Notices

Sleep Trackers

Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep Trackers

Curious if anyone is using a sleep tracker and can give their feedback on the device? I'm only six days in and I knew from past times that my sleeping was going to change. I would like to know what levels of the sleep cycle I'm actually reaching.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Controls,
I use Sleep Cycle which is a free app. It has a feature that allows you to set a “window” alarm which is supposed to wake you in lighter stages of sleep. You get a percentage ranking each morning regarding sleep quality.

I have found it to be fairly accurate as far as my feelings of being rested correlating with a better score. I find it valuable but take the results as generalities. The alarm feature seems to have some benefit if you are able to set your wake up window to at least 30 minutes.

I wish I had some data to compare to my drinking days, as my sleep was horrible. Now sober, I sleep like the dead. It’s a welcome change.
-bora
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Bora!
We are opposite on the sleep. I would sleep like a log or at least I think I did but with not drinking, I toss and turn, wake every hour and end up getting out of bed after about 4 hours.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I wear a FitBit which tracks my sleep, including how much time spent awake, in light sleep, REM sleep, and deep sleep. I think it's fairly accurate, because when I have gotten less sleep, or been more restless than usual according to the device, I can definitely tell. It has helped me figure out a bedtime routine that results in some of the best sleep of my life. For example, going to sleep at roughly the same time every night and getting up at roughly the same time every morning is key for me. I also wish I had something to compare from my drinking days. I'm sure I'd be shocked at how little actual rest I ever got then.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a general fitbit that tracked sleep time, restless time, awake time and maybe some other stuff but not the level of sleep. I remember hitting upper 30's in the restless area when drinking and multiple awake times.

I'll look into the fitbit that may be able to tell me what level of sleep.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I have a fitbit to track my steps, but it tracks sleep too-- time awake, in REM, in light sleep and in deep sleep. I don't know how accurate it is...I think I'm awake a lot more than it registers. One thing I've noticed since getting it, I'm more aware of dreaming.

One thing though...nothing effects a good night's sleep more than obsessing about a good night's sleep.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm the opposite - I think I'm awake a lot less than mine registers. I think it thinks I'm awake every time I roll over. I usually add about half of my "awake" time back onto my sleep total.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just ran out and picked up a fitbit versa so I'll be curious what tonight shows.

Thanks All,
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are opposite on the sleep. I would sleep like a log or at least I think I did but with not drinking, I toss and turn, wake every hour and end up getting out of bed after about 4 hours.
I should have been more clear...it took a period of sobriety before my sleep patterns improved. Things gradually got better, then I started exercising, and I became a sleep champion. I’ll preface that by saying I make sure to do enough daily to be tired at the end of it. If not, my sleep isn’t as satisfying.

While drinking, I too would feel like I slept “well”, but only until about 2am when all hell would break lose. Now, I realize that even my worst night of sleep is more restful than whatever was happening between ::pass out::and ::wake with heart pounding:: back during my drinking days.

Hopefully it will get better for you too!
-bora
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, boreas. I have nights when I don't sleep well sometimes even now. Sometimes there's a loud storm, one of the animals in the house is acting crazy, I have a lot on my mind, etc. BUT even if I only get say, 5-6 hours of sleep, I'm still feeling SO much better than I would have hungover. I can get through a tired day WAY better than a tired AND hungover day. No comparison!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Like Boras I use Sleep Cycle app and love it. When I first got it years ago I tested it after being sober all day vs my usual bottle and then some of red wine. Sober I moved around and had a normal up and down pattern, drunk I had a flat line, no movement or healthy pattern whatsoever. Was quite enlightening.

If you get up once the app learns your rhythm at the time it decides you feel so much better even if it’s 30 mins earlier than planned. I have found it to be a great tool xx
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
I just ran out and picked up a fitbit versa so I'll be curious what tonight shows.

Thanks All,
If your up for an experiment, get the Sleep Cycle app and run it as well as your fit bit and compare the evaluations. I’d be curious if they were similar.
-bora
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That’s the big myth about alcohol. It certainly doesn’t help with sleep, far from it,

I have a Fitbit and love it for comparing exercise, sleep, etc

I’m quite athletic and my resting heart rate according to FitBit is around 46 to 51, but when I drank (have now quit, sober 6 months), the resting heart rate shot up to 58 or so ☹️
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Cripes! My resting heart rate while drinking spiked between 95-120bpm! At a year sober I am around 70bpm consistently. xx
Old 07-10-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I’m sure my heart rate was high when drinking too 😀 The figures I gave were resting/sleeping.

Well done on a year sober. Your heart says thanks too.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll look into the Sleep Cycle App.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I guess base line on day 6.
10 mg Melatonin.
Time a sleep: 4 hr. 13 min.
REM: 5 Min.
Light: 3 Hr. 16 Min.
Deep: 52 Min.
Awake: 22x 1Hr. 1 Min.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been wearing mine for 2 days...and I read a lot about these things.

Brain waves really measure our sleep and the only thing the fitbit is measuring is our movement....and heart rate....I think by using the heart rate it is somewhat accurate because your heart slows when asleep.

I figure even if it is not accurate...it is some sort of consistent snap shot of what my body is doing on a nightly basis and I will keep using it to see how the graphs look for a period of time.

And I do agree that what the graphs say so far correlate with how refreshed or not refreshed I feel.

A person needs at least 1.5 to 2.0 hours of deep sleep a night...The day before yesterday I got 2 hours...and 18 minutes and I felt great yesterday.

Today I know I had an awful nights sleep cause I was there....lol....and it registered I only had 18 minutes of deep sleep...lots of wakings and mostly light sleep...and I feel not so refreshed today.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I might be addicted to my Fitbit. I started using one a long time ago, before I stopped drinking. My sleep records are interesting to look at (to me, lol). I also track my REM, deep sleep, light sleep, and time awake. It calculates my resting heart rate in part based on my sleep information. My RHR dropped 15 beats gradually after quitting drinking, and sleep definitely improved. I do take melatonin tho like someone else here posted. It all intersects - how much we move, how our hearts work, how much sleep we get, the quality of that sleep, how much we eat, the quality of how much we eat, how hydrated we are, etc. I just add in what I eat and how much water I drink and the thing tabulates it all. I am pretty on top of it and it’s reaped results.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've installed the Sleep Cycle App this morning on my iPhone and assuming I run this app correctly tonight and I don't drink [Drinking isn't in the plans], we should be able to compare the fitbit to Sleep Cycle App in the morning.

I'm with Missy2, if it's inaccurate that's okay as long as it's consistently inaccurate.