Notices

I almost drank a buzzball.....

Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I almost drank a buzzball.....

Hi,

I’m new here... I’ve been on the path to recovery for almost two weeks now, and feel better than I’ve ever have in a long long time! However, I still get extreme cravings and almost gave in today by buying a buzzball. I contemplated for a bit then decided to not drink it and drank some coffee instead. But I really want that drink man! How do you guys deal with cravings? I don’t know if I can do this for much longer, I miss the taste of liquor so very much.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The pain is outweighing the pleasure I'm finding increasingly. The list of things it takes out of life - decent sleep, good food, memory to name a few things - is growing. Till you realise you've got an illness that will inevitibly take everything.

Is it worth it for that ever decreasing buzz? I'm sick and tired.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is just no easy way in the beginning. You have to slog it out if needs be. This is a struggle. Accept it. If it was easy this forum won’t exist.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips and ideas for cravings here tiffpiff -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

support really helps too - post as much as you need to

D
Old 07-13-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on that. My thing is like I treat it like an allergy. Feel me . say you can't eat peanuts cause it will make you have a reaction. So you avoid peanuts . in my case im allergic to booze....then that craze stuff goes away. Or I use the play the tape method. ......keep coming back
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Funny, for me, I never craved the taste, just the drunk.

I find myself eating very flavorful (sometimes spicy) foods fulfills my tast cravings and a full belly kills my drunk cravings.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm generally worried for you...because I know when I quit many times throughout the 6 years that have passed...

I always went back because of these cravings.

No suggestions worked for me...maybe because you are reaching out for suggestions you are really open to them...I never reached out when I had a craving.

I hope you don't drink...

I don't have cravings this time around...and I also make sure I am not too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired (HALT) because those are the areas where I would really be in danger if I had a craving.

Like someone else said...If I EAT something when I have a craving...the craving passes.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lots of good suggestions on that link Dee posted.

What kind of program are you working to get and stay sober? Just doing it alone, white knuckling and by your own will, is generally not enough to keep anyone sober. Not for long.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Buzz ball yuck, coffee is much better, more health benefits. You made the right choice and the more time you have without alcohol the worse it will smell and taste. Many ways to battle cravings and coffee is one. Remember HALT, hungry, angry, lonely, thirsty/tired .
Old 07-13-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, tiffpiff. Discussing my feelings here on SR really helped strengthen me in the early days of getting sober. I hope you'll stay and keep talking.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're supposed to have cravings in early sobriety.

It's normal.

But you should seriously consider pursuing a program of recovery and not just trying to quit drinking on your own.

We want you here with us for a long time.