Notices

My dog is dying

Old 07-02-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dog is dying

I awoke to hear my dog stumbling around trying to walk and he could not. He had a slipped disk as well as heart troubles we were trying to address. I'm waiting for the vet to open at 730 am and I plan on being on his doorstep with Bandit. I know the answer will be that Bandit has most likely had a stroke or the nerve damage from his spine has progressed somehow. I won't let him suffer as he and I have had a wonderful life together. My heart is breaking. I know that someone is always on SR 24/7 and it feels good to just type this and reach out to people who are like me - and know what it is like to be heartbroken and being a person in recovery. I'm strong in my recovery and I know I need to rally my supports now.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry. From experience I know pets are as close as family.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry soberclover but you're a good responsible pet owner. Its not right for Bandit to suffer.

Thinking of you both today

D
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh my heart goes out to you. It is one of the saddest but also one of the kindest things you can do for your fur friend.

I have been where you are now, so all I can say is - here's a hug - I am thinking of you.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry about your little buddy.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

so sry to hear about your dog bandit!!
i know how devastating it can be to lose one of our baby fur friends x
here thinking of him and you x
Old 07-03-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Saying goodbye to our furry friends is absolutely heartbreaking but we know when it is the right time.

Wishing I could say something to give you comfort but there isn't anything. It will take time and lots of tears.

My thoughts are with you and Bandit.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How heartbreaking for you soberclover
My thoughts are with you. Our fur babies mean the world to us and losing them is devastating.
Take care ♥️
Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry to hear about your buddy. Not a good feeling . It's a tough but righteous decision that you have to make. And to boot in recovery as well for some folks you know what that means in my case if I were to decide it would almost be a death sentence for me as well my heart goes out to you I hope you stay strong I have 60 days today so I am in early recovery. Stay strong
Old 07-03-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry for you and Bandit. Your post brought tears to me because I truly understand that pets are part of our family .

Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be there with him when they put him to sleep. Of course, he won't understand what is happening, but being with him when he takes his last breath will make him a little more comfortable.

I left one sick dog at the vet over night with a twisted intestine, although we didn't know what it was at the time. We dropped him off in the afternoon, and the vet started treating him. After dark, I asked the vet if we could come and visit him. He was laying on a rug in a small barn, hooked up to an IV drip. He didn't get up when we came in. He didn't even lift his head. He just flopped his tail on the ground a couple of times when he heard our voices. The vet said that was the most active he had been since we brought him in.

The next morning when I got out of bed, I called the vet. A volunteer answered the phone, and I asked about our dog. There was a muffled conversation at the other end followed by the news, "He didn't make it through the night." Actually, we didn't think he would, but with that news the grief came crashing down all at once. I decided, I would never let another dog die alone.

Our next dog lived for 16 years. I hiked a thousand miles with him in the Montana Wilderness over the years, I've never bonded with another dog that much. When he got so old that he could no longer get up, we took him to the vet, and I held his head as he looked at me while I told him what a good dog he was one last time. He suddenly exhaled all the air in his lungs and collapsed. The process is fast and painless, of course difficult to watch, but it beats not being there when your pet dies in a strange place with no one around. It seemed to ward off some of the empty helplessness I had the first time. And you get to share your love with him right up until the very end of his life. There's a completeness to it.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your doggy. The loss is heart wrenching. The pain will subside. I was with my beloved dog almost a year ago when she was euthanized and I still cry. I cherish the memories and the love she gave me.
Take extra good care of yourself.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry
Old 07-03-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope everything went ok at the vet. I have been where you are and it is heart breaking, no doubt. But absolutely the right and loving thing to do.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My heart just fell open for you. Thank you for being so good to Bandit. Much love to you both from my dog and I.

-b
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry for your beloved Bandit. Thank you for doing the right thing for him, though it's so painful for you.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sharing your pain, soberclover - been through this 6 mos. ago. They take a piece of our heart. You gave him a beautiful life. Please know you are never, ever alone.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm so sorry to hear about Bandit.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. It is truly heartbreaking.