Notices

Ketogenic diet was a game changer for me.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

XOXO

Welcome back my friend.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
XOXO

Welcome back my friend.
************************************************** **********{SILENTRUN****************************** ************************************

and

************************************************** ********{DEE************************************** ************************************************** **

So very very VERY proud of you both and so very very VERY grateful for you...

XO AO
Old 07-10-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks AO

D
Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

This is really LOVELY to read! I can feel your passion! I want to try keto, thanks for sharing this incredible journey of yours!!
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Update: it’s been three days and I’ve stuck to under 30 grams a day. I took your advice and popped antioxidants and that hangover feeling did go away. The antioxidants I had were loaded with sugar (emergenC) so I took multivitamins that have antioxidants and another vitamin pill that has potassium and magnesium. It will get easier when the fam isn’t visiting I think. So far so good tho.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
This is really LOVELY to read! I can feel your passion! I want to try keto, thanks for sharing this incredible journey of yours!!
Thank you for YOUR kind words ! I can feel the love behind them !

XO AO
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Studies are finding that Ketogenic diet is helping veterans with....PTSD ???!!!???

I follow Dr. Ken Berry on Facebook. The man is a literal pioneer in this grassroots way of eating. He does a FB live every Monday night, in his home, with his wife who is a nurse, by his side.

He's a no holds barred, tell it like it is, kind and gentle man, firm in his knowledge, education and proof of the healing powers of this. He doesn't sell ANYTHING. He believes its his duty and life mission to get the word out to as many people as he can about the healing and profound changes we can all feel as a result of Keto. I would encourage anyone interested in this to check him out.

More days have passed, still no booze. Still no Xanax. Everyday that I get to own that statement, absolutely gob smacks me.

I just cant believe this.

Surely to God it cant be this easy right ? I mean, I have quit no less than a 1000 times (prolly more like *5000* considering I would *fake quit" after every subsequent hangover)

I'm remaining vigilant and cautious. As this isn't my first rodeo.

But I sure would be grateful, if it wound up being my last...

Bexxed, the first week of the switchover from being a carb burner to a fat burner, you are losing a ton of electrolytes. A lot of us use Nusalt to replace potassium, and supplement also with Mag and Salt.

Salt is very very important. SO much so that in a pinch, I will drink pickle juice (don't judge me) lol.

Cooking is still a Danger Zone for me.

And I cook ALOT on this WOE.

But its just a matter of redirecting my focus and understanding that "just one glass of wine" (yeah, right) leads to 2 bottles.

Its also very bizarre how I don't feel deprived ? As in, the wine is still a WANT, but I just push it off as a passing thought.
And refocus on the myriad of health benefits I am reaping.

I sleep like a baby (since that's most likely the last time I took any sober breaths while slumbering) I wake up rip roaring ready to take the day on. I feel a thousand times better on the wrong side of 40 that I EVER did, in my 20's or 30's.

And believe me when I say, no one is more shocked than I am.

XO AO
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Since I started my new way of eating I definitely feel more energetic. Didn't really expect that. I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm, AO!

And now I understand why I felt kind of shaky the first few days. Almost like fainting a couple of times. But it passed.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Oh my goodness - a "STICK" of butter ????

Honestly it was easier at that party then in my kitchen alone with kale chips and Bocelli...
She specifically said 1 stick of butter to "rapid start the ketogenic process" ....plus her Keto pills, for the low price of $49.96 a month. LOL.

I love broccoli haha. Every night for dinner I eat pan cooked chicken, steamed broccoli, boiled carrots, and SOMETIMES I treat myself to some rice. I just add hot sauce to everything....I love hot sauce. Makes everything great.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Since I started my new way of eating I definitely feel more energetic. Didn't really expect that. I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm, AO!

And now I understand why I felt kind of shaky the first few days. Almost like fainting a couple of times. But it passed.
Yes ! Me too ! I had carb withdrawal something fierce. I'm sure augmented with the constant reintroduction of sugar from wine.

This way of life is a process. And I tried not to go ALL IN as I do typically with everything I do lol - you know, go big, go home.

I went slow and easy. Eliminating things as I went along. As time passes, its just seems to get easier and easier.

Cravings for various things just seem to slide away...

This morning I tried 1 teaspoon of MCT oil in my coffee. My blood ketones were the highest they had ever been after that - 2.8 !

And ketones = euphoria because the brain LOVE LOVE LOVES running on fat and ketones.

What a wild ride
Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I might have to look into MCT oil. I could use a little euphoria. But my mood has been overall better since I started doing this. I do not think I am in ketosis. But I guess I might be. Not really sure, and I don't really care that much. My boyfriend is doing a pretty strict keto diet and has been for quite some time. He says his mood is the same as always (he's pretty grumpy most of the time LOL). He has lost a bunch of weight though. And he got blood work done last week for the first time in a very long time and it was all pretty much perfect. At 51, that's pretty good.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Be careful with studies that say keto is good for PTSD. Like every study, they go from one extreme to the other without taking various factors into consideration.

Is it truly the keto diet? Or is it really because they're actually being healthy instead of eating a diet full of processed foods and a ton of sugar? Personally, I don't think hardcore keto has been around long enough, nor enough studies done, to be sure that buttloads of fat is ok for your liver and heart in the long term. It doesn't seem sustainable to me. I'd put money on it that eating some whole grains like quinoa or some legumes to your diet wouldn't effect your weight loss one bit, but would make you healthier internally.

Alcoholics on keto may want to consult their Drs. With fatty alcoholic liver disease, one of the first things my Dr told me was to limit fatty meats and stick to lean protein because it just isn't good for the liver. Of course I still eat my bbq and a ribeye lol....but still, be careful with something that is still a considerable unknown. And FYI, yes...I've done keto and studied it for a good year or more because I reached the same conclusion most Drs have.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I agree with you Abgator on the whole “don’t eat fat by the buttloads“. Lol.

The formula I follow is carbs are a limit, protein is a goal and fat is a lever.
I don’t subscribe to the philosophy that fat is unlimited. It’s just to satiety.

As someone who has suffered from C-PTSD, Agorophobia, depression, general anxiety disorder, amongst other things, I can say from my experience in decades of therapy, various meds, and trying to self medicated for decades, this is the absolute best I have ever felt, for the longest I’ve felt it, ever.

This way of eating is not “new.”

Mankind has been essentially doing it for several hundred millennia.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

For me, quitting the drink had to be part of a larger lifestyle overhaul. My pattern of drinking was so entrenched as part of my life, and the fundamentals of my life (work home, DS) weren’t going to change, so something was needed to shift things and start to form those new neural pathways.

I don’t do keto, but a healthy diet and exercise are a huge part of my new life. I think keto is beneficial as it helps jump start a major life change and is obviously an interesting experience. It’s just my own opinion, but it seems the people who struggle the most are those that just try to subtract alcohol and leave everything else the same. If drinking is a well-worn wagon road in my brain, it is now grown up with weeds and a few saplings. There’s a new path I’m on that gets more developed each day.

I think it’s great you see so much benefit from keto. It will be interesting to see what ongoing research shows. I hope there is funding for that research, since a keto diet has the potential of fewer side effects than common pharmaceuticals prescribed for the conditions you mentioned.
-bora
Old 07-12-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Absolutely, omega. Eliminating sugar and processed foods has me feeling far better than I ever did while eating them. I still splurge on occasion, but I'm back down to my normal weight of 175 (while still eating tons of potatoes, beans, and little whole grain bread) and not sluggish after eating thanks to eliminating that junk.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Have really enjoyed reading this thread! I have done both paleo and keto diets, but it was not consciously part of my sobriety at first. After a while, I did notice a connection between less alcohol and sugar cravings and both of these diets. I had a health crisis and cancer scare a few years ago, and at midlife and pre-menopausal, my doctor had said that no matter what diet I follow, I should limit or avoid the big three: alcohol, carbs including processed sugar, red meat. So I sort of do my own thing now. I had a hard time with avoiding dairy on paleo and a hard time avoiding fruit on keto. I have a hard time with not having any grains on either diet. I guess I tend to follow more of a Mediterranean diet now, with protein being mostly from plant based or fish sources, and mostly avoid processed sugar and carbs (though I occasionally allow myself a small treat, just no alcohol). I do find that when I rarely eat something with sugar, I have increased cravings, become irritable, have even felt sort of hungover the morning after a dessert with a dinner out.
I love how I feel. No cravings. More energy, more emotionally balanced, definitely look better and less weight around the middle. Less hot flashes too!
There are so many good books and websites with healthy recipes for any of these diets. I have made zucchini pasta, cashew cheese and cashew cream, date and walnut bars, pecan butter, and so many other yummy recipes.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happiness is a trigger for me.

I have noticed, more often than not, that when I feel truly truly joyful (its summer, I'm sober, I feel ah-mazing in my skin, I'm well rested, fed, watered) that is a danger zone for me.

I need to write than again,

JOY IS A TRIGGER FOR ME.

As someone who spent 2 years locked in her house (agorophobia) and the majority of my lifetime under my narcissistic mothers control, I searched high and low to find some sort of peace while walking on this little blue dot in space.

And I have noticed, that the far and few times in my life where I actually DID feel at peace and joyful (not at the bottom of the bottles) that I ultimately sabotage that joy through getting drunk.

Its almost as if my psychology and physiology feels like 1. you can augment your joy with booze and B. if you arent solving some sort of problem, you arent really living.

Joy is a danger zone for me.
Along with cooking.
Cooking is a creative process for me that brings me joy, and joy is a slippery slope.

Isn't that curious ?

If you asked me, while I was sauced, what I wanted more than anything, my immediate response would be "I JUST WANT TO BE HAPPY !!!"

Yet, here I am, honestly happier than I have ever, ever been, and I know that I have to be on high alert from the AV. Which I know as soon as I drink, will be nice and satisfied.

.....for exactly about 3 minutes.

I used to think I drank to find some sort of peace in a world gone mad.

Now I have to reevaluate my entire perception on what I thought my whole life goal was...

XO AO
Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It's sounds mad and like you'd get scurvy, but lot's of people are reporting success. We didn't eat bread or pasta for hundreds of thousands of years I think, correct me if I'm wrong. I can well imagine cave men living for days on a single pig.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I have been there, alpha! Happiness, joy, cooking, a celebratory mood were all triggers for me for a long time! I haven’t felt that way in a long time now, which I attribute to sustained sobriety (about 2-1/2 years now) but it will always be in my blood (especially the celebratory happy feeling after an accomplishment - that could really creep up on me if I’m not careful and alert)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Anything was a reason to drink for me.

I had tied every and all emotions and activities to, "This would be better/easier/more fun/less stressful if I had a drink."

OF COURSE I have those pathways laid down in my brain. It was the go-to. It was the jump-ahead thought. Thoughts in general slow way down in long-term sobriety and are more easily managed and controlled.

Like Fearless said above, the conditioned responses go away in time.

T.I.M.E., though. Things I Must Earn.