Notices

Sleep Trackers

Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
I've installed the Sleep Cycle App this morning on my iPhone and assuming I run this app correctly tonight and I don't drink [Drinking isn't in the plans], we should be able to compare the fitbit to Sleep Cycle App in the morning.

I'm with Missy2, if it's inaccurate that's okay as long as it's consistently inaccurate.
Well, I hope you don't drink...I'm very analytical as I always worked in a high tech pharmaceutical and biotech industry. (includes research and validation that medicine works and does what it is intented to do) .and I KNOW the brain is the only way to tell how we sleep...So I had to research my Fitbit accuracy and how it is possible for it to be accurate on my WRIST.

BUT...like you said...consistently inaccurate...at least it is some data...and as I said..it is seemingly somewhat accurate based on how I feel today vs. how I felt yesterday when it said I had better sleep....

Let us know how the iphone thing works out....I'm trying to figure out how THAT would work what do you sleep with your phone on your body? JOKING.....
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sleep cycle works solely from the microphone on your device. It generates a graph which shows movement through stages...awake, sleep, and deep sleep. In the am it gives you time in bed rather than time asleep, and a “quality” rating expressed as a percentage. Basically it seems that the closer you get to the graph for healthy sleep, (4-5 deep to light sleep cycles), that higher your percentage. It will also tell you if you snore and for how long. Upgrading gives you additional features but I’m cheap.

Controls, keep at it. I know lack of sleep is obnoxiously frustrating but most see improvement over time. I hope the validation of “yeah, I am sleeping like crap” was helpful. Sleep, like so many things in sobriety, is a work in progress and well worth the effort.

As an aside, I supplement with magnesium which seemed to help. Not medical advice...I take a multi and mag daily as I know it’s not as prevalent in the food supply now as in the past.

Thanks for sharing your results...I had no idea fitbit provided all that detail.
-bora
Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Same here with the Magnesium Boreas!! I add it to my bath water each night before bed and it has really helped me too. I also paid for the upgrade on Sleep Cycle and it records the noises I make in my sleep which is interesting lol. I find when I have a restless night that I am talking a lot but 99% of it is jibberish and like I am speaking a foreign language lol. I use the app on the phone but it is linked to my Apple Watch too so it records my heart rate aswell. It used it for a month at first and added stuff I had experienced each day (ate late, ate high fat food, missed breakfast, stressful day etc). At the end of a month I sat down and compared it with my journal each day and I started to see some real trends between bad habits I had, certain types of emotions and feelings I was having, exercise and food choices and the type of sleep I was getting.

I got lazy and stopped using it, but this thread has actually inspired me to give it another go as I did feel much better when I was using it. xx
Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have Natural Calm Magnesium plus or vitamins on my microwave from my attempt last year.

Thanks for telling me to go look boreas and MantaLady.
And I'm not worried about sleep, I'm just happy to be going to bed sober.

I created this sleep pattern over the years and know it doesn't get fixed over night.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For those play along at home...I don't have enough post to create an album to share pictures on the two sleep trackers. Fitbit and Sleep Cycle
If you would like to see them, send me an PM with an email and I'll share.

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Were the results at all similar?
-bora
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

They appear to be closer then not, if that makes sense. Fitbit list four stage/levels of sleep and Sleep Cycle shows three so there is some interpretation.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Edit: Sleep Cycle needs five night of sleep to calibrate to me for a sleep quality number so the info may change.