Notices

Checking in day 23-almost caved

Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in day 23-almost caved

I am taking it slow today.
I have some time off work and these days make me want to drink because in my mind, I could drink during the day and sober up before my husband got home. Isn’t that dumb??
I am not doing it I don’t want to feel terrible later.
Walked to the beer shop to get him beer and was SO close to getting the little vodkas for me to sneak. I didn’t!! I got a soda instead (not the best choice but better than booze!)
I have been doing a lot of cleaning today and took a really nice long shower. Got the little one in a long bath to condition her hair and then we are going to maybe do a little window shopping at some stores.

Anyway i am just posting more for accountability and almost as a diary entry today.

Thank you to all. 🌻
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you really need to stop going to the store to buy him booze--that's really too much to ask for someone who is working on quitting.

Why can't he go for himself?

Great job on holding the line and getting to 23 days Hootowl--you deserve a lot of credit
Old 07-02-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting drunk during the day and sobering up before he gets home just sounds like pure hell. You made a wise choice not to do that. Plus, you might think that is hiding it, but he would know. Clear as day.

And yes, I think going to the store to buy him beer is just an excuse for you to go to the store to look at alcohol.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I have to agree with Hawkeye here. Buying alcohol for someone else to drink in early sobriety is not good. If this causes any temptation (which you say it did with the little vodka bottles) then it is not a wise move. Put a strong non negotiable boundary in place that you will not buy your husband alcohol and stick to it. Fair enough, your sobriety is not going to be a the top of anyone else’s priority list, nor should it be but it sure as hell should be the top of your priority list xx
Old 07-02-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job posting here. Window shopping with your little one sounds lovely. Keep close to SR today.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too am bewildered by the whole 'Go to store to buy him booze' statement. Does he specifically ask you to do that, knowing you're in recovery? Or do you kindly do that as a favour to him when in fact it's an excuse for you to pass by the store?
Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you only quitting because he wants you to? I mean you cant sneak it past your self. You cant sneak it past your liver or brain. I know I aint buying anyone any ******* beer if Im currently drinking or not. I personally am not a delivery man. If you want something, booze or other wise, go buy it yourself. I've drank for 35 years and never once would I even consider asking my wife to buy me some beer. For one, I know she would tell me to **** off and even if I knew she would not mind I still would not ask. I dont need someone picking up anything for me. I can get it my self. I'm a man. I take care of myself. I dont need, nor do I want someone waiting on me. Not to mention if I knew she was addicted to alcohol I certainly would not disrespect her by asking her to go and buy alcohol. Is there some reason why he cant get up to the store by himself for the stuff he wants?
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 23 is great!

I agree with the others and I would not go into a store to buy alcohol for anyone. That seems especially risky in early recovery.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today Hootowlhoot?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

23 days is awesome. As for getting booze for someone else. Um .....No! Sorry charlie .
Old 07-05-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all and thank you for your support, encouragement and concern.

to answer you questions he asks me to stop and get the beer for him.

i am still sober 🙌🏻

Old 07-05-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would say no and tell him to get his own beer.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have to strongly throw in that....there is no reason for me to ever go to a liquor store. So gum, mints, soda, cigs for those who do that....always.available.elsewhere. Even the grocery - here they sell wine and beer and one thing I did for the first weeks? Didn't take a purse, or a cloth carrying bag....and a set amount of cash and I kept the receipt - and showed it to one of my parents. I was an expert at buying (or, ahem, shoplifting) wine and fitting into any bag. I certainly couldn't have made it out with beer with this tactic either.

My early sobriety simply had to be treated like the most tender and delicate thing I've ever had the chance to take care of....no matter who else was involved.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice work not getting the vodka nips! I don't think I could have done that....I wish your husband could find another "runner" for the liquor store...you don't need to be put in that kind of spot.

Soda is FINE! Anything is fine except alcohol.....i am grateful that I now look at the liquor store and feel like it is the "plaque" to me....I am so grateful I have 11 days sober right now.