Notices

Enjoyable Things

Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enjoyable Things

I hope you don't mind me making two threads so soon after joining, but I thought this might be fun. Someone said they need something to get them through the day, other than alcohol, and I think this must be true. Previous pleasures must come into focus more though?

What's enjoyable to you and totally unrelated to drinking?

My thinking is nice food, and watching films you actually remember the end of.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you're probably allowed to make as many threads as you want if it helps you stay sober.

For me, it's playing video games and actually making progress in the game because I didn't black out while playing it. Or remembering what I did in the game. I finally dipped my toe back into video games after a long hiatus since it was my biggest drinking activity, and I found it really fun to be able to play again.

Also, exercise is a lot more enjoyable when you don't already feel sick. Being able to take in my surroundings and notice things I normally wouldn't while walking outside. Feeling at peace in the fresh air. That's been one of my favorite things since quitting.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a morning person so I like to be outside with a cup of Joe. And enjoy the elements. Nature.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a great topic for a thread!

First and foremost, waking up every morning well rested and with a clear head never ceases to bring me joy. So every time I wake up joy is the first emotion I experience.

Taking good care of my body after abusing it for too many years is another. After my cup of coffee that means taking a nice hot shower and then brushing my teeth. Then later in the day getting my workout in. Putting healthy food inside of my body instead of the late night drunken trips to get drive thru quadruple refried bacon wrapped mayo dipped garbage...with the XXXXL soda and chili cheese French fries. Feeling physically energized and alive for the first time in a long time brings me much joy.

Setting life goals and working towards them as well. When I start a new day I know what I am striving towards as opposed to just sleepwalking through life without a compass. Having direction and a sense of purpose is very enjoyable.

All in all I'd have to say active recovery brings me joy like none other.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree this is great. Some things come to mind

Hiking
Fishing
Camping
Writing

Exercise I’ve always been into but if you can believe it I used to go to the gym buzzed with a few beers. On more than one account I went to yoga drunk at 8 am. Talk about a paradox of activities. I guess that’s me though
Since quitting ive managed to kick my cardio into high and generally not feeling like crap helps, too.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sailing.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walking my dog.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Waking up with a clear head is always good and even more than that, planning activities that I know I'm going to do as I won't waste a good part of the day with a hangover. With the extra free time I have I'm currently doing an online course on cubism.
Nice thread/topic.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feel confident instead of shame. Feeling well enough to workout or do yoga. Knowing I’m 100% sober and a reliable person and employee. Also my skin is looking way better. If someone brings up my past drinking I can honestly look at them and say “yeah well that’s over”
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Always a good topic. The stuff I enjoy has evolved over time.

Realizing that I can choose what to do when and have energy to do it is the best part.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I agree this is great. Some things come to mind

Hiking
Fishing
Camping
Writing
Add gardening in and you've basically described my ideal weekend!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are things you would totally miss or not appreciate drunk nowadays. Spotify basically has all the music ever for a low price or even free. Podcasts are often free on you tube-I liked the recent one of Bob Lazer, who claimed he worked genuine UFOs, and Joe Rogan.

Things I'm thinking about taking up just for fun are painting and drawing and maybe the electronic piano.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I sometimes go on rants and post one post after the other..its all about YOU and staying sober and WHATEVER it takes....

I like to just binge watch tv shows I have on tape.
I like to look after my bird bath and feeders.
I like to eat good food (never ate when I drank).
I like to paint rooms in my house.
I like to help others.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also, I think the fact that you feel so free to do all of these things is amazing. I don’t feel so trapped anymore and I’m actually starting to think about my future instead of settling and feeling stuck.

I really can’t articulate this freedom I feel. Quitting drinking in combo with adjusting my medication and doubling down in therapy has finally created equilibrium and it can only get better. Things that once felt hopeless or impossible seem manageable.

Hope feels really good.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Snuggling with Billie every night. She makes me feel at peace.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a great, optimistic thread! I’m replying just so I can have quick access to a list of things I love, to remind myself yet again why I don’t need to pick up when the wave starts rolling!
I love...
walking or jogging in the woods
quiet time with my berner
painting, sewing
hot coffee
being clear of mind and more emotionally level (it’s not getting old
loving healthy food again (feels like I haven’t touched it in years)
and believe it or not...I’m really enjoying AA meetings this time around (I’ve finally found the right ones for me...I tried years ago and hated it, but they were just the wrong meetings at the wrong time, I guess). I’ve finally given myself permission to just sit, feel safe and relax with like minded people supporting one another.
have an enjoyable day everyone!

ETA: I’m also enjoying that new thing...I think it’s called “hope”
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The best seriers I've ever watched is Deadwood. It is on sky atlantic, which I don't know the equivalent in the US. It has triggers because everyone drank like fish pree twentieght century.

It's ******* depravity mixed with humanity, it's good.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One pastime I would not advise taking, and did advise against, was boxing that my sister just took up. She said she mainly took a course which ended in real fights for fitness. She lost the fights and said it really hurt....well did you think boxing was about tea and biscuits?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
The best seriers I've ever watched is Deadwood. It is on sky atlantic, which I don't know the equivalent in the US. It has triggers because everyone drank like fish pree twentieght century.

It's ******* depravity mixed with humanity, it's good.
Deadwood is one of my all time favorite shows. I've watched in at least a dozen times. Ian McShane as Swearengen is perhaps my favorite character ever. Amazing job.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
One pastime I would not advise taking, and did advise against, was boxing that my sister just took up. She said she mainly took a course which ended in real fights for fitness. She lost the fights and said it really hurt....well did you think boxing was about tea and biscuits?
Then she wasn't training with professionals. It's always said that you should train/spar, be it boxing, jujitsu, whatever, with a person much better than you because they are both good and smart enough to teach you without getting hurt and having their ego triggered.

But I'll also say that I know or have known A LOT of people who train or teach kick boxing and various forms of martial arts and I've never once heard of it ending in a fight. It's as much about respect and discipline as learning how to fight or defend yourself.