SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Checking in and a couple things that have helped me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/440102-checking-couple-things-have-helped-me.html)

fintime 07-08-2019 02:59 PM

Checking in and a couple things that have helped me

Hello all. I haven't posted in a while but I check in daily. Especially the readings post under the 12 step forum. I have made that a daily routine every morning as part of the changes I have made.
I am close to 5 months and wanted to document a couple of things that have helped me.
I have been keeping a daily routine of getting up at 6am and reading the daily reflection, etc. along with exercise of some sort no matter where I am. I have been working out but if I am out of town I at least go on a walk or bike ride or something. I have found that being diligent with that has helped start my day off positively.
I went to a 6 week out patient program when I started that helped. I go to AA on Friday nights when I am in town and I went through the back to the basics program. I think the AA program lays out a way of life that I want to live. I know its not for everyone and I focus on the parts that work for me but not everything. Mainly, I want to be sober and be a better person so I can be happy with me. I feel like that way I might be a positive presence in other lives, specifically my children. I want to be a good influence on them and I certainly was not before.

Some days stink and I still think about alcohol but I have to tell myself that drinking is off the table. I have no idea what I am doing half the time and don't know how to act in a lot of situations. I guess because I have lived most of my life drunk. I just have faith that others know what they are talking about when they say things get better. And I know things really sucked when I was drinking all day, everyday.

My health is better and life is calmer and I just don't want to go back to where I was. It's very helpful for me to think about how it really doesn't take that long, in the grand scheme of things, to make changes. It also wouldn't take me long to get right back to where I was either and I have to remind myself of that. I was in a really bad place just 5 months ago and had been for a long time.

Not sure why I am posting other than I get a lot from the site and I feel like I should try to give back. I have found that you never know what might help someone else.

Peace to all and I can't express how helpful you all are.

least 07-08-2019 03:10 PM

Thanks for checking in. :) Congrats on approaching 5 months sober! :scoregood

snitch 07-08-2019 03:14 PM

I love your post! Very inspiring. Congrats on your 5 months !!!

Ghostlight1 07-08-2019 03:15 PM

Wow, it sounds like you're doing great. Your post had a Zen like feel to me. A man becoming at peace with himself. His priorities in order and taking action to improve his life.
Very impressive. Congratulations on your sober time, and I get the feeling you'll have many more of them.
Best to you.

Dee74 07-08-2019 03:45 PM

Congrats on your progress fintime - great stuff :)

D

Tailai 07-08-2019 04:17 PM

Looking forward for you, just thought I’d say that 7 & 8 months were tricky for me. Relapsed twice @ that point in the last 3+ years. Currently approaching one year & the daily morning exercise routine you talk about has been, like you, absolutely critical to my continued recovery. Other than several meetings 15 years ago I haven’t done AA but this site has given me a connection I didn’t know existed. That may be the difference this time. Practicing daily gratitude & positive thinking. Thanks for your post as it resonates with me.

Newbeginning421 07-08-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tailai (Post 7223000)
Looking forward for you, just thought I’d say that 7 & 8 months were tricky for me. Relapsed twice @ that point in the last 3+ years. Currently approaching one year & the daily morning exercise routine you talk about has been, like you, absolutely critical to my continued recovery. Other than several meetings 15 years ago I haven’t done AA but this site has given me a connection I didn’t know existed. That may be the difference this time. Practicing daily gratitude & positive thinking. Thanks for your post as it resonates with me.

Curious as to why months 7 and 8 were tricky for you? Did you become less vigilant about your sobriety?

Tailai 07-08-2019 08:40 PM

It was before I really got active on this site. Even though I was in weekly therapy & told it was very, very
unlikely, I thought I could moderate & be able to drink again. I really disliked my therapist & him being the messenger I just didn’t adhere to his treatment & counsel. I connected with the SR members & finally realized I could never drink again. Also stopped seeing the psychiatrist & have been under my regular doctor’s care for the alcoholism & bipolar disorder. He’s been my doctor for 34 years & is a brilliant man. I’m adhering to his treatment. I trust him.