Notices

Feeling overwhelmed

Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling overwhelmed

I won’t bore you with the story. We all have stories, and my situation isn’t special.

It’s just that I have a lot on my plate and I don’t even know where to begin. Suddenly all these complicated responsibilities have come knocking on my door. It’s not the kind of stuff I can hand off to other people. It’s not bad, necessarily. It’s just ... a lot.

It’s a good thing I’m not drinking. If I did that, this complicated situation would turn into a full blown nightmare. Not that I’m not tempted; I just know I can’t.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Isn't it weird that all of a sudden . newly sober that we have to deal with this thing called life? How we managed or thought we managed before baffles me. Me at 73 days just go with the flow. Long as I have a sound mind. Im good. Keep coming back
Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yup, being sober will help you to get through this.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Isn't it weird that all of a sudden . newly sober that we have to deal with this thing called life? How we managed or thought we managed before baffles me. Me at 73 days just go with the flow. Long as I have a sound mind. Im good. Keep coming back
No kidding. Thank god these things didn’t go down last year; I would've made a mess of it. Right now I’m overwhelmed, but at least I don’t have shame and a hangover tossed into the mix.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can only tackle today, so one thing at a time, one right action at at time and you'll get through it.

Prayers for a peaceful solution.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I know this is going to sounds obvious or simplistic, but it helps me when I have complicated situations that seem overwhelming to break them down into lists of concrete steps I can take, and just start doing things one at a time. Sometimes, in making the lists, I discover things that actually do not require action on my part at all. It just helps clear the clutter out of my head. I have been known to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about something, and getting my phone out while I'm lying there to make a list.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I know this is going to sounds obvious or simplistic, but it helps me when I have complicated situations that seem overwhelming to break them down into lists of concrete steps I can take, and just start doing things one at a time. Sometimes, in making the lists, I discover things that actually do not require action on my part at all. It just helps clear the clutter out of my head. I have been known to wake up in the middle of the night worrying about something, and getting my phone out while I'm lying there to make a list.
That makes sense. Right now even making a list feels insurmountable, but it’s probably a good starting point. One things for sure: the answer isn’t in a bottle. No matter what my AV might be saying right now.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - when things get like that for me I make a priorities list Bonnie.
Best wishes with all of it

D
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

When I was a drunk, I was more uptight. Those days are gone. Folks that I impacted back in the day, are still a bit traumatized from my actions. This may never change.

These days...

I work to achieve max results with minimal effort.

I know that I am not a genius, I wouldn't be in the position I am in if I was.

I am content letting others hustle and bustle.

Health, Family, God. The trifecta. The order changes by the moment as needed. Sometimes I am sick, sometimes my kid needs help, sometimes I need to pray to my God.

Another key to my comfort are fat self made compound interest earning retirement accounts. Somewhat diversified.

Seriously.

Don't listen to financial managers. They are talking heads. Manage your own money.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry...
Old 07-17-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I empathize too! Lots of stuff on my plate right now, some of it pretty darn big.

I heard an analogy in a meeting yesterday. Air traffic control lands one plane at a time. It proceeds to the hanger, and another one lands, and so on. Sometimes there are a lot of planes in line, backed up on the runway. They still have to proceed one at a time in the right direction.

That was a good visual for me- and I've been remembering lately that with the big (like a stepson maybe finally accepting he needs to go into a year long residential treatment place) and the small, that they are indeed all first world sober person problems and I (and my husband and I) are equipped to handle them- and know that it will be OK.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I like that, analogy, August. Sometimes things can only happen in a specific order, and there's no sense in getting ahead of yourself.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like the “first world sober problems” August. So to the point.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I know things will be fine, eventually. I also can’t help the fact that I’m feeling overwhelmed at the moment, no matter how I try to put it into perspective.

There are too many variables, too much that I don’t know. I’ll feel better about things in a week or two. I have to go out of state to take care of executing my stepdads will (which has a lot of people hurt and worried, and I don’t know what to do about that), sort out my mom’s long term care because her health has taken a dive, some other stuff I’m trying to make sense of. So whatever happens, at least I’ll have a better idea about what’s up pretty soon.

Im a little worried about being around emotional people in these next couple of weeks. That’s a big trigger.

Yeah. First world sober problems. I like that.