Notices

Pressure vs. Self Care

Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pressure vs. Self Care

I have tried to get sober many times over the last 6 years....and failed.

This time I feel good about my sobriety lasting....and I was thinking...all the other times...I felt a lot of pressure to run around and prove to everyone..co-workers, family and friends...that I was sober and able to "show up".

I felt many times if I said no to invitations or requests...that people would think that I was drinking.

This time...I realize that SELF CARE is so important....I am getting pressure from a couple of "people" to do things their way...like I OWE it to them because I was a drunk.....

I have a schedule...that includes time to get ready at a slower pace in the morning for the day...eating something small for breakfast...making sure I tape my tv shows...making sure I make the necessary medical appointments....paying my city water bill on time....instead of pushing all my stuff aside feeling like well I better show up for this or that...or they will think I'm drunk....

NO..I better show up for MYSELF...my responsibilties and my HEALTH .
It will take time for people to GET that just because I'm saying NO does not mean I am drunk....it actually means the opposite.....I am getting healthy and taking care of #1....FIRST....ME.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes!! I love this. Happy for you Missy.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In hindsight,most of the perceived pressure I felt was from myself. Sure people wanted me to get my stuff together,but for the most part they were still going on just fine with their own lives as they should.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Missy,
No matter what other think it's my life and I love my life.When loved life will pay back peace and healthy life.
I am self centred at the moment and that helps me to look after myself.
I do whatever it takes but never go back .
Take care
Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thats right !!! Very good message for the day!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love this Misssy, you're so right.
xx
Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Misssy. I don’t have any pressure from others, per se, but I am a chronic procrastinator and realized very recently that self-care for me means that I need to better take care of my business instead of putting things off. I am only on day thirteen and have been on vacation abroad, so I don’t know what my new sober life will look like upon our return tonight. I know about myself that I like to take things slowly and deliberately. I hope to develop a healthy morning routine starting this weekend, to take my own time to develop this routine, and to stick with it. Best of luck to you! I have been reading your posts and am very happy that you are doing so well!
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foggyriver View Post
Hi, Misssy. I don’t have any pressure from others, per se, but I am a chronic procrastinator and realized very recently that self-care for me means that I need to better take care of my business instead of putting things off. I am only on day thirteen and have been on vacation abroad, so I don’t know what my new sober life will look like upon our return tonight. I know about myself that I like to take things slowly and deliberately. I hope to develop a healthy morning routine starting this weekend, to take my own time to develop this routine, and to stick with it. Best of luck to you! I have been reading your posts and am very happy that you are doing so well!
We are very close in sobriety time...I think I have 15 or 16 days right now....I'm also a procrastinator....3 weeks ago I was supposed to call for the additional mammogram on my right breast...Yesterday I said I was going to DO it....and I didn't....lol....TODAY I will DO IT....because of what you helped me identify...yes I put off my "business" too often.

I should go pay my water bill as well today!