Notices

21 days down and lovin it.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days down and lovin it.

Day 22 for me today. Things are going surprisingly easy for me. Kind of hard to believe. I keep thinking the worse is yet to come but I dont know. I drank a ton, for a long time and figured this would be next to impossible. Instead I find myself just cruising along. No real desire to drink except for fleeting thoughts once in awhile when it was a habit to grab a shot. No real cravings that I had to fight off except maybe the first few days. While I thought about it daily for that last 10 years or so I had not even planned to quit. It was a spur of the moment decision one morning when I just decided to not buy rum anymore. Then over that weekend I was convinced to quit outright by this forum. So I did. It all seems to be going all to well but I guess I'm not complaining. Just seems to good to be true so I'm keeping my guard up but I dont want to drink, dont have cravings to drink, and dont miss drinking. That would be like saying I feel like catching a cold or something. Its kind of just the same ol same ol except I feel better and am spending $400/month less. I dont know, but thats where I'm at. Thanks for the advice and support so far SR.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff! I might have asked you before, but what will you do to put a recovery plan in place underneath these good changes? Everyone's experience is easier at some times and harder at others, and I know that learning a new way of living sober- then seeing all the rewards like spending less for sure!- got me started and keeps me sober.

Keep going!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Abraham, that's great news!! Glad that you have so many days behind you! I sadly haven't made more than a few so I will think of you to keep me going!!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time adds up quick NorthernLass. Three weeks ago three weeks seemed like an eternity. Now its here. No big plan in place. No big changes in what I do for fun. My fun things are still fun without drinking. I'm passionate about sailing so still doing that without drinking. Playing with the family and going out to some events are just done with no drink. I find I still have just as much fun or more. I ofcourse anticipate the situation before I go out but have no problem just telling folks I'm trying to quit drinking cuz I was a total drunk. I drank from a young age cuz thats what we were doing in high school through our mid 30's when gradually folks went off and got married etc... and stopped hanging around. Next thing I know its just me at home still drinking at age 47. No real reason I drank other than fun and habit so nothing really to cope with. I luckily dont have major issues in life that I have to cope with other than I drank to much. The plan is to live the life I have, which I love, without drinking constantly. In fact I can get out more often now because I was staying at home and avoiding some of the stuff I loved because I wanted to stay home and drink. Lots of folks have to change alot. I still dont totally understand why(I assume alot of it is issues not related to drinking). Not saying its not good for them but I'm already doing what I like and have a nice life that I enjoy. I was just drinking to much and now I am not, and that was the plan.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No major changes for me either except a bit more discipline and routine which I like anyway. No expectations of a “Damascus” moment where my life will be completely turned around either. It does not work that way. We do what we do without the added stress of being a drunk. That’s enough.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work Abraham, I can relate. I'm on day 307 now, and I feel like this sobriety thing has been a lot easier than expected. I almost feel guilty about it as it seems like so many on here have it way worse. I consider myself lucky/blessed.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been where you are. I found it quite easy too when I decided to stop. Had a good life no problems. Just drank too much. Felt so great and had no real cravings. Was in Sr a lot but nothing else.

About 6 weeks later i wanted a drink. It hit me from nowhere. Unexpected. Powerful. Seriously I'd not drunk for 6 weeks quite easily so I obviously didn't have a problem? I had no coping skills to deal with the cravings. No plan. Nothing . So I drank.

It might not happen to you. I hope it doesn't but can't do any harm to have a plan as to what you will do if it does.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think alot of folks here have one or several other issues other than just alcohol. Which is where the therapy and having to change up your whole life comes into play. Its hard to understand for someone without these issues. If your lucky enough to not have a major issue AND are an alcoholic it makes it alot easier I would imagine. I cant imagine being depressed for instance, and I'm sure quitting alcohol or doing anything is alot harder in that case. Seeing all these cases where people are fighting several issues on top of alcoholism make it seem almost like its just normal alcoholism when its not. Its that and more. When its just alcoholism it makes it alot easier but after seeing otherwise all the time it makes it seem too easy to just drop the booze and have no further issues. We can only feel blessed to "only" have a problem with booze. Other drugs and mental/physical issues? Whole nother story which I have absolutely no experience with. I'm just glad I got smart and decided to try and quit drinking. So far so good.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
can't do any harm to have a plan as to what you will do if it does.
Essential I would imagine. Thanks to this forum I do have a plan for that and believe I will have the coping skills to fend off a massive craving. I anticipate several of those times. I know the demon hits hardest when its almost defeated. I know that becoming content(specially around the 2 and 3 month mark) can come back to bite you. The thought that you are fine and can drink etc... Its basically pounded into your head if you read anything here or in most recovery literature. Thanks for the reminder although I try and stay hyper aware of those exact sort of things. Of course it wont always be easy. I may relapse hundreds of times, I may not. Its all possible. I'm just taking it one day at a time.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 21 so really happy with that. It's not the longest I've been sober before but it really has been different this time, I feel like I'm making more of an effort to keep myself busy and improve

Major thanks as well to SR. The support and encouragement are what keeps me going as I am doing this alone. No one in my circle of friends or family know and it's important to me to keep it that way.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Over 3 weeks is wonderful, A!

I've also been fortunate that cravings have not been a problem for me so far. I too, am going about life as usual, just without the alcohol.

I know from some of your other posts that you are self-reflective and aware that cravings may come at any time for any of us. So, no advice or suggestions from me.

Each person has to go about this a little bit differently, as long as we end each day sober, then it's an awesome day.

Congrats, A!!!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I figured you relapsed when I saw you posting in the July class. Thank goodness. Zombie, have you met mummy yet? Your two names always crack me up, in a good way. Good for you doing it on your own. Nothing wrong with getting help but if you dont need it all the better. Best of luck to you. I follow most of your posts because I know you are right in my quit zone. Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you nadt. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No problem!
believe me, if I was in any way near relapsing, I would post here first!

It's funny because I have been telling people in work I'm on a health kick and I've declined invites out because I've explained- not drinking, on a health kick (which is sort of the truth!) But someone said to me today about did I feel better for it. Nearly couldn't shut myself up about how better I feel!
I am definitely eating better though too so I suppose that helps too. It being Monday, I heard about people's boozy weekends and how people were ill all Saturday or regretted getting drunk,etc and all I could think was "how could I miss a weekend lost to drink?"
Old 07-01-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I've been where you are. I found it quite easy too when I decided to stop. Had a good life no problems. Just drank too much. Felt so great and had no real cravings. Was in Sr a lot but nothing else.

About 6 weeks later i wanted a drink. It hit me from nowhere. Unexpected. Powerful. Seriously I'd not drunk for 6 weeks quite easily so I obviously didn't have a problem? I had no coping skills to deal with the cravings. No plan. Nothing . So I drank.

It might not happen to you. I hope it doesn't but can't do any harm to have a plan as to what you will do if it does.
^ 100% This. I had no life problems. I just drank too much as well. Did Dry January every year and it was easy, but trying to moderate after never was (fine if I went for dinner. Could drink just one easily, but the weekends were a different mess of a story)

I'm on day 338 now and definitely not taking the ease of quitting lightly. Recently, odd things have triggered me. Going for bottomless brunches with friends and to bars doesn't trigger me. However, cleaning up some prosecco my husband had spilled on the counter triggered me last week. The smell made me instantly want to drink mimosas. I've smelled literally dozens of drinks (including prosecco many times) and poured dozens of drinks for other people over the past year with no problem, but out of the blue the smell of booze on a cloth made me want to drink. I'm on guard ALWAYS.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks, Abe! Keep it up!
Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job! I think we have the same day of sobriety (June 10). Congrats!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 weeks Abraham.

D
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to go Abraham!! I’m happy for you. It is good to hear how great you are feeling. It gives me hope. I got to where you are last time I quit. I am fighting to get there again.