Notices

I guess everyone's out having fun but me

Old 07-04-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Few people appear to be here. That's no accident. It is the 4th of July after all.

It's 8pm exactly and to be totally honest I wish I had a drink in my hand right now.

I thought I'd post something because if I'm not careful I just might.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hmmm It doesn't seem much less busy than any other day at this time to me?

Just because you're at home doesn't mean you can't think of something fun to do though?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

Don't let your AV lie to you - you can get through tonight just like any other night, day, holiday or no holiday

D
Old 07-04-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not out, and I'm not having fun either cause of the stupid neighbors setting off firecrackers.

I hope you won't fall for the 'fun drinking' trap. It's a lie.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm here. It's ten after eleven here.
Please don't pick up that drink. If you're anything like me, there's no such thing as one drink. Play the tape through. What's there to gain by drinking? What's there to lose?
You're not alone. I'm here, sober as a stone and very content with that because I know full well what would happen if I take one drink.
Best to you, and hang in there.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to just sit with the emotions sometimes. Why would you want a drink in your hand? Why not like a burger or ice cream, something awesome like that.
Do you feel like 'missing out' on the booze or something else?
Stay strong!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live in a tourist/vacation town where everyone is making a point of yelling and partying all around me. Sometimes I wish i had a megaphone where I could stick it out the window and yell "SHUT THE **** UP!!"

kk1k5x- that's a good question I ask myself sometimes. I wish I had a good answer.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'm not out, and I'm not having fun either cause of the stupid neighbors setting off firecrackers.
Same here. Fireworks scaring my dogs since this afternoon, and they are still going off. Stupidest holiday of them all.

I don't know what your struggle is tonight, WaterOx, but it isn't because the board is lightly populated, or you perceive everyone is out having fun. What is it?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a couple of moments like that today and while I was driving home I was so grateful I didn't drink. I think once you become stronger in sobriety (I still feel like I'm not there yet) you will start having fun without the aid of alcohol or feeling like you're missing something.

Have you thought about the fact that maybe you haven't fully let go of romanticizing alcohol?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes it helps me to remember the times I was one of those people...and how it wasn’t actually that fun.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey there! I was out doing 4th of July stuff earlier but got bored and went home early. Lots of people were getting drunk, and I find drunk people kind of boring when I’m sober. Also, it’s too hot and my kid got sunscreen in her eye and started getting all whiny.

Sometimes holiday fun is overrated. We don’t need our calendars dictating when we go out and have a good time. I’m having a perfectly nice time right now, re-watching the LEGO Movie with my kid and wishing she’d get tired and go to bed so I can get back to my book, but I don’t really mind. It’s not exciting, but pleasant.

Anyway, glad you’re posting here instead of drinking. 😊
Old 07-04-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Sometimes holiday fun is overrated. We don’t need our calendars dictating when we go out and have a good time.
This is really good. Lots of time holidays are just excuses to drink for a lot of people, too. Society has told us that's the way we have fun, with a drink in our hand.

Thanks, Bonnie.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I live in a tourist/vacation town where everyone is making a point of yelling and partying all around me. Sometimes I wish i had a megaphone where I could stick it out the window and yell "SHUT THE **** UP!!"

kk1k5x- that's a good question I ask myself sometimes. I wish I had a good answer.
On June 23-24, we had our big summer celebrations here. Same deal. Instead of fireworks, we have massive bonfires. But the story is the same - people gear up for the drinking and 'merrymaking' for a week, choose the place to go etc. Mostly, they go through such elaborate preparations only to just get blasted and feel sick the next day. And then tell trumped up stories about 'fun'.

On the night this year, I was sitting on my balcony, not wanting a drink but pondering about the celebration as 'an institution'. For years I felt like you did - missing out. Because of drinking? Sure, a large part was that. But mostly because there was no one left to go to the bonfires with. That was a way bigger bummer for me. And that was because I drank, not because I didn't. Being the alkie that I am, for the most part, everything 'else' that's missing ends up in my brain as 'you want a drink, because it's so great'. Although we know it's a fool's errand in trying to mask and numb the real issue, whatever that may be for a particular person.

Stay with the programme
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also have to agree with others re not favorite holiday. It’s so late. And I’m so tired but keep getting awakened by loud fireworks.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My old man Jack died last fall and he was the one who was petrified of T storms and firecrackers. Poor old man would hide under my desk and tremble. This is the first time in 9 yrs that I haven't had Jack trembling under my desk.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank God for my little window a/c unit my
husband put in for us a few yrs ago installed
right over my bed window to drown out most
of the outside noises from our neighbors.

No, it's not perfect, but it helps along with
some earplugs.

What's so awesome about living a life in
recovery for the past 28 yrs, is that I know
I am not alone in lifes situations. To have
folks who understand just about everything
I go thru on a daily bases.

That I could go to a meeting, or come here to
SR, or reach out to someone else in recovery,
and talk about what is bothering me or asking
for suggestions to help solve a problem or
situation that is baffling me.

To know that I am never alone nor do I have
to figure out anything by myself again. Support,
understanding and care is always available to
each of us.

We made it thru another holiday and once again
am grateful to be sober and no hanger over that
many will be dealing with today.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WaterOx - how are you this morning? Hopefully grateful you didn't drink (and now it's not a holiday, right?!). I came on a few times yesterday but didn't see much action - I was really just looking for folks who might need a positive word....then I went turned my attention to dinner w my husband and stepson (at 5pm!) and then watching one of the famous local chefs I know on the season of Top Chef he competed in.

I also found some readings that were about the topic of freedom, and what we need to do as a collective society, and so on- gratitude being a key component of what I GET to do now, being sober.

What are your plans today? I def had to turn my idea of "fun" into both realizing I was having zero of that (and much worse) as I kept drinking...and there are so many things to do that begin to be way fun.

Least....I'm sorry about Jack. Our older dog is terrified of the "sky falling" in every way- and our new tiny dog is like Superdog who is never thrown by anything.

Take care all.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yup! 327 million people in the US and theyre ALL out having fun. theres no one sitting in the hospital with their child as theyre fighting cancer. no one is watching a loved one taking their last breath. no one just got the call that their loved one was in an accident. no one laying in bed sick. no one is working.there wasnt a family on the streets struggling to find food, drug addict that od'ed and died, alcoholic didnt crash and injure someone where firefighters are extracting someone from that wreck,EMS isnt there to administer first aid, doctors arent at the hospitals prepared for them,,nurses not there to do their job,which is more than the doctors- EVERYONE is out having fun but you.

and millions wakin up today with the hangover from hell, trashed houses, party guests passed out here and there................reads like fun to me!
in other words,waterox,look at the whole picture.
ask youself;
would a drink honestly change anything?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How did you do WaterOx?
Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

tomsteve FTW on this one. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I had a wonderful fourth. Sober mind you. And to boot didnt even see the fireworks. Put myself in a food coma lol. Now I am up early in the am . cup of java. Soaking the Sun. Pausing and reflecting my 62 days of sobriety today.