Notices

Emotional drama

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional drama

I seriously can't take anymore but I was wondering is this just an alcoholic trait? Or a dysfunctional family trait?

it seems like everyone around me is full of their own drama and they don't care who they spill it on.

I'd appreciate your input .

Thanks
Old 07-16-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that there is often drama in families. The main thing is to remove yourself from those situations. This is a time to take care of yourself. You don't need to pick up the phone or respond to texts if things are upsetting you.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hard to say. It could be your family system, a function of alcohol, or both.

The amount of drama I caused has drastically reduced. I would venture to say a 90% reduction. I can now walk away from drama - I don’t feel compelled to get wrapped up in it, solve the problems, stay involved, etc.

One of the many benefits of sobriety is that you can actively choose to leave the drama behind.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no alcoholic gene, but there are genes that control one's ability to deal with stress.

All compulsive behavior serves an emotional purpose.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-emotions.html (Emotions)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Since you are newly sober, I imagine that your own emotions are on a bit of a roller coaster. Things will settle down and I imagine you'll be in a much better position to deal with other people's drama.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic but can definitely see that people as a whole have become much more self absorbed. Even in politics it's no longer what is good for a nation as a whole, but what is good for me, me, me!

I have been getting quite frustrated with it too. At my work we are a couple of people short, and every time you even try to speak to someone it's them complaining about how much work they have. Like we don't all have that much??

It's VERY frustrating for sure. You are not alone.

You cannot control how someone else acts, but can definitely control how you react. That is my mantra over and over....
Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know there is drama in my family, I'm an alcoholic my sister that died was a drug addict..my other sister (3 of us) alcholics....

Neither of my parents were alcoholics, we went to church and Our parents were strict...they wanted a normal life..never had drama there (they never fought or disciplined us unless it was warranted)....

Me and my sisters caused a lot of drama with our alcoholism thou.

Two of us as we grew up we started voicing how we felt about their parenting....

But my younger sister was "spoiled" and she drinks too.

I think where there is any broken relationships...there is drama..not sure it has ALL To do with alcohol.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me and drama dont get along. Just like me and booze dont get along. Now I just deal with life. And it is managable now.........that I'm sober..keep coming back
Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd say both, to answer your question.

And I had to realize just how much "drama" meant - it isn't just flouncing out of a room for attention, or a "drama queen" stirring up problems....it's also creating problems that don't exist so we can solve them at the last minute (ie, spend money we should put aside for rent on, ahem, other stuff, then scramble at the end of the month- anyone?) or go round and round with family about who's going to host some dinner and get all frustrated or.....

I had to learn to keep my side of the street clean, as the saying goes in AA, and do my part to not create drama with others (I was actually a main culprit when drinking, what do you know!) and not get sucked into others'....it's a process.