Notices

What were the best parts of when you quit.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good question: for me, the best part is waking up feeling positive about myself. I no longer wake with a start, feeling ashamed and anxiety ridden. I no longer feel like I have to do everything in order to prove that “Im a good person” which would justify the next drink.

I love that I have adult-like emotional responses, can have adult conversations and can set and reinforce boundaries.

I love that I finally found my self confidence. I finally believe in myself and love myself!!

There are so many amazing benefits to sobriety.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

The biggest shift that happened for me was about maybe 6 months in. One day, I had the realization that not drinking was not a punishment. I had stopped thinking in terms of "I CAN'T drink ever again" and was thinking in terms of "I am FREE from drinking." Boy did that feel great. It takes some time to start building new sober, healthy habits. At the beginning there's fear and trepidation - you wonder what a sober life is like, and it all seems a bit daunting. There's a lot of unknown. I would wonder how I was going to get through social events, rough days, celebrations, without alcohol. It had been my constant companion, my go-to. But as time went by and I figured out that I could get through just about any situation without alcohol, and it was all actually BETTER, my mindset changed completely. Now, even if I could drink "normally" I don't think I would. I enjoy being able to take care of business and have fun sober too much to mess that up with even a drink or two.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Every single thing.

My relationships, my career, my physicals, my spirit, sleep, skin, spirit, confidence, calmness, money, dreams, future, even my regrets themselves became aspects of my life I could deal with and learn from.

Not that it doesn't take work. It's not always easy and it's not always fun. But it's a gift to your life, a true reclaiming of your one and only life, that sobriety gives you.

Thankful every damn day.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me...the best part was realizing I can still have fun while sober.

Spending all day doing my usual Saturday routine of being on the boat with friends. Spent 10 hours out there, sober as a brick, had an amazing time, and could DRIVE HOME. Woke up the next day well rested, hydrated, tan, feeling great!

After 308 days sober....my favorite part now is having someone tell me "You look happy, and healthy. I want that too. Can you help me?"
Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I found happiness in things that I had not seen happiness in before
I forgave myself after a little over a year
I sleep now, actual sleep. Omg, it’s amazing.
I don’t create drama like I did before. Also I avoid it when I see it.
I feel FREE
My relationships are more meaningful.
My work got better after about a year.
I lost a significant amount of weight.
I love more authentically
Waking up in the morning is pleasant
I smell better
I eat to nourish myself, not to cut alcohol.
I can exercise, and do.
My skin is actually beautiful now.
I feel connected to humanity in general. That’s a spiritual thing. I’m still exploring that.

At 30 days I was sleeping, and developing a strong attachment to the value of that.
After ten days of forcing myself to be grateful, I started to notice I actually was.
At 2 weeks my eyes looked white and clear.
After 90 days I started to think my whole body was changing, although I couldn’t see it.
At 6 months I started losing weight. I also was revving up exercise because I could.
At a year I had lost a lot of weight.
At a year I realized I was a dependable person who functioned well.
At two years, I was basically a different person than the person who had come here hung over for the last time.

You’re doing great. Even if only one of these things is true for you, what in the world do you have to lose? You won’t regret quitting drinking, but will regret, and already have regretted, not quitting.

In Gratitude,

bexxed
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My experience is that it keeps getting better. You can’t know how good you can feel until you feel it so just keep on sober safe in the knowledge that the best is yet to come. This is contingent on working a program of recovery from alcoholism though.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bexxed- I love your post!

I'm on Day 22. I know my skin feels softer and my Fitbit shows a really good drop in my heart rate. But I take a weekly photo and I the past 3 weeks I see no difference. same with weight. I though with drinking close to 3 bottles of wine a night, the weight would drop off but I do see a lot of posts saying that it takes longer. I can handle that, it's just my impatient nature.
I've increased my walking and now me and the dog walk at a good steady pace, even at the crack of dawn! So I'm glad we're both getting better. I'm enjoying as well that I'm not eating junk (yes sweets play a role at present) but in general, I'm making a conscious effort to include more fruit, making a breakfast,lunch and dinner. The contrast to me whilst drinking is night and day. Drinking, I bought crappy microwave meals, which were useless because when you drink, your body seems alcohol as a toxin(which it is) so all your energy goes to the liver and kidneys working overtime to get rid of it so your digestion gets screwed over and you absorb very few nutrients. And personally, for me I had the runs for days whilst drinking. I'm actually grateful to have my digestion back to normal and not having those god-awful cramps in the morning, worried that if I fart I'll have an accident! Why would I ever go back to that??
Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How goes it needshelp111? Did you make it to day 3?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ditto for a lot of the blessings listed by all previous posts. I can only add is finally realizing the immense love that Higher Power has for me.

Permanent recovery, done one day at a time, is a miracle but no mystery. Find your HP and take the steps. This is my own experience, not telling anyone to do the same.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mornings are great as many have mentioned but summer evenings in the garden are awesome. Watering as the sun goes down and then watching the night sky arrive. Unheard of before. Each time I say thank you for my new life.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I have to say Zombie79 that I spat out my brew and belly laughed out loud to your “worried if I fart I’ll have an accident”. That was so me too! I had completely forgotten about that being a real thing and it’s good to remember where I was then to really be able to appreciate where I am now. xx
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I have to say Zombie79 that I spat out my brew and belly laughed out loud to your “worried if I fart I’ll have an accident”. That was so me too! I had completely forgotten about that being a real thing and it’s good to remember where I was then to really be able to appreciate where I am now. xx
​​​​​​Lol I thought when I wrote it that maybe it was a bit tmi, but I think most people here have had things like that and I think it's like you said, good to see how far you've come!:-)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Like a lot of people mentioned here I think I said it earlier I'm not sure my sleeping is so much better I feel great energize not hungover feeling like a bag of smashed bee holes I don't miss that at all this is my turning point I'm working on day 6 0 tomorrow after I go to bed tonight
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Waking up ready to start the day, refreshed
Being thankful for every minute of every day
Energy
Respecting myself, putting on different clothes rather than the same old thing, and looking good and feeling good
Losing 20 lbs
Having real conversations/connections with people
Ridding my guilt over the old me, new me now to judge and she cares way less what you think of her
Confidence
Healing
Hope

6 months sober a few days ago, proud of me
Old 07-02-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It got easier and easier as time went by. I was fully recovered at 6 months.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
Bexxed- I love your post!

I'm on Day 22. I know my skin feels softer and my Fitbit shows a really good drop in my heart rate. But I take a weekly photo and I the past 3 weeks I see no difference. same with weight. I though with drinking close to 3 bottles of wine a night, the weight would drop off but I do see a lot of posts saying that it takes longer. I can handle that, it's just my impatient nature.
I've increased my walking and now me and the dog walk at a good steady pace, even at the crack of dawn! So I'm glad we're both getting better. I'm enjoying as well that I'm not eating junk (yes sweets play a role at present) but in general, I'm making a conscious effort to include more fruit, making a breakfast,lunch and dinner. The contrast to me whilst drinking is night and day. Drinking, I bought crappy microwave meals, which were useless because when you drink, your body seems alcohol as a toxin(which it is) so all your energy goes to the liver and kidneys working overtime to get rid of it so your digestion gets screwed over and you absorb very few nutrients. And personally, for me I had the runs for days whilst drinking. I'm actually grateful to have my digestion back to normal and not having those god-awful cramps in the morning, worried that if I fart I'll have an accident! Why would I ever go back to that??
Good on you for day 22!

It goes against our tendency toward instant gratification, but some of this stuff really takes time. Compared with how long it took us to fall apart it’s pretty fast, though. I am absolutely not a doctor but I have a feeling that the reason weight doesn’t come off is because even though there’s a net calorie loss, weight from drinking isn’t the same as weight from overindulgence of food. I have exactly zero evidence of this. I know that when I dieted before drinking, I lost weight. But when I stopped drinking, and eliminated thousands of daily calories in alcohol, while simultaneously eliminating the crap food I would eat, the weight stayed on for awhile. It made very little sense. I’ve concluded that alcohol messes with my body’s ability to regulate itself in many ways, by poisoning my internal organs. I needed to patiently let my body heal from the inside before it could regulate and the weight came off.

I didn’t quit drinking for my looks, though. It crossed my mind that that would be a good motivator but it definitely wasn’t enough. I quit drinking because I hated living in the brain of a person who was so toxic from the inside out. I didn’t like myself anymore, at all.

I don’t hate that person anymore. I love that person. She was sick, lost, damaged, confused, and hurt. I forgave her. It took awhile as I said above and in retrospect that was the big turning point for me. I’m accountable for what she did over the years and I’m clear that it was me who did and said all of the things in those bottle years. I’m also grateful to have found the source the lead me back to myself. I found that inside myself, by coming here to figure out the way. I stay here because it helps keep me sober.

it gets better, I promise. Be patient and you’ll find your way too.

xoxo- b
Old 07-02-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
How goes it needshelp111? Did you make it to day 3?
Yeah, sober and loving it. Feel so great and productive. Still, having some anxiety issues at work, but they are slowing a bit as the days move on. I know that I'm going to have stress at work no matter if I drink or not, so why not handle it feeling pleasant vs. tired from the booze?
My triggers for drinking are boredom and a feeling of nothing to do. I am trying to reframe my thoughts of "I can't drink" to more about happy to have a sober day of beautiful things to do.
I'm also focusing on how much the booze affected my life/work and personal relationships.
TBH I'm looking forward to all the money I'll save. Regularly, I would drink about 10 dollars of booze a day in beer. Double that on the weekends. Plus eating fast food like getting pizza or something. That adds up to me.
Day 3 for me.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needshelp111 View Post
. I am trying to reframe my thoughts of "I can't drink" to more about happy to have a sober day of beautiful things to do.
I'm also focusing on how much the booze affected my life/work and personal relationships.
This is Gratitude. It’s good stuff. Congrats on day 3!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Waking up and watching the sunrise was like a whole new world to me, to see people getting out and about living normal lives, smelling the morning air, listening to the birds. Same thing with life after dinner, being sober and being able to go out to eat or see a movie instead of sitting in front of the TV watching something I would have little memory of the next day. Plus everything said above.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Bexxed-!

I do get what your saying because even digestion wise, it took a while for that to right itself.

For me, drinking was wrecking every part of my life, physically and mentally. I was isolating myself, I was going through depression and drinking obviously didn't help, I was self harming, pushing people away. Financially very unstable and I had to stop. Drinking was the only thing wrecking everything and to top it all off I was tired of feeling rotten all the time. I think because I'm feeling a lot better, I just want to show that but I realise, it'll take time.

Anyways, up at 6- time to get out for a walk with the dog and it's lovely and sunny this morning:-)