Drunk

Drunk on rum

had around 20 days

but it wasn't really as I just replaced alcohol with weed

I feel useless; unemployed, in debt, relationship troubles etc etc
Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I think you will find your troubles are much easier to manage when you're sober from alcohol and marijuana. I hope you're ready to start working on your sobriety now. You can do this.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You come to the right place. No worries. . can you stop drinking for lets say an hour? If so then try 2 and so on and so on. Look you have to humble yourself I am also unemployed in debt divorced but yet I'm humble why I'm sober I have 60 days now you really magnify your problems alcohol was just a Band-Aid and a buffer boozing is not going to solve your problems I promise you it's going to make things worse so you know what I'm saying one hour at a time one day at a time whatever works you can do this. Ask your higher power for help and you will have Victory I promise whoever you choose to call your higher power
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Drunk on rum
Before this relapse, this was your last post to SR:

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
I know the hardest work is ahead, but I'm sticking around here for the long haul
Your last post until today. Away from SR for a week and now drunk. Coincidence?

For the addict/alcoholic, failure to engage in recovery usually means falling back to drugging and drinking. Hope your plans for extended sobriety will include actions to support your decision to quit drinking and smoking the weed.

If that's your plan.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jordan Peterson, who is a canadian psychologist and has pissed off most of the world, says alcoholics are susceptible to alcoholism because their opiate receptors in the brain are, well, more susceptible than most peoples.

I'm not sure if I agree it's totally biological.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always felt at my most useless when I was extremely drunk or severely hungover. Feeling useless and pathetic was almost a weekly experience for me.
I can count on one hand how many times I've felt that way over this past sober year. The substances certainly help to blow all of life's issues completely out of proportion and make it all feel unmanageable.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
Jordan Peterson, who is a canadian psychologist and has pissed off most of the world, says alcoholics are susceptible to alcoholism because their opiate receptors in the brain are, well, more susceptible than most peoples.

I'm not sure if I agree it's totally biological.
I'm not sure how that guy could **** off most of the world. I find the guy refreshing and brilliant.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best Resurgence!

I and many others here have been where you are now. I kept relapsing until the point where I knew I either had to stop or die (I was 54 by then) That forced me into analysing my drinking and realising that I would never beat my cravings so I would have to avoid the worst of them.

Long story but essentially I got up at zero dark thirty and walked or jogged and would collapse into bed circa 8.30-9pm so dodging the peak hours of my cravings. Did it for four months. I'm not saying that is what you have to do, just that you have to look at your addiction head on to be able to work out what you have to do to beat it.

You might feel useless but you're not, you're someone with a health problem - you would't be posting here if you were useless. Regroup, analyse, make changes, quit again and when you get on top of it you will take great satisfaction from it.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You posted, Resurgence. You didn't stay away & hide. That means you aren't content to continue the drinking life & all the misery it brings. Let's try this again.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Resurgence

I really think you owe it to yourself to try and stay sober and clean.

It's rough in the beginning - but less rough I think that what you're going through now - and the eventual payoff for all the hard work is great.

I'm not sure what other kinds of things you were doing to stay sober, but it's probably worth thinking what else you could add to that now?

Leave no stone unturned man

D
Old 07-03-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

had around 20 days

but it wasn't really as I just replaced alcohol with weed

I'm glad you get this. Some people don't.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today Resurgence?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm here to check on you too, Resurgence. We care.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I'm not sure how that guy could **** off most of the world. I find the guy refreshing and brilliant.
I don't totally agree its biological either....I do believe there is something to it that my Grandmother was an alchy..my Grandfather...my sisters and me.....

For me thou...alcohol was a "behavoir problem"....when something went wrong or right....I wanted to numb or intensify good problems...I RAN to the alcohol....I never stopped to think of a different coping mechanism.

Now I must develop better coping mechanisms since 11 days ago I was on deaths door....I have to change my "behaviors" many of them...and one of the WORST behaviors I have had is to run to alcohol when the going gets rough.