Notices

Active alcoholics and drama

Old 07-06-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Active alcoholics and drama

Like two peas in a pod, and I don’t miss being in that pod. There are several reminders here about what life was like before I gave it up, how battles were being fought everywhere. I sure don’t plan to go back to it. So, to all those who are struggling with alcohol and who have shared their difficult stories, thank you from this grateful alcoholic.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree. It's so easy to get caught up in drama, other's drama or just make it up drama then use it as an excuse to drink.

I love the peace of mind and lack if interest in drama that sobriety brings
Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’ve had a pretty drama free life since I quit 13 months ago and I am grateful for that every day! At the time I would/could not accept I was the cause of most of that drama and so glad I am not deluding myself anymore! xx
Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a teenage daughter. Talk about drama. All of em. I think, was I ever like that? Ha! Worse. Much worse. And not as a teenager, as a drunk. And alcohol is such a sloppy messy drug. I can drink an absolute crap ton because of tolerance and then out go all inhibitions and sense. Yikes.

Drama is immaturity. Addiction is immaturity...so yeah, peas and carrots. I'm speaking for myself here, btw.

I am also fascinated how addicts are so drawn to drama. And I mean, sober addicts. Speaking for myself I have to make a conscious effort to NOT post in and read drama threads. Like I'll check em out, like rubber necking past an accident, but I have to pull back and NOT do it. Don't look, don't look. It's like I simply can't help myself, my human nature. And drama threads always get the most posts and views.

Imagine that?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I relapsed 3 weeks ago and had more drama in that time than I care to ever have again. A day would be more drama than the 74 days sober combined. Yes life has its own sober drama but I don’t want to add to it. Alcohol can turn any normal event into a soap opera. And I certainly am the villain in it.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been drama-free for 63 days love every minute of it
Old 07-06-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I’ve had a pretty drama free life since I quit 13 months ago and I am grateful for that every day! At the time I would/could not accept I was the cause of most of that drama and so glad I am not deluding myself anymore! xx
Great post! A lot less problems of “other people’s making”, i.e. problems I started, are happening now I’m 6 months sober. I can argue with my wife, but there’s no raised voices, and things get resolved and made up.

My wife has never drunk alcohol, and she put up with a drunk like me so long. Drinkers are among the most selfish people on the planet.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My life is free of drama now that I'm sober and I don't miss it.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Unfortunately, I work with a bunch of drunks. They are speckled throughout the office.

The most dramatic one happens to be in charge and he creates and seeks out drama like a moth to a flame.

It is hard to tell how much he drinks, he is pretty private, but I feel like it is at least a bottle a weak or so.

He recently got promoted, even though he is a drunk, and now it is even worse.

Many of us are still trying to figure out how to get through the day without being attacked in some subtle or direct way. He will say something that is probing for a response so he can lash out. It really is sick.

I know that he drives everyone crazy, so I work to get a way like a cat that doesn't want to be touched. Eventually, he runs into someone that has had enough and he ends up with a nice fight.

Things escalate, the car crash happens, we all look as we drive by and then it is over until next time.

The boss that promoted him knows how he is, but since the drunk boss is such a busy body/tattle tale, the big boss knows nothing will slip by.

I would have left years ago, but the job is too easy and it pays good. I know there is more to life than money, but the grass is always greener.

Seems folks like that are generally everywhere and there really is no escape.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

D122y, any chance for a new job? Your situation sounds absolutely toxic at work. I hope you get out of there and before you do you are the hero to your co workers and tell them exactly as you told us, two drunks in a toxic pod treating the employees horribly and they are far from what real leadership is. I’d actually print out and hand them a chart about a boss vs a leader and leave. Even start your own company and take the employees with you. I’ve worked for women I honestly believe celebrate every time they make an employee cry. The day I was dismissed I was so mad but part of me was so relieved.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking is death.
**** alcohol.

Day 56 for me.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whew, it was stunning to me to realize how many types of drama in my life had taken over. It wasn't just "being dramatic" or flouncing out of party all dramatically or so on.....the idea that drama also meant creating a problem so we could get all worked up and solve it (hopefully) last minute was one that really helped me see that drama means chaos.

I'm also better able to deal with a 17 yr old step daughter's drama sober
Old 07-06-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, it took about a year for me to learn how to deal with my family’s drama. Of course, my dad is a meth addict and my two brothers are alcoholics but with that said I couldn’t deal with them if I wasn’t sober.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Urban Dictionary

Drama; A way of relating to the world in which a person consistently overreacts to or greatly exaggerates the importance of benign events.

My psychological theory is that we create drama because we want to feel alive, while inside, it is more like we are dead. I came up with this years ago in an attempt to explain why chaos junkies and drama queens (or kings) create situations that seem so inappropriate.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I don't want to hijack this thread. I only offer my testimony as it relates to the op.

I am pretty tough and dealing with toxic addict folks, even the boss, is something we all must deal with.

Booze hijacks the mind.

Thanks.