Notices

Slippery Slope 3

Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Doing well. Had a very difficult bike ride with my daughter yesterday, the winds kept shifting and it felt like we had headwinds in both directions. I know what to do but my strength isn't quite there yet. When I got home I had the best endorphin high I've had in years. It felt incredible. So much better than the high you get with drugs or booze. Today I'm pretty pooped so taking it easy, hope to get out again tomorrow. Our leaves are starting to change, the aspens are just a little bit yellow. This is probably my favorite time of year to cycle. Looking forward to skate skiing already, saw a few people on roller skis yesterday, training. Getting very organized again, man this taking forever though.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like you're doing great Joe

D
Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I love this time of the year here. Glad your doing well.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Such a nice, positive and strong thread/journal you've got here. Congrats on turning your life around.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

10 more days and it will be 3 months sober, yay! I just have no desire to drink, it's amazing. I don't even think about it much. I do worry about being tempted so I'm on guard 24/7. I DO NOT want to have another bender for the rest of my life. I can't believe I even let that happen.

Having surgery on my left eyelid a week from today, I have ptosis probably from using hard contacts when I was younger. My vision is pretty obscured in that eye. It will be so nice to be able to see fully again. Only takes 30 minutes. I could never do this if I was drinking. I'm beginning to realize that there is really nothing we can't do when we're sober. Drinking is like having your legs cut off from underneath you.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're sounding great Joe - so glad all is well

D
Old 09-21-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Glad to hear how you are doing Joe!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Today marks the beginning of month 4 sober. I definitely have more stress in my life now than I should. It's good that I'm sober. I barely even think about drinking anymore. It seems foreign to me at this point. Thanks to everyone here who has supported me!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

4 months is awesome Joe

Hope the stress abates a but tho

D
Old 10-02-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Congratulations Joe, month four is awesome 👏 👏 👏.

I hope your eyelid surgery went smoothly. I’m sorry to hear about the stress factor, hopefully it will lessen. Have you tried meditation, there are some great free Apps if you haven’t, I benefitted from Headspace, initially, but didn’t fully subscribe after learning the basics, which I can now employ, any time any place!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Almost up to 3.5 months. I so DON'T miss hangovers. I got up this morning around 5:45 and I could work, return emails, read the news. I could NEVER do that when drinking. My days are so much longer. I'm getting used to being productive again, I think I had ground to a halt before I quit. My eye is healing really well. The bruising is long gone and the swelling looks a little better every day. I have to go back in November for a 4 week checkup. The doctor said she may have to make a small adjustment because the repaired eyelid is 1 mm too low. I hope the lid raises that much between now and then.

Now that I have medicare (I couldn't afford health insurance for 8 years, we have the highest premiums in the US) I'm seeing doctors and getting tests and xrays every few weeks, until I get caught up. So far the worst thing we've found is that my hip is having some problems, from an old ski injury that happened almost 50 years ago. I can see "hip replacement" in my crystal ball! At least I'm in the right place, we probably have more orthopedic surgeons per capita than anywhere else in the US. Everyone has old crutches and walkers in their closets from ski and bike injuries. If I was still drinking I don't know how in the world I'd be able to do this.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope no further surgery is necessary Joe

D
Old 10-17-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Somehow they can "adjust" the lid height in the office. Got me...

Doing well this week. Business is finally starting to pick back up. I re-joined my spinning group, I really enjoy that. Going 2-3 times per week. It's the highest spinning studio in the US, at 9600 feet. I also have a gym pass to our rec center, which is fabulous. Trying to go there 2-3 times per week as well. Nordic ski season should start in about a month, looking forward to that! It feels so good to be doing the things I love again, and being sober when I do them. Amazing.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Administrator

All sounds great Joe