all Day outside. In my continuing Anti-Procrastination Initiative, I put all my Tools away last Night. Washed numerous Utility Towels. Thanks, Sobriety!

All this was MUCH more satisfying than laying around in what's clinically called 'Persistent Stupor' where you're never fully awake and alive. A Celebratory Lunch today was at our fav Sushi Joint not far away...

~ Hot Sauce ~ Thomas Dolby ~

Old 07-18-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm really glad I just ate or that would have killed me, Mesa.

In for the night. The "finished" deck project is still a hot mess and I told the foreman but I'm letting it go now. Slap some paint on it and hopefully it will look okay. The foreman said if these siding guys ever show up on a job of his again he's walking off.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

It’s Friday! Yaaay. , when I was working I’d always wanted to ‘bottle up’ that Friday feeling to release on a Monday!

Mesa, the food looks gorgeous., pleased you sold your truck.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I sent on a date tonight and it wasn’t bad but it also wasn’t great. Proud I put myself out there but also don’t think it’s gonna go anywhere.

I will catch up tomorrow, I swear.

night everyone.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I didn't get a ping moment. I had fallen far too far down the hole and hit the bottom hard.

Now it is a long hard climb out.

I just hope I don't slip...
Old 07-19-2019, 12:21 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Checking in for another sober weekend xx
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, we’ll get your arms if you reach up! ’s

Hi Shenzy
Old 07-19-2019, 01:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)