Notices

Ketogenic diet was a game changer for me.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I would think keto would be very bad for an alcoholic with a fatty liver. Most of the calories are supposed to come from fats...up to 75%. Not sure I am OK with that.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happiness is a trigger for me.

I have noticed, more often than not, that when I feel truly truly joyful (its summer, I'm sober, I feel ah-mazing in my skin, I'm well rested, fed, watered) that is a danger zone for me.

I need to write than again,

JOY IS A TRIGGER FOR ME.

As someone who spent 2 years locked in her house (agorophobia) and the majority of my lifetime under my narcissistic mothers control, I searched high and low to find some sort of peace while walking on this little blue dot in space.

And I have noticed, that the far and few times in my life where I actually DID feel at peace and joyful (not at the bottom of the bottles) that I ultimately sabotage that joy through getting drunk.
I was unused to feeling happy - and more than that I didn't trust it...so a bunch of times I went back to the more familiar feeling of being wasted.

Happiness to me was the unknown - I was scared of it and who I'd 'have to be' in such a scenario.

Perpetual Happiness seemed like an immense responsibility.

I got used to being happy eventually of course - and once I did I remembered it as a feeling I used to have quite often before the booze and drugs took hold.

It was just another AV trick to keep me drinking.
We grow we change - and the triggers we had once are no longer triggers

D
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Yes, Bim. You are so right. EVERYthing was a reason to drink.

And if I *didnt* have a reason to that day ? You darn well better believe I was going to FIND one... Celebrations, stress, work, kids, mother, husband, the milk is spoiled, the dog wants to be fed, I have mountain of laundry.

I guess I never realized just how much I found "fault" with lifes processes, just so I could make excuses to drink.

Is life that hard ? Or am I opting for it to be in order to feed the beast ?

And when you slay the beast, do we begin to move through time/space less encumbered, strictly by a choice that results in an entire perception overhaul?

Like - was I making life harder in my head because then I could "poor me" and justify my drinking ?

Dont get me wrong, those that know me here, know I have a laundry list of excuses. But, essentially, dont we all ?

And even if we dont (like my husband, who has had a preeeeety sweet life as far as life traumas , etc are concerned) do we seek to find meaning and purpose by stoning ourselves into oblivion ?

You are right Dee. Happiness is a strange bedfellow for me right now. And I'm almost treading lightly for fear that it might get somehow taken away. I dont know how to move through my life happily. It feels odd and it scares me a little.

Back to the diet...

Studies are finding that what is causing the NAFL epidemic (non alcoholic fatty liver) is sugar and carbs. I have 2 friends both with it, neither of whom drink at all. Weirdly, Keto has fixed one of their numbers. It seems counterintuitive, however, its proving to help that as well.

I do still supplement with things I know I'm not getting a bunch of (vit C is really the only one I can think of ?)

A few years ago I was on a WOE that included (and I'm not exaggerating here)10-12 cups of vegetables a day. TEN TO TWELVE. I ate vegetables ALL DAY LONG, and I felt awful. AWFUL.

Turns out those nutritious lil buggers also contain phytotoxins and oxalates, and those two seemingly innocuous things can wreak havoc on the human body.

I'm going to get my bloodwork done this week, so we will see if the proof is in the stevia sweetened chia seed pudding

Ill share the results here when I get the comparison.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I have never done the Keto diet, but I know a lot of people who have had remarkable weight loss with it.

I just pretty much count calories and stay trim.

I will give myself a leeway of no more than 10-15 lbs and then redirect my focus if I catch myself eating too much.

My wife has lost 35 lbs. this year and I'm very proud of her.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Studies are finding that what is causing the NAFL epidemic (non alcoholic fatty liver) is sugar and carbs. I have 2 friends both with it, neither of whom drink at all. Weirdly, Keto has fixed one of their numbers. It seems counterintuitive, however, its proving to help that as well.
I’ve enjoyed delving into the research on this subject. I mentioned Dr. Lustig’s work earlier in the thread, and that school of thought is that sugar and carbs from processed foods may be the culprit. Specifically, fructose from HFCS or as a component of table sugar is processed in the liver in a similar way as alcohol, hence the NAFL problems currently seen. Added sugars are typically a part even of savory processed food products.

His recommendation is a diet of real food. Basically, stay away from processed, pre-packaged food/foods with added sugar as much as possible. Current popular diets accomplish this in various ways which makes it an interesting point in time...there is something for everyone and versions of each diet which emphasize minimally processed foods.

I personally have no problem with carbs, and see the carbs in a donut or piece of bread as different from those in a baked potato or cup of rice. I’m tickled to see the cultural shift to more people seeing food as medicine and realizing that lifestyle changes can be as important as the pharmacy in dealing with some health issues.
-bora
Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

New studies confirm "fructose" even in FRUIT (sadface) contributes immensely to cancer cell growth.

No more OJ for this old lady...
Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The studies I’ve seen referenced make a distinction between whole fruit vs. fruit juice. The school of thought seems to be that the fiber present in whole fruit affects digestion and how it is processed in the body. So I won’t be drinking OJ either, but I love a mandarin orange!

But yes, fruit juice, even with “no added sugar”, is believed by many to be contributing to the problems we’re seeing. So sad, since it is sooooo delicious. I love whole fruit as well, but have to watch it since some (I’m looking at you grapes and cherries!) are relatively high in calories. Sigh.

-bora
Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

The benefits of sobriety combined with a Ketogenic lifestyle is like the gift that keeps on giving...

Every summer, for the last 4, I have gotten a summer cold. Last years was so bad I though I was going to die. My oxygen had dropped to 87 and I was on 2 antibiotics, steroids, 2 types of inhalers, and had to go to the urgent care 3 times for nebulizer treatments.

I was IN BED for 10 days.

Not being able to breathe was honestly one of the most frightening things I had ever experienced (and I have been through some doozies this lifetime).

Last week, my daughter got ill with what turned out to be a virus. But it knocked her flat for days.

I was nursing her back to health and lo and behold, I got the same thing.

I was fully prepared to be in bed for at least a week, and I was cancelling plans for this weekend.

The first day, I felt pretty miserable. I worked and came home and slept on and off for 15 hours.
Yesterday, I was able to work all day, came home and rested a bit. Fasted for 15 hours.

This morning, I'm almost back to 100 percent.

This continues to shock me on the daily.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I’ve been enjoying this thread; it’s very motivating. I started keto last weekend, after going back and forth on the idea for a while. So far it hasn’t been difficult because I never tire of salad, omelettes, and avocados. Yesterday I did have a weird donut craving, which is funny because I don’t even like donuts, but I drank a sparkling water and went for a walk and was fine. Funny how I can handle sugar cravings the exact same way I handle alcohol cravings. Anyway, I’m liking it so far.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yesterday we celebrated our yearly family tradition of going to the racetrack and out to dinner. In years past, the track was an "all you can eat/drink free for all" where I checked my hard and fast sobriety rules and dietary limitations at the door because how would that be any fun if I wasnt bombed and stuffed full of crap food ?

This time I drank San Pel and ate a freaking SCARY grey looking hot dog without a bun (I had fasted all day and the heat was getting to me).

Dinner came around and everyone was drinking still. Didnt even phase me. I couldnt be bothered.

I know that my non-drinking really grinds some peoples gears.
And my not eating carbs does too.

I don't know why really. Its not like I'm sitting on my throne of ketones, judging people for their choices. That would make me the worlds biggest hypocrite. I'm a damn alocoholic for Gods sakes ! Who am I to judge ???

My poor FIL almost had a coronary when I took a pat of butter, put a little parm and salt on it, and slowly picked at it with my fork....

Nevermind that they essentially did the exact same thing, but with bread under it...

This new found "self control" is bizarre and shocking to ME, every single day I am able to continue it. I can only imagine how it makes others feel, as the carb/sugar addiction that is relatively "permitted in society" permeates the dinner table.

Slamming wine like its my job isnt quite as acceptable

But throw back several baskets of bread, combined with giant plates of pasta, and huge deserts so you can keep the dopamine squirts flowing ? Yeah, that s just fine...

I swear I cant even take credit for it. It's as if my brain has been hijacked to only consume things that will nourish and heal my body.

I'm reading a book called "Anyway You Can" by Dr. Annette Bosworth. She helped her mom survive a cancer diagnosis with a Ketogenic diet. It's a beginners guide to ketones for life. If you are interested, grab a copy. Its easy to follow and in laymans terms.

There is even an excerpt about an alcoholic man who came to her asking her for help on how to stop drinking. 100 lbs overweight and on 4 different blood pressure meds, he was desperate to stop. He had been to rehab several times. And was suicidal and severely depressed.

She asked him to give her 4 WEEKS on the keto diet, and if he didnt feel markedly better after month, he could go right back to his current way of life.

A month later, he had lost many pounds and all of a sudden felt in control of his existence for the first time ever in his life. Nine months later, he had chosen to stay sober, for good.

This really is a game changer my friends...
Old 07-20-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Preach, girl.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

How do you do the Keto diet and stick to it?

For me, once I go a day without carbs, I am irritable and my cravings mimic those that I felt with alcohol. It was HARD to stop drinking; I now I realize that i have issues with food and 'comfort-eating' and bingeing. I want help with this, yet the thought of restricting foods that provide me with comfort is horrifying. Can anyone with success on the Keyo diet kindly advise how you were able to commit to to this lifestyle change, and how you were able to get started?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

You have to teach your body to become fat-adapted. The first week / weeks can be hard, but after that, I find it very easy to follow a keto style of eating.
It isn't food restriction, you just eat low carb whole foods. My favorite meal is steak with a side of broccoli drenched in Irish butter. I eat to satiety. I also have eggs and bacon most mornings. It isn't a diet--more a lifestyle change.

There are so many places you can look for info--I suggest Two Keto Dudes Podcasts and Forum as they are very science-based and give accurate research info. Just start with the first podcasts and go to the forum which has a newcomer's section with lots of info about actual food, transition stories, etc.

I'm with Alpha on this--keto has been a life-changer for me too.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi KTB - I did it gradually. I never thought I would happily pass up fries and pasta, but now it doesnt even trigger cravings in me. In the beginning, I baked ALOT. Somedays when I am feeling like I might want a drink, I bake Keto recipes and allow myself a few treats. Then, as you gradually become more and more fat adapted like Hawkeye said, you find your cravings and comfort foods make a shift towards protein and fat.

I know, It sounds so crazy, but if you just make a few changes, in no time, you'll be riding the fat loss wave !

Hawkeye, I was thinking last night how awesome it would be to start a "Keto Slow Fast Food" chain !! Can you even imagine ??? I'm so very passionate about this I might start looking for investors !!

Jicama fries, and brisket and Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, and burgers with cloud bread buns, and pecan pie, and kale chips and and and ......
Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Alpha, the world definitely needs a keto fast food chain. Starting in Houston! That would be so amazing.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Alpha, the world definitely needs a keto fast food chain. Starting in Houston! That would be so amazing.
HAHA !! Right ??? Oh my goodness, it would be amazeballs !!!

I've heard about a restaurant in San Antonio that supposedly makes jicama fries and Burgers (with buns !) that people are flipping out over.

Blaze Pizza just launched a keto pizza crust that I gotta tell you, did NOT suck !!

KCKO ! (Keep Calm Keto On)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Omg, I just googled Blaze Pizza and they have locations in Houston! I need some keto pizza in my life. Definitely interested in jicama fries too. Might have to find a recipe.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Ohhh my goodness am I ever excited !!!

Still no booze, still no xanax, still no cigs (the latters typically follow the former) AND - I'm back down to my post-hysterectomy weight from 5 years ago (they took out a football sized fibroid that weighed a full term baby!)

I can not believe this.

KCKO !!!

XO AO
Old 10-18-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Alpha my old mate

Hawk ( thankyou ) directed me to this thread as we were talking about keto in Mags weekenders.

I have read this whole thread and could hardly wait to get to the end . You are so AWESOME & i think this maybe the right thing for me.

I am totally addicted to sugar and just need to STOP but i dont know how. The cravings are just so bad and i dont want to risk alcohol.

For me its always been one or the other.

If im on alcohol i wont eat chocolate , if i dont eat chocolateim on alcohol.

Im almost one year sober and feeling safe to give it a go.

How do i get started safely ?

Sending you the biggest hugs and much love

Snoozy xxxx

X
Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

The diet is amazing, but be warned, carb withdrawal is no joke. It is minimized and called the 'Keto flu', but it hit me like a ton of bricks. It probably affects everybody different, but it sent me into a deep depression for a day or two. It reminded me of alcohol withdrawal, but not quite as severe.

I read somewhere recently that sugars and carbs act on our brain very similar to addictive drugs, so I believe its real.

Overall, it's worth it after getting through the rough patch. I've been Keto for 3 months, lost 30 pounds and now I'm transitioning to more of a pure carnivore diet.

The good news is, you can still have chocolate, you just have to make it yourself starting with unsweetened baking chocolate and sweeten it yourself with one of the recommended artificial sweeteners.

SC