Notices

Drunk People Are Boring

Old 07-04-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk People Are Boring

My dad drinks every night and I live with him. He doesn't get drunk per se, just I can tell when he's feeling relaxed from it. He gets overly excited about weather and I can easily trigger him with politics.

To wit, he's boring even when it's just a small buzz that he has going. So much so that I don't want to talk to him. I'd be able to tell even if I didn't watch him open his beer and pour it in a mug; even if I didn't know his drinking habits. I can tell immediately from someone's personality.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah I don’t think it enhances people tbh. Gets very irritating the more that is consumed. But I always remember that was me in my former life.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm OK with friends if they've had one, maybe two drinks. After that it gets boring.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boring is about as good as they get. They get dangerous when they're too "exciting."

Boring, stupid, morally reprehensible, weak, smelly... yeah, not a lot of good things to say about drunk people. So glad I'm not one of them anymore.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, and I was one of them for many, many years. It is a difficult situation to be around, so avoiding it if possible can help. Perhaps you can find some other activities to do outside your home when he's drinking?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I thought we were here to help people struggling, not condemn or bad mouth the still sick and suffering.

My mistake I guess
Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think it's badmouthing- I think it's important to recognize what we were actually like when drinking. Boring was the least offensive way I behaved- and boring meant repetitively awful most of the time.

I am just not around folks drinking too much. Fam or not. My life and circle just don't include alcoholics still drinking or people who just drink too much. It's not a fear thing or a judgment thing, it's a how I live my life thing.

Living with a drinker like your dad is tough, TWTOM. I know folks who go to pretty strong lengths to not be around drinkers even in the same house. One I know sleeps in the basement on the sofa most nights because his brother drinks and often drugs in the upstairs level where they each have a room.

It just has to be up to us to get and stay sober. No matter what others do. And a gift of that is finding that I can choose not to be around those bores like I was
Old 07-05-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Hey who am I to judge. I still remember. Being told when we were a pub or whatever to eat. And I was sober. When I observe a patron that is fubar wasted and my friend would say a ah yes you were just like that.....wow reality check ...... No more 62 days for me
Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry, just seems like projection to me and the pot calling the kettle black.

Im assuming that if Twtom is an adult hes free to move out of boring dads place at any time and not try to rankle him with politics to take his fathers inventory
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

im sober and fairly boring also

ill take boring over all the drama associated with drinking anytime
Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too
Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with the OP. Drunk people are boring, immature, and tough to be around. That’s why I leave when the drinking ride turns to drunk.

I try really hard not to judge though. Not too long ago I was one of them. It actually helps remind me why I am sober. It helps strengthen my resolve to never again go back to drinking.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If we turn any inkling of judgment into empathy and possibly being of service just by being sober ourselves, that's a gift to all of us.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didnt intend to bad mouth anyone. I was also a boring drunk when I was drinking. Hell, I'm a boring sober person - but at least I dont irritate others with my sober thoughts. I don't go out if my way to message people at 3AM all of my thoughts when I'm sober.

That's all I meant. I was referring to my past self too.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Youre obviously more advanced than I am.

I however dont feel I have I have a right to be talking **** about ANYONE.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dandy- we know you're not in a good place - keep sharing, tho - you have as much right to your thoughts as they are now as you will at each step of your sobriety. You can do this.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Obviously.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pretty much anything a drunk/drinking person says has to considered as not being of sound mind.

Some people can be black out drunk pretty quick. Depends on things. For me, I used to be on autopilot after about 8 units. I would say 4, but I always had at least 2 units per drink.

I somewhat would remember the evening, but anything I did or said was not the real me. My wife used to get the brunt of it. It seemed that she would, and still does, like to say things to hurt me and not think much about it.

So, she would/does get the horns. Staying away from a drunk person is a smart move.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was sober for the first 25 years of my life.

Im not anyones entertainment drunk or sober.

pretty boring actually and quiet as January said.

I obviously have a huge issue surrounding this.

Listen Im just here to try to live another day. Because honestly I dont care anymore.

I just nčed some peace.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As someone who has been a bore and been bored by the drink, I can relate. In fact, long before my own problems with alcohol started, my own father drank a lot and when I went down to visit him I found him very boring, at best.

Once I developed into a drinker I guess I fancied myself less boring than him but I doubt it.

I'm sure none of us would like to be called a bore directly to our face and in any time of need- but I think most of us can agree that alcohol does something pretty awful to us- and as mentioned, being a "bore" is probably the least of it. The point is to shed ourselves of this terrible disease and (hopefully) take on something new and exciting; to live life in a way that is far better than being a boring drunk.