Notices

The blahs

Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The blahs

Day 42. I know it takes awhile for the brain to heal and for dopamine to return to normal, but this feeling of blah with no enthusiasm for much of anything is disconcerting. I don't feel particularly bad, I just don’t feel much of anything and I’m not accustomed to that. It does get better, right? Cuz the thought of living like this is not particularly appealing (and no, I’m definitely not suicidal, just concerned).
Old 07-07-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never made it that long but from everything I read it does get better. Quite a bit better from what I understand. Other outside issues aside.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there brother it does get better by Monday 64 and I can't see the alternative you know what that is you really want to go through that again cuz you're going to try a different method and get the same result I promise you iwndwyt
Old 07-07-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was still going crazy well into 3 months. I learned that it is all about the number of relapses etc as to how long it takes for the natural dopamine to return.

Something that I decided was I didn't really get well as much as I got used to how I felt. That is why it took such a long long long time to feel good.

I had moments, starting with day 1, where I had complete contentment and peace. I was optimistic this would continue to lengthen. It has.

I had way more energy than i thought. I learned this by working out. The work out showed me my physical progress and gave me adrenaline etc. The natural high is what has kept me clean this long.

I don't do any prescription meds, but I do like a bit of caffeine and other otc stimulants.

Otherwise, I get high on good healthy food, junk food, sugar etc.

I will crave the buzz for the rest of my life. I took booze too far and now I am educated on the damage I did to myself with it.

I made a lifestyle change that includes fitness instead of drugs.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just bought L Glutamine supplement on Amazon to increase my energy levels as I aim to get rid of this alcohol habit. Read somewhere that alcohol reduces the sensitivity of the dopamine receptors thereby creating the 'blah' / 'meh' effect. The longer/more intense the abuse the longer it takes for these things to come back to normalcy. Guess we have to find ways to get natural highs (exercise/meditation/physical intimacy/gratitude/small achievements) etc.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pajarito

I seriously underestimated the time with would take my body and mind to heal.

for me the blahs dissipated about 3 months - I recommend you keep active and occupied tho, as much as possible - it helps

I didn't take any supplement - I believe the only real 'cure' is time.

hang in there - it gets better

D
Old 07-07-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was about 3 months for me, too, before things started to feel better in my life. Just stay focused and sober and things will get better.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pajarito...today marks 60 days sober for me...honestly this is the longest I ever had in my life!...However, I feel the same as you...not happy, not sad...just coasting through the last couple days...I’m struggling to find something to make me happy...In all I can definitely relate to how you feel...but even though I feel like “blah”...the alternative to me getting that false excitement from drinking honestly scares me...this blah feeling is better for me than pain, shame and failures that alcohol brings me...be strong...this should get better!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all your replies. I have no intention of going backward. I am going forward no matter what.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What you are feeling is life.

You can make it whatever you want. Alcohol is a magic trick, zapping your brain to make it feel "ok".

But if you take it away, there life is.

So part of blahs might be recovery on a physical level...but I think there is more. A deeper thing we gotta face. Whatever we were hiding from in the first place.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At around 3 months sober I was not 'feeling it' and it was suggested that I start practicing gratitude every day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Being grateful changed my whole life. Made me happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0