Notices

Day 1(again)

Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1(again)

Im hoping to make this my last day 1, for the past decade i've been consuming 10 - 20 beers a night and it has absolutely ruined my life...
I'm 34 years old and I feel like my life is over and I know that makes no sense of course since 34 is still pretty young but it just feels like that at the moment.

I really want to quit drinking and I kinda feel scared posting about it here because it means opening up about something which i've been keeping silent about for so many years...
For now I'm just hoping to get through the day on 30 minutes of sleep while dealing with withdrawals I just know this is gonna be a really rough day.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Grouse, this is a wonderful site to find support. For tonight just focus on the next minute, and then the next one, you can do this.

Glad you’re here.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Grouse,
You can do this. I'm in my early quit again myself and I was on the high end of your consumption numbers, 18 plus on a daily bases.
It can be done one day at a time.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to have you join us Grouse

I remember being nervous about sharing my problem too - but this community was great and they helped me change my life - I know we can help you too

D
Old 07-15-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really hoping you found a way to get better sleep and get thru Day 1.....Day 2 was always the roughest for me...So thinking of you this morning...
Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol has a sick way of making every situation seem so much worse than it is. I was about the same age when I quit drinking. I felt the same way, that at 35 I was old and washed up. It took a while but after some time away from the drink, I realized that was alcohol twisting my thoughts. Can really relate to your thoughts, and just wanted to share my experience, that once I stopped, and gave my brain some time to heal, those thoughts have gone away.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thirty-four is indeed very young, which is a really good thing. Once you accumulate some sober days and start to heal, you will see that you have a long and wonderful life ahead of you. Just get through a minute at a time if you have to. Everyone here is really nice and supportive. I am new too, but I feel so hopeful that I can overcome this insidious disease. You can too! Keep posting as often as you need to.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Grouse! You found an encouraging, friendly group. We all understand what it's like in the early days of quitting - you're never alone.

I felt just as you do when I was 34 - but instead of taking action, I kept trying to control my drinking. I went on for many more years, slowly destroying everything I'd built up, & even ended up with 2 dui's. This will never happen to you - I'm thankful you've seen the light & know it's time to get free. You will do it!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey welcome aboard my friend, we have all been where you are now, for some a thousand times, but we are here. I started this journey at Christmas, a few f**k ups along the way but I'm still here. The only advice I can give you is take on board any advice given, keep close, keep posting. You will find support from people that have gone through it. This site is amazing lean on us as an when you need. Much love an strength to you my friend 🙏💖 Doris x
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome, Grouse
opening up was a huge turning point for me, too, and has panned out very well.
stick around.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome . you have come to the right place my brother. Much love on this site. Stick around.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
I really want to quit drinking and I kinda feel scared posting about it here because it means opening up about something which i've been keeping silent about for so many years...
Welcome Grouse.

I sometimes wonder just how many people are out there keeping silent about struggles with alcohol. I think we may be a hidden army.

You are in the right place. I hope you stick around.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

how is it going today, Grouse?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its never too late. Welcome
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel just the same way, and nothing seems to work, but again i have to ask myself if I am truly doing anything at all. I feel low and bit down....Lets walk this journey together, i need all the support I can get.