Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Fourth of July Celebrations - without alcohol? Is that possible? Weekenders 04July - 08July 2019

Notices

Fourth of July Celebrations - without alcohol? Is that possible? Weekenders 04July - 08July 2019

Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 2 of my get my life back phase. I slept almost 24 solid hours. I had so many vivid dreams. The last dream I had I went to the ATM, but it was also a lottery machine. I won $450,000 and knew immediately what I want to do with my life and the money. Waking up, nearly broke to the shambles but I’m hoping to get some exercise in today. The dream was a good motivation to what I want. Eat some good vegetables, healthy food. Of course I will nap probably most the day. My friends I caused drama with Fourth of July invited me out, but I of course declined due to my shame.

Love the pictures here , caturday is adorable. The blue heron is amazing, I see them where I live. This place is a lifesaver for me, the members and the moderators are my lifesavers. I’m crying again writing this. Have a great Saturday.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lady Blue and hi MB - great to see you both

D
Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

mariposa - a video of your namesake, the SS Mariposa, sister ship to the Monterey, of Matson Lines. (6:52)

Old 07-06-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Saturdays are cursed for me it seems. Another strong craving but I just went home and drowned it in ice cream. Up too late tonight but whatever! I have tomorrow off. Reading here before bed has helped, same with posting.

Sometimes life just isn't what you want, but that's okay for right now. It'll get better. One small step at a time. As long as I'm not drinking, things are okay.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

So with my partner and his friends all drinking, I’ve escaped off for an early night 3 nights in a row. I have had no intention of drinking this weekend but I had a random spontaneous scary moment yesterday when I was asked to hold stuff while my partner was doing something. I found myself standing with a hat in one hand and a whiskey and cola in my other hand. For about 5 minutes. Nowhere to put it down. I sniffed it. And it brought a wave of nostalgia I think I almost started to hyperventilate. But I didn’t have a drink. That’s the closest I’ve been to alcohol in nearly 14 months. About 1cm away. As soon as I got that drink out of my hand I went away quickly and got some chocolate and ate it. Fast. Phew. A random moment and a lucky escape. I woke up this morning very thankful to be sober.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Morning,

Been awake since 4.30am. My neighbour has a tin BBQ stored directly under a leaky gutter, when it rains it as it is now, it sounds like conga drums! How they sleep through it I have no idea. I certainly can't.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Andyh, my friend, I have to give myself a talking-to on the regular and check my thinking. I may have quit drinking but I followed myself into my new sober life and now there are so many more hours to be me. I hope your well deserved weekend is a good one.

Kaily, is your house your own again?

Those apartments on the canal will have some drama when their decks need work, sao.

Still no scaffolding outside my window...it seems they're really gone.
Bim, what you said resonated with me! I used to want to run away but when I got there I was still there!
Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Willow, good on you for not taking a sip of the drink! We know for us, it’s never just 1 drink!

Kaily how annoying with the rain and bbq. They need a cover for that bbq!

Dpac, I’m pleased you had some ice-cream to hand. As you say, it does get better.

Visiting in-laws later, they’ve just come back from a trip to Devon.

Have a good Sober Sunday.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Bim, what you said resonated with me! I used to want to run away but when I got there I was still there!
Yes! So true
Old 07-07-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Andyh, my friend, I have to give myself a talking-to on the regular and check my thinking. I may have quit drinking but I followed myself into my new sober life and now there are so many more hours to be me. I hope your well deserved weekend is a good one.

Still no scaffolding outside my window...it seems they're really gone.
thanks Bim.

it's not much fun to feel like that, but I know it's bearable & I know that it will pass.

I hope you're enjoying being scaffolding-free.

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Little update on the bike. Picked her up on thursday evening and went to work on it yepsterday. Andy time to come clean it's a 125 Hyosung Aquila GV 125 custom, almost new, 3500kms on the clock. . It's a 15bhp Vtwin. Korean. It's got pretty good reviews and I have to say I'm happy with the handling and 110km/h is enough for me.

Maybe one day I will pass the full bike license...
so it is a model like I said.

whatever works for you - at least you're going to have to be trying hard to get a speeding ticket.

hang in there anyone having a tough time.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I hope it's sunny today.

Sundays ought to always be sunny, right? Yesterday I wanted to go to the beach and it was cloudy and rainy. I had to remind myself that no one gets sunny beautiful weekends 52 weeks per year and the weather was not, "out to get me."

Being an only child tends to make one very self centered. Add alcohol for 20 years and I made all of life and the Universe about me. That's a long way to fall afterwards,
Old 07-07-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi LadyBlue! and MidnightBlue!
And everyone else

Got the cabinet on the wall. Spend most of the day dismanteling, modifying, reprairing and rebuilding the old cabinet. Had a frusterating time hanging it. Found the plubming vent behind the wall, right where I attempted to put two ancors. Then the screw heads on the ancors kept stripping ahhg! and finally when it as done, level and the door hung, I could not, (and still can't) find the three shelves that go in it.

I have a room that's full of stuff, old and new, they are in there somewhere. I'm sure they will show up as I proceed with the garage project.

Ukulele strum in the park this afternoon! Sooo looking forward to that!

Bim, not even missing the eye candy?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Enjoyed the Alex Harvey so decided to post this. It's the first song I ever learned in full 25 years ago now. Always clicks a button on me.
Andy go watch some cricket...
Have a great evening weekenders
https://youtu.be/mj0LxFjgAjg

Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

...Being an only child tends to make one very self centered...
In my experience, that is absolutely untrue
Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
In my experience, that is absolutely untrue
wow, really Caramel? Ouch. That's the one thing in this entire thread you chose to comment on?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Waking up to day 3, feeling about 25% better. I feel more positive today and glad I stopped at just 3 weeks into my relapse. A lot went wrong but there is so much worse things waiting if I continue. Having my coffee then off to the gym.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Enjoy your new bike VMan, perfect for summer in South West France I would think..

Those canalside flats/apartments are rather pricey bim so I expect they can pay someone to maintain any decking. I wish I could afford one.

Congratulations to the several Weekenders who have been tested somewhat these last few days but came through all the same.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sad to see the end of a good weekend. Daughter decided to join me at the ukulele strum in the park today. Made me very happy. We took a stroll thru the scuplture garden afterwards and decided that next weekend we shall return for a picnic.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...ulpture+garden
Old 07-07-2019, 10:13 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Bim you made me smile, thankyou.

Dragon, wow! The sculpture garden is magnificent! I’d love to stroll through it!

Mariposa, keep close. ’s

Visited my friend at the weekend, who loves looking after her grandchildren. She says when she has one of hers son’s child over she has him until late the next day because they’re too hung over to collect him. She says they drink too much. Warning bells sounded. I kept quiet though, she knows my story, I’m sure she’ll know if they’re going on the same downhill spiral.

Glad to say the weekend came and went without a thought of having booze.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all, hope everyone made it through the weekend safely.