Notices

Self centred-very hard to understand others.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self centred-very hard to understand others.

Hi everyone,
I am mindful to see the drawbacks of long time alcohol abuse.
I was experiencing people saying not listening them well.I miss the conversation so badly.Actually I make too much self talk .Being alone and no one to share and care I tried to find the solution within.However I have been a good friend of mine ,I developed a bad habit to talk too much on background of my mind.Either I can't focus listening to others or my brain is impaired a little bit or may be both .
My intention is always to listen others ,however my brain can't manage to understand someone specially if he or she speaks fluently or quickly.
Anyone here has experienced the same problem ?.
Anyone who get recovered from this .If so how ?
I am now quite serious to tackle this issue because of this I lost so many opportunities and lost self esteem in return.
Thanks guys take care !
Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Paul

Every one of us wants to fix ourselves NOW and be the best person we can be - but we can forget that we didn't end up addicts or alcoholics over night either - that took time - and so does our recovery.

Helping people keeps me centered and in the right perspective about my own problems. If you feel you're not a good listener - that's a skill you can develop -- why not make an extra effort to really listen to the next person you have a conversation with?

D
Old 07-15-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your not self centered..your brain goes haywire because of alcohol....and it will all calm down if you stop.....at least you have people to talk to...no one talks to me cause I have always had the same problem...lol
Old 07-15-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Paul,
I hear you!

Yes, was like this when I came off drugs some years ago. I think it was fear. It got progressively better the longer I stayed clean and the more my confidence grew.

I am like this again with alcohol now, I feel totally self-obsessed and stupid in communications. It has crept up on me in the last 2 years. But I do feel confident that it will ease if we stay sober.

Thanks, Misssy2, I liked what you wrote there about the brain going haywire.